• This topic has 13 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by TiRed.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Single Speed QR advice please
  • downhillsquirrel
    Free Member

Anyone running QR axle on a horizontal drop out single speed set up? Does it work safely? Advice / experience

Cheers

DHS

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Shimano have been fine IME, never used anything else on my SS on the basis that Shimano are always the recommended ones and they work.

Or get some adjuster that hold the axle from moving.

schmiken

Yes and yes. You will probably need a chaintug and use a Shimano skewer.

Job done.

Stoner
    Free Member

I got belt and braces. Mainly becuase Im 95Kg and have to stand up and honk up the Malverns most of the time, and no QR is going to keep the axle in place under those conditions for ever.

I use 2x surly tuggnuts as I found even one would not neccessarily prevent slow creep of the axle. And Im tight for clearance in the rear of mine.

Junkyard
    Free Member

used various ones including shimano and hope and all be fine for me on vertical dropouts

mattsccm
    Free Member

It has worked for decades. Just use a proper QR not an external can one. Tensioners won’t be needed 99.9% of the time.

JoB
    Free Member

Shimano skewer and a DMR Chain-Tug in the driveside track-end here, no probs

Yak

Shimano skewer and one chain-tug on the drive side – all good.

40mpg

+1 for Surly Tuggnut. And you can open beer bottles with it (whichever way up the bike is)

nickc

yeah mostly OK, bolt up always better IME, but a decent Shimano QR will manage 99% of the time

2tyred

Yup, Surly chaintug on the drive side.

kayla1
    Free Member

I use a Halo bolt through (M5 nut and long bolt, basically) on my SS instead of a QR.

jonathan
    Free Member

Driveside Surly Tugnut and a Ti Salsa QR – been fine for years

TiRed

Runs fine on my Hope hub, but my Genesis has tensioning bolts pressing backwards so no slippage is possible.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Single Speed QR advice please’ is closed to new replies.