Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Singlespeed – chain slipping/skipping Q
  • dawson

I’m a relative newbie to SS’ing – I converted my old bike to SS using one of CTBM’s kits – all good – so much so, that the chain, and sprocket wore out so I have replaced them with new and gone to a SS-specific Salsa chain ring.

On the highly scientific ‘test it up and down the street’ the chain seems to skip/slip when under load (honking out of the saddle)

I think the chain-line looks ok. The sprocket was just a cheapo 16t from CTBM.

Would a more expensive cog with taller teeth make much difference?

Would shortening the chain help?

Thanks in advance

letmetalktomark

Frame flex or slightly bent hanger can result in skipping.

Cn you get the tensioner to push up for better wrap?

muckytee
    Free Member

get that chain as short as possible

jonba
    Free Member

Flex,
    Freehub skipping?
    Chainwrap round the sprocket – try a push up tensioner (bodge with cable tie to test or shorter chain)
    Narrow chain meaning that the sprocket teeth are not engaging the chain properly (can also be a bent hanger throwing the alignment out on the front chainring) – try a straight edge to check the chain line with tensioner fitted.

dawson

Don’t know about the tensioner, would have to look to see if I could reverse the spring somehow, so it pushed up

muckytee
    Free Member

I had the same tensioner and the same problem, having the chain as short as possible and therefore increasing chain wrap sorted it for me. I wasn’t able to reverse the spring, you may have more creativity/engineering skill than me however. I run a Gusset bachelor and it’s does a fine job.

Keef
    Free Member

if you cant reverse the spring,take it out,and use a cable tie wrapped around the chain stay and tensioner in ‘pull up mode’
    it WILL work !
    shorten chain as much as possible,a half link may help.

Muke
    Free Member

Shorten the chain and ask Charlie what he thinks

charliedontsurf

[video]http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=L-n0m6jMOCE&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DL-n0m6jMOCE[/video]

Check the tensioner is loaded and working hard.
    If you can get another link out of the chain it will help a lot.

Let me know how it goes

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Singlespeed – chain slipping/skipping Q’ is closed to new replies.