Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Singlequackworld – STW quacks do your best…
  • perthmtb
    Free Member

So I’ve been off MTB for a month now with back pain. Ache and occasional stabbing pain at bottom of spine, accompanied by near constant shooting nerve pains down both legs. Worst when I sit at a desk all day. No particular injury moment, just came on over a period of days and one morning – wham – couldn’t get out of bed!

So, got a CT scan of my lower back today, and they gave me the x-rays to take home, and I’m not seeing the doc again till Monday afternoon.

Which means I’ve got a whole weekend to worry myself silly with amateur diagnosis 😆

So, knock yerselves out STW tell me what you think the X-ray shows?

My suspicion revolves around the lowest vertebrae ‘gap’ in the picture – framed by the two white lines. Should the vertebrae really be touching like that at the back, and what the ‘ells that white stuff oozing out from the same point – prolapsed disc? And why are the vertebrae on either side of this site coloured white, rather than clear like the rest – eek!

So that’s my diagnosis based on absolutely no medical knowledge whatsoever – what’s yours?

Oh, and any real doctors are welcome to chime in too – afterall it’s a free country 😀

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Have you tried having a really good poo?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

You have cat AIDS. Sorry to have to break it to you like that.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Have you tried un-curling your tail?

klumpy
    Free Member

MOST lower back pain simply requires physio (or stretching and exercise if you prefer). I don’t think you can detect oozes of squidgy stuff on x-rays. You are not a radiologist. I doubt anyone else on this thread will be either*. Being sent from hospital to GP is the good way round. You’ll be fine.

(Well, bits of you will.)

*for example, to me that looks like an x-ray of your foot. And some lamb chops. I think you have a veruca. I am not a doctor.

perthmtb
    Free Member

Have you tried having a really good poo?

I’d love to, but unfortunately it’s too painful to .. er.. strain!

glupton1976
    Free Member

I’d be going for nerve root compression at L5-S1 caused by damaged disc. The two levels above it aren’t looking too clever either though.

We weren’t designed to sit…

wwaswas

I’d love to, but unfortunately it’s too painful to .. er.. strain!

Picolax!

Go on, do it 😉

[edit]

although I’d be surprised if;

I’d be going for nerve root compression at L5-S1 caused by damaged disc. The two levels above it aren’t looking too clever either though.

hadn’t done the trick 🙁

perthmtb
    Free Member

Now that sounds like a man who knows what he’s talking about, I just wish I understood what you just said 😀

glupton1976
    Free Member

What I”m about to tell you isnt strictly true, but it’ll do. The big gap down the middle of your x-ray is a tunnel that carries the spinal cord. At the level of every disc branches come off of it and go and do stuff to certain segments of the body – the beginning of those branches are called nerve roots. If the disc bulges into the tunnel those nerve roots get compressed and cause pain, numbness or weakness. The narrow level that you pointed out is L5-S1 – the bottom of your lumbar spine and the start of your sacrum.

perthmtb
    Free Member

What I”m about to tell you isnt strictly true, but it’ll do. The big gap down the middle of your x-ray is a tunnel that carries the spinal cord. At the level of every disc branches come off of it and go and do stuff to certain segments of the body – the beginning of those branches are called nerve roots. If the disc bulges into the tunnel those nerve roots get compressed and cause pain, numbness or weakness. The narrow level that you pointed out is L5-S1 – the bottom of your lumbar spine and the start of your sacrum.

So – give it to me straight…. will I ever be able to poo again without it hurting?

glupton1976
    Free Member

Only with Picolax.

perthmtb
    Free Member

So – give it to me straight…. will I ever be able to poo again without it hurting?

Only with Picolax.

Oh shit!

qwerty
    Free Member

Why have you put up an upside down xray of

wwaswas

Oh shit!

or not.

the choice appears to be yours.

scaredypants

I think you may be about to have a baby robin

perthmtb
    Free Member

I must add I’m also little disappointed in the quality of the image. At a couple of million quid for a CT scanner, you’d think they could have at last wiped the lens with a tissue before they took a snap, so it didn’t look like it was snowing in there…

DrP

It’s a trick question.. That’s not an X-ray…..(or more specifically, it’s not a plain lumbar radiograph)

This is up there with “how did Moses round the animals onto the ark”….

DrP

DrP

However….
    When the report comes its bound to include the phrases “disc space narrowing at l5-s1” and something along the lines of “lower vertebral sclerotic changes”.

Anyway, can I have your bike if it’s Ti or carbon?

DrP

perthmtb
    Free Member

Now there DrP, you’re being far too cryptic for me.

Do I take it I should hold off on booking the MTB holiday to New Zealand in six months time?

