Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Single Speed Freewheel Problem
  • OrangeEvo
    Free Member

Does anyone have any recomendations for a quality single speed freewheel?

I have a 2009 Specialized Langster which makes an awful noise from the rear freewheel (or so it sounds). Sounds like half the bearings are missing – which they’re not as the bike is only a few months old.

I’m not brave enough flip the wheel and ride fixed yet. 😳

Does anyone have any recomendations for a quality replacement for the Shimano 16T freewheel at the back?

jonathan
    Free Member

White Industries – expensive but worth it.

tomlevell
    marty
    Free Member

free hub, sprocket and spacers.

wouldn’t go back to screw on freewheels.

RevWill
    Free Member

Just flip the wheel. Try it at least. Failing that, White Industries is the freewheel of choice.

Del

white industries.
    having said that, you could just try another shimano, as they seem ‘variable’. the one on mine is fine. TBH though the WI is in a completely different class. fully serviceable too.

mark_b
    Free Member

I’ve used ACS Claws for years without any problems and at a fraction of the cost of white industries.

samuri
    Free Member

just one point. When the shimano freewheels start making bad noises, do something about it quickly. It usually means they’re about to seize or die, and neither is a good thing.

GaryLake
    Free Member

OrangeEvo – how’s the chain line?

I have a noise like that on my IO and it’s where the chainline isn’t perfect and the chain essentially slides across the freewheel (talking mere mms) and slaps against the otherside under heavy pedalling.

It never showed up on a 16t but the bigger 18t cog highlighted a problem I wasn’t aware of.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

ACS can be pretty variable too, though I’ve found the 16t’s pretty reliable. The 17t version though, pretty much every one I bought blew up scattering its innards to the four winds in as little as 10 miles. I gave up and bought a WI 17t, my ACS 16t is still rolling along fine after 2 years mind …

Del

have seen others try the ACS. one died in a matter of weeks used offroad. the other is on it’s way out with use on the road in fairly short order too. like the shimano – variable.

OrangeEvo
    Free Member

Thanks for all the excellent advice.

I’ll fiddle with the chain line once more – although I have tried in vain to correct the problem in this way.

Otherwise I think I’ll order the White Industries freewheel – cool colours – you know how that matters :mrgreen:

offthebrakes
    Free Member

My White Industries broke in less than 2 years, although that’s 4 times as long as the Shimano one that preceded it. Like marty, I’ve gone back to freehub/sprocket/spacers now.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Single Speed Freewheel Problem’ is closed to new replies.