Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Singlespeed for XC racing?
  • tommyk
    Free Member

Does anybody here have any experience of racing XC (not enduro) on a S/S? I have witnessed many amazing acts of endurance on singlespeed in big multi hour events but never over just 1-2hrs. Is it viable for a 4-5 lap dash?

I ask because I have so many ‘mechanicals’ it just isn’t funny, I would love to sell my geared steed as it frustrates me massively.

Need a quick sanity check before committing to S/S only!

tazzymtb

on 1-2 hour race SS will never beat the gearies, have you thought about 1 x9 or 1×10?

how come you have so many mechanicals?

qwerty
    Free Member

Feel the smugness radiate as you pass racers on their geared “steeds”

Rorschach
    Free Member

I’ve raced ss at tne merida/crc’s,Dyfi etc for the last few years and usually finish in the 20somethings overall,I’ve not really ever thought it held me back.What I loose at the start I claw back at the end.The longer the race the better I finish usually.
    I started racing cx 2 seasons ago and naturally went ss.The problem was I’d never have the time to retake the time I’d lose off the start.And then not be able to kick at the end.So I stuck gears on….and promptly went slower,until I remembered how to ride with gears again 😕
    Next year I quite fancy racing some midlands/nps xc races and I assume it’ll be much like cx only bumpier so I’m looking to put gears on the mtb (only 6 mind you) and ‘gasp’ suspension!!
    TBH its taken me a few years and a lot of riding to get to the point that the lack of gears was slowing me down and not a lack of fitness.
    What was the question again??
    Oh….get an Alfine..

njee20
    Free Member

They’re not xc races though, as was asked about.

Plenty of people do race xc on a SS, but it is a handicap. Agree that 1×10 is a better solution, what are all the problems you have – why not address those?

tommyk
    Free Member

I usually manage to mangle 10 speed chains! I have to put most of that down to front mech issues. I have used 1 x 10 and 1 x 9 before and that’s pretty cool too, I ask because I have built up a s/s 29er and i’m sick of replacing parts on my 20 speed race bike. Every year it costs 100’s in parts (I race through the winter too) I intend to race the s/s at enduro’s (4hr cat) this winter. Maybe I could drop down a category in XC and be competitive?

trail_rat
    Free Member

If you think your fit enough go !

Ive had more than a hand full of good race results on a singlespeed ranging from short course xc(but not nationals)
    to solo 24.

I actually feel gears slow me down on most courses How ever if im going to new territory ill always ride gears – fear of the unknown since i turned up ar fyrish sxc with 2×9 ( middle and outer) and dnfed due to the steepness. On a rolling course lack of gears is ace but too much flat will leave you turfed out the back and too mucj climbinf will have you dying !

rents
    Free Member

I race my SS in xc races and compete with the geared guys. I love the simplicity and lack of maintenance required.
    Use, abuse, hose off and shove it away. I got 2 years out of a chain and rings!
    If you like to ride and not to fussed about where you come, go for it :0)
    PS if your down south, the SS champs are in two weeks time at Pippingford. worth coming to have a look

tommyk
    Free Member

Hmmm, food for thought! Think i’ll try the s/s over the winter at the enduro’s and save the geared bike for XC, going 1×10 again in the spring. I love the simplicity of the s/s but i guess it’ll kill me trying to stay in contention at the XC though.

tommyk
    Free Member

Rents, what ratio do you use and 26″ or 29″??

DIS

Raced at southern xc today in the open on SS for the first time, still have to wait till find out result but somewhere in the top ten i think and it may be my best result yet! Only raced with gears before but i seem faster on my SS (think i am just rubbish at using gears properly).

I would agree with the other post that if you wish to go as fast as you can and know / learn how to use gears then you will be quicker than on SS.

However i race for fun and just prefer riding SS so that is what i am sticking with. I also ride with flats for the same reason.

As to gear ratio i was using 34 front and 18 back on 26 inch wheels, But think i would have been better with 19 on back for the course at Pippingford Park. I suggest you have a couple of options with you at a race then swoop if needed after practice lap. I have found that for my level of fitness the standard 2:1 is to high for decent XC race courses. To compare, If i am riding in the new forest then i would use 36 at front and 16 / 15 at back.