And sorry – no carbon for me, and anyway by the way things are going I may need to weld my two ally bikes together to make a wheelchair…

perthmtb
    Free Member

It’s a trick question.. That’s not an X-ray…..(or more specifically, it’s not a plain lumbar radiograph)

No, it was one of those whizzy spinney things, a CAT Scanner I think you guys in the white coats call ’em.

tinsy
    Free Member

I am pleased you cant see the lightbulb.

perthmtb
    Free Member

I am pleased you cant see the lightbulb.

There’s a bloody light bulb somewhere in that X-ray – no wonder my back hurts… Could I have swallowed it – or sat on it – er, accidentally of course 😳

Sancho
    Free Member

i’m sorry but this really is no place for this kind of thing, Perthmtb, you are best just waiting to see your doctor for a proper analysis.

I find it a bit offensive people showing this kind of thing and wanting answers on a forum, maybe Im a bit picky, but this is really not right on a public forum

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Who let Doctor SeriousPants in here?

😉

perthmtb
    Free Member

Oh do lighten up Sancho, sounds like you’re the one with the light bulb stuck up your arse!

I’ve been in pain and on meds for four weeks, I know the prognosis isn’t good, I’m not really asking for serious medical opinions, read my posts above – I’m just having a bit of fun to while away the boredom cos I can’t ride.

It’s my back afterall, not yours, and if I want to engage in a bit of frivolity to distract myself from the serious nature of it, where’s the harm in that?

It’ll get serious enough when I see the doc on Monday, and where will you be then, my concerned friend?

Sancho
    Free Member

didnt want to offend you, just I feel its not the right place.

glupton1976
    Free Member

Why is this kind of thing not right for a public forum?

bigyinn
    Free Member

George, what does the percentage on the graph represent please?

nick1962
    Free Member

You need to see an ATOS “expert”who will confidently diagnose that working is the best medicine, you good for nothing malingerer.

Jamie
    Free Member

I’m sorry to inform you, but you have crabs.

perthmtb
    Free Member

Shh, has he gone yet?

Ok, back on track…

I’m guessing it’s a relative measure of stress on the back, with it indexed at 100 for normal standing position.

That’s me straining to have a poo in the top right hand corner with the stressometer at 275 😀

wwaswas

I guess because the OP has yet to have an ‘official’ diagnosis.

Given some of the comments from medical people there is something there that indicates damage. The implications for the OP have not been made clear and it’s not been done in the environment of a ‘proper’ consultation to tell them the implications, prognosis and treatment that is available.

If it were me and I were a worrier (which I am) I’d be worried.

But the Op seems ok about it all so I guess it’s ok?

glupton1976
    Free Member

It’s relative pressure through the disc.

perthmtb
    Free Member

You need to see an ATOS “expert”who will confidently diagnose that working is the best medicine, you good for nothing malingerer.

Oh cr@p! Someone’s rumbled me. Seriously, do you know me Nick1962 (looks nervously over shoulder)

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Jamie, long time no see!

Nice crab action there!

glupton1976
    Free Member

BTW – the prognosis probably isn’t as bad as you think it is.

http://www.patient.co.uk/health/Prolapsed-Disc-(Slipped-Disc).htm

perthmtb
    Free Member

If it were me and I were a worrier (which I am) I’d be worried.

Now I’m worried that you as a worrier, are not worried because you think I’m not a worrier, which I am…I think?

BTW – the prognosis probably isn’t as bad as you think it is.

And now I’m really worried, because one of the few people on this thread who knows what he’s talking about is telling me not to worry, which obviously means it’s more worrying that I thought and he’s just trying not to worry me…

And on that note I’m going to pop a few happy pills and float off to painless slumber… have fun all 🙂

Stoner
    Free Member

I guess because the OP has yet to have an ‘official’ diagnosis.

Aye. And when I give him my unofficial diagnosis of Spinal Friction and prescribe him with 400cc cod liver oil applied rectally he’s going to shoot off and do it without a moment’s thought! Oh the humanity!

mulv1976
    Free Member

Its not the best place to be asking for a ‘diagnosis’ and you should wait for the report, but IMHO I would say you’ve got a nice case of degenerative disc ‘disease’ or lumbar disc degeneration there. There’s moderate to severe narrowing of the L5/S1 disc space with subchondral sclerosis (the white stuff) of the vetebral end plates. Its possible you’ve also got some modic changes (swelling/oedema) going on in the vertebrae too and a potential disc prolapse/bulge with bilateral nerve root compression at that level given the symptoms you describe (pain down the backs of your legs). An MRI would show this in more detail so I’d have a chat with your GP or neuro/ortho consultant about that.

It’s not the end of the world so don’t worry too much. Obviously its painful but your consultant/GP should discuss the options with you.

I would recommend time off sitting at a desk (it will be crucifying that disc) and spend some time lying on your back with an ice pack underneath you 20-30 mins at a time every 1.5-2 hours. But don’t put ice or a cold pack directly on your skin – you’ll get ice burn.

Obviously all IMHO so don’t take this as a definitive diagnosis or owt.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Singlequackworld – STW quacks do your best…’ is closed to new replies.