Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Singlespeed chain question
  • Smuzzy
    Free Member

Hi, I've just completed the build of a SS 29er Scandal and am a bit confused between the 1/8" and 3/32" chain issue. I'm runing a Shimano 770 XT chainset with the big and small chainrings removed and a bashplate fitted. The rear is a 20T On-One Groove Armada cog. The bike came with a KMC 710SL Ti Nitride Track Chain 1/2"x1/8"x114. Is this correct or am I better using a standard 9 speed chain?

Sorry, but it's my first foray into this Singlespped world 😳

ReallyOldGit
    Free Member

I am running a 1/8 chain on my SS, Shimano LX Chainset, runs just fine. Clearly the drivechain will run the thinner/lighter 3/32 chain, but I must admit I like the security of the beefier 1/8 chains, seems pretty std fare on SS

Smuzzy
    Free Member

So its more of a strength issue rather than cog teeth spacing. It seems to run OK but does rattle a bit against the bash guard. I guess I could space the guard out a bit with some thin washers/shims.

oxym0r0n

3/32 for me – no problems for years but Dibbs off here will tell you he runs a 9 speed chain with no problems too. Try both see what you like?!

There seems to be no "correct" way to chain your SS although I'm sure others will say differently 😉

Smuzzy
    Free Member

Sorry to be thick, what does the 3/32 or 1/8 refer to. I'm assuming its something to do with the width or thickness of the sideplates?

tragically1969
    Free Member

Its the width of the hole that the sprockets engage in, hence you can run an 1/8 chain with 3/32 sprockets but not the other way round

cynic-al
    Free Member

1/8 less likely to de-rail. Some say they are weaker as generally not so good quality.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Singlespeed chain question’ is closed to new replies.