Single speed frame alignment problems

Home Forum Bike Forum Single speed frame alignment problems

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Single speed frame alignment problems
  • forexpipz

I’ve got tugnuts and xt skewers but its proving very frustrating to adjust.

forexpipz

I have an inbred single speed ltd frame 29er.

When I crank the wheel all the way forward the tyre catches on the stay on the driveside.

Is this normal?

Premier Icon brant
    Subscriber

That is down to a position of the slots in the dropouts and the magnification of any +\- errors on each side.
    The frame will be bang on straight, but it’s possible if you slide the axle forward to hit the front of the dropouts at each side it might be off cock a bit.
    I can’t see how this could be an issue as a singlespeed frame is never run in this position and part of chain tensioning is to pull the wheel back in the dropout slot and as you are doing this, keep the wheel central.
    You only need a tugnut on the drive side, allowing the other side to float and then be clamped up wherever.

Hope this makes sense.

orangeboy

Might be your wheel is a touch out of dish , but should not matter with a ss

forexpipz

Finally after a lot of play time with the tuggies I think I have solved it. I filed the dropouts with little gouges. I cranked hard uphill and no movement after a few 100 m uphill. Time will tell.

forexpipz

Brant. Have you considered that some people are trying to run single speed with skewers and not bolt on axles?

Please design your next frame with this in mind.

I know putting gouges in the dropouts adds to expense but its a nice touch. Also a massive grubby screw pushing the axle back wouldn’t be that hard to implement and would add little to the cost. You’d have made my life so much easier over the past couple of weeks.

Yes i will be getting bolt in hope but at the moment I just wanna ride.

Premier Icon Cheezpleez
    Subscriber

Eh? I’ve got the same frame and I use a QR with no issues. You shouldn’t need to file gouges in your dropouts

orangeboy

I’m confused how can the wheel slip if you have a tugnut thing