• This topic has 15 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Bez.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Singlespeed commuter wheels
  • JackHammer

Hello everyone,

I have a Kona Paddywaggon from i think 2008 (it’s grey with yellow rims).

I’m looking to replace the wheels in the near future and I was wondering what people would recommend.

I’ve had a browse on the internets and it’s thrown up miche wheelsets and the usual ebay fixie poser wheels.

The miche ones look ok, but it’s quoting about 2KG for the wheel set, is that normal? Or am I better of building/having built some openpros on hubs (which hubs?). I want something tough for so if they have to be ~2kg I’m not bothered I just want some insight.

I’d also prefer a braking surface as I am a wimp who uses the freewheel rather than full on fixie, but if possible i’d like the option to go fixie if I become a masochist.

Thanks in advance…

plus-one

Used wheels from these guys for few years been faultless even doing big miles 8)

https://singlespeedcomponents.co.uk/collections/single-speed-wheelsets-and-track-wheels

Lot sold out though 🙁

Yes most ss wheelsets are on heavy side

tinribz
    Free Member

I found the same so went to the LBS who built up on open pros. Not the cheapest option though.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    kerley
    Free Member

If you build up using open pros you will still be around 1800 grams (Unless you go for very light spokes)
    Singlespeed/fixed hubs tend to be fairly heavy as they have bolt on axles (although you can use a road front hub to save weight)

A lot of singlespeed wheels have a fixed side and single speed side so that is not hard to find.

crazy-legs

After I destroyed the cheap hubs and freewheel on my Langster I went for GoldTec hubs on Mavic Open Pro with a White Industries freewheel.

The WI has had new teeth once and new bearings twice. The hubs have been re-rimmed once. That’s in about 50,000 miles though. The first set of wheels lasted 20,000 miles or so.

They weren’t cheap but the hubs are absolutely bombproof, the freewheel is lovely and it’s nice building your own wheels. They’ve been faultless. I reckon I can get another year out of these rims then it’ll be time to re-rim the hubs again.

Edit: this hub

JackHammer

Awesome thanks.

Are open pros the go to rim or is there something tougher/better

Looks like I’ll be browsing and comparing some more.

@crazy-legs that hub looks nice, but spendy. I’ll keep it in mind though.

whitestone
    Free Member

When I was converting my old commuter to singlespeed I had a similar problem. But I needed disk compatible hubs. In the end I went with some cheap wheels from on-one. Not the lightest and I’ve only done just over 1000Km on them so far but I wasn’t wanting to spend loads on a bike that I’d only use occasionally.

Looking at the cost of a new Paddywaggon I don’t think I’d want to spend much more than £200 for a wheelset

brakes
    Free Member

I’ve struggled with this in the past – no one seems to want to make off-the-shelf single speed wheels that aren’t heavy.
    I bought some from SJS Cycles a few years ago and they are bomb proof but heavy with 36 spokes!!!

thomthumb
    Free Member

some track hubs aren’t very wheel sealed – no need for the velodrome.

Goldtec rear and a ‘proper’ road wheel on the front is the nicest combo i’ve used.

Although on one track hubs and CXP33s, are light enough, stiff enough and spin nicely. the rear hub is on the original bearings and almost 10 years old. 😯

Surly hubs are very similar.

Miche road hubs are very nice – similar to hope – don’t know about there fixed wheels.

Hope also do track hubs.

HansRey

crazy-legs – Member
    After I destroyed the cheap hubs and freewheel on my Langster I went for GoldTec hubs on Mavic Open Pro with a White Industries freewheel.

The WI has had new teeth once and new bearings twice. The hubs have been re-rimmed once. That’s in about 50,000 miles though. The first set of wheels lasted 20,000 miles or so.

They weren’t cheap but the hubs are absolutely bombproof, the freewheel is lovely and it’s nice building your own wheels. They’ve been faultless. I reckon I can get another year out of these rims then it’ll be time to re-rim the hubs again.

I did this, nearly.

Goldtec front and rear hubs, DT Swiss rims and a WI freehub. Bombproof.

JackHammer

The bike is just a workhorse so I’d say my budget maxes out at £200, but I’d prefer to spend less.

I’m not bothered on them matching either tbh.

Thanks for the info.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Following this as I’m keen to SS my Roadrat and shove something on it thats pretty lightweight vs the Alfine setup I’m currently running.

Is there an off the shelf option for disc brakes anywhere?

kilo

Op Maybe just get a cheap shimano road wheel for the front to give you more budget for the rear wheel

whitestone
    Free Member

See the link in my post from earlier today, the Gipiemme Roccia wheelset for £70 is fine (so far). I’ve done a bit of canal tow path riding on them and they are still holding up fine. I put them on a Pompetamine frame (originally it had an Alfine hub gear), currently I’ve got 28mm road tyres on them but am thinking of sticking some bigger CX tyres for off-road adventures. I think the frame will take up to 40mm.

nicko74

Fwiw, when I needed to replace the cheap generic wheels my singlespeed came with, I went with H plus Son Archetypes on Formula hubs. They’ve been excellent; always true, and I think I’ve had one pinch flat in 5 years (compared to 5 in the 2 years preceding). I’d recommend them in a heartbeat, if your budget stretches that far

Bez

If you can build your own, you can get Miche track hubs for under £60 a pair, and you can fairly easily get perfectly decent rims for about £30 a pair and spokes for £20, leaving you £90 out of the arbitrary £200 for a lovely Eno freewheel, which IMHO is almost an essential item.

Or you could go for a Halo or Surly rear hub and a £10 Shimano front for about £10-20 more.

There’s not much to go wrong with singlespeed hubs, they’re just four bearings, so there’s not much to get excited by on the expensive ones.

the Gipiemme Roccia wheelset for £70 is fine

Except that for a singlespeed with rim brakes and a 120mm back end it’s completely useless 😉

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Singlespeed commuter wheels’ is closed to new replies.