Hope this helps

rents
    Free Member

Rents, what ratio do you use and 26″ or 29″??

If im riding around thetford or somewhere similar im on 32/15. Rode 32/16 at Ballyhora last weekend and will probably stay the same for pippingford. thats on a 26″ rear wheel.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’ve done it…probably unlike most above 🙄

It’ll only slow you down if you spin out IMO

donsimon
    Free Member

Surely it’s about averages and strong areas and weak areas, no?

Manchester-Trev
    Free Member

your quite quick tho Rents…. ;o) You can be quick on a SS, the one and only MTB race ive won was on a SS beating geared riders ( it will never be repeated!), I beleive Jon from JRA has even won an NPS sport race on a SS, all down to the rider, I prefer SS to 3×9 or 2×9 gears, but 1×10 is the future for me…

tommyk
    Free Member

Looks like a 32/18 on a 29er works for me at the moment, I’m a spinny rider anyway. Can still grunt up most stuff. Wheels are 2kg though, looking at crest (400g) rims instead of the arches I bought (500g rims)

njee20
    Free Member

Crests are more like 340g. But Arches arent 500g!

arrpee
    Free Member

Once witnessed Rik Allsop (Drumlanrig trail builder) racing singlespeed at the Kirroughtree round of the Scottish Cross Country series. Think he just missed the podium in very fast company.

Could be viewed as a good start line intimidation tactic!

thomthumb
    Free Member

don’t see why it would be an issue. i have raced plenty of gorricks and done ok (top 1/4-1/3rd in sport) and there is a chap who regulary gets on the podium on a ss.

training will have to adapt.

tommyk
    Free Member

Haven’t been in here for a while, but I can assure you than arch 29’s in white are 500g each and crest 29’s in white are 400g the white powdercoat adds 30g per rim over anodised black. The weights njee qouted are closer to 26″ rims (check the notubes site). I might sell my geared bike and pimp up some race wheels with american classic s/s hubs supercomp spokes alloy nipples and black crests, just to make sure this thing flies. I seem to beat the geared bunch up climbs as long as I don’t spin out, for most singletrack the gear is spot on anyway. Only spinny long flats/smooth descents where I sh#t out really. I’m really feeling the extra training benefit from the SS though, my legs are getting a kicking on every ride!

trail_rat
    Free Member

Once witnessed Rik Allsop (Drumlanrig trail builder) racing singlespeed at the Kirroughtree round of the Scottish Cross Country series. Think he just missed the podium in very fast company.

ha – i watched rik completely HUMP the entire masters field by a factor of minutes – perhaps even 10s of minutes on the trails he built on SS on the muddiest day ive ever ridden in ….. probably would have held his own in the expert/elite field !

njee20
    Free Member

Haven’t been in here for a while, but I can assure you than arch 29’s in white are 500g each and crest 29’s in white are 400g the white powdercoat adds 30g per rim over anodised black

Aye, as you say, missed the 29er bit 😳

I seem to beat the geared bunch up climbs as long as I don’t spin out, for most singletrack the gear is spot on anyway

That’s because you’re stronger/have no choice. If they didn’t have the ability to slow down they wouldn’t. If they were stronger than you they’d go quicker. Not really to do with the bike.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

That’s because you’re stronger/have no choice. If they didn’t have the ability to slow down they wouldn’t. If they were stronger than you they’d go quicker. Not really to do with the bike.

Well, you could argue he beats them up the climbs as the SS is a faster climber (as theres no choice), then they overtake him on the singletrack as he’s overdone the climbs? That’s how I always feel on the SS.

Janesy
    Free Member

Tom, I love your bike, flew on the single track. Just need to either stop my obsession with jumping or man my wrists up. :p

Guess it would stop me from falling off too.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

On the short course XC around here (Chilterns) the SSers seem to get a lot of the podiums.

Saying that, I wouldn’t race a National on one.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Singlespeed for XC racing?’ is closed to new replies.