Singlespeed CX anyone do it? Good ratio

Home Forum Bike Forum Singlespeed CX anyone do it? Good ratio

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Singlespeed CX anyone do it? Good ratio
  • Going to have a go at SSCX in the new year.

Never done a cx race so wondering whats the best ratio to go with for a SSCX bike?

36-16??

Happy with a 32-19 on my 29er.

Premier Icon tthew
    Subscriber

I have, a couple of times on my DayOne. Unfortunately I’d say it really depends on the conditions if you want to be competitive. I just use the standard 36-18 which is fine in really fast conditions, (unlikely!) but is bloody hard work in the soft. 36-16 is the ratio I use for road riding, would be way too hard work.

I run 32-18 on my 29er and happy with that, so I reckon, if it’s compatible crank wise a 32-16 combo may work well for you, (though I’ve not calculated what sort of gear inches that gives).

Premier Icon tthew
    Subscriber

32-16, 32mm tyre = 54.5 inch
    36-16, 32mm tyre = 60.8 inch
    32-19, 2.1inch tyre = 48.2 inch

Premier Icon jameso
    Subscriber

34 oval-16 but it’s a slog in the mud on climbs with no momentum. Never raced it.
    (34 oval-19 on my 29er for ref – ok on that for most stuff)

Most of the stuff I found on th’web seemed to suggest 42:18 was the standard but that seems pretty high to me.

I’ve run 39:17 and 42:21 at times, no science to those choice more what had lying around, issue I’ve found is the balance between not spinning out on the flat versus deep mud and hills.

Premier Icon oxym0r0n
    Subscriber

I was wondering the same thing the other day as considering it for spam winter challenge – day 1 too. Currently 42/16 for road but I imagine way too high for off (32/18 on my ss mtb but that is way too spinny for spam).
    Don’t really want to buy a new chainset and the smallest chainring I’ve found is 40t for 110bcd. Also have a nice white ind freewheel. Hmm…

Premier Icon jameso
    Subscriber

39-18 worked for me in the past on the same trails. So a 2.1-2.2 :1 ratio, roughly. CX racers will be fitter than me tho.

umop3pisdn

33×17, found anything higher too big for racing

john_l

I race & ride on 39/18 – it’s usually quicker to get off & run if you’re struggling to turn that over on short, sharp or claggy climbs.

JoB

38/18 so i can ride past john_l when he’s had to get off and run

😉

cynic-al

Only done 1 cx race, used 26″ ss mtb, 2:1 on that was perfect, which would translate to 36:18.

Keef

i normally ride 42/18 fixed on my CX bike,I did the Gogoo Hellcross in belgium on 42/19 and it was too high.
    Very muddy tho.

Kuco

Never raced but rode my CX with 38×18.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Singlespeed CX anyone do it? Good ratio’ is closed to new replies.