Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Singlespeed. Chains/Rings/Cogs. Confused!
  • RDL-82
    Free Member

Any chance someone can help me along here.

Putting an SS Inbred together and picked some SLX M7000 1X cranks very cheaply. At the time didn’t consider the fact it was an 11spd ring.

Now I’m looking at rear cogs and they are 1 1/8 or 3/32.

Can I use either with the 11spd ring or am I looking at needing a new ring too?

I’m assuming the 1 1/8 will be an issue so ultimately I wonder if a 3/32 cog and chain will work fine with the 11spd ring upfront.

Apologies if a stupid q. Been away from biking for a bit now and even longer away from SS. All this 11spd is new to me!

Cheers.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Just use a 3/32 cog and a 8/9/10sp chain as takes your fancy.I’ve run a n/w direct mount ring and 10sp chain (it was lying around) for 2+ years with no issues (just thinking about replacing it now).

RDL-82
    Free Member

Cheers. I seem to vaguely remember reading something about the internal ‘space’ on a chain has stayed the same it’s the outer parts that have become thinner.

Still, I wasn’t sure.

Just need to find some I like now! Any recommendations?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Rorschach
    Free Member

Have a look at the Andel ones on Velosolo (same as Surly but £5 cheaper) or On One Groove Armadas.
    Wolftooth are stoopid money (as are Niner/King) and the Absolute black ones are made of cheese.

dovebiker

No need for a N/W chainring when running singlespeed, it’ll only wear more quickly. Unless you’re a strong rider with a history for breaking chains, stick with 3/32″ chainrings and sprockets and a 7/8 speed chain. You can use a wider 1/8″ chain on narrower chainring and sprockets but it will be noisier as the chain moves from side to side.

RDL-82
    Free Member

Only reason the NW will be used dovebiker, is because it’s already on the cranks.

Will be going 3/32 and cheers for the pointers Rorschach. I’ll check those out.

Andy-R

I can’t see why a N/W ring will wear more quickly than a normal ring – and 1/8″ chains are no stronger than 3/32″.

Rorschach
    Free Member

I’m not sure why n/w wear faster……but they certainly do on geary set ups.The ring on my ss got swapped from the geared bike as after 6 months it would drop the chain repeatedly.It has done another 2 years on the ss but is pretty pointy now and I fancy going smaller (28-16)for a bit more ground clearance.

dovebiker

Of course a NW chainring will wear quicker as the teeth are half as thick – I have 25 year old track chainrings that look almost new after thousands of miles

Rorschach
    Free Member

the teeth are half as thick

birdage

If you’re looking for an 18 tooth I’ve got a spare but dirty Surly!
    £7. Email in profile.

dovebiker

Narrow-wide chainring profile – the metal of the teeth that engages the chain roller is narrower than the chain roller:

Rorschach
    Free Member

singlespeedstu

the teeth are half as thick

Half as thick as you? 😛

dovebiker

singlespeedstu

Would a thick, thick chainring last longer?
    I recon it’d last for ever.

sillyoldman

I’ll point out what’s been hinted. The narrow teeth are standard width – same as any regular chainring. The think ones are thicker than standard so as to interact with the plates on the outer links. A standard ring doesn’t do that, and that’s what aids its chain retention.

The 7000 ring is steel and should last well.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Spoilsport SOM.
    I’ve got another half dozen Gifs ready to go here 😥
    Top marks to Dovebiker for Meme’ing himself though.
    Chapeau.

Rorschach
    Free Member

OK one more…

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Singlespeed. Chains/Rings/Cogs. Confused!’ is closed to new replies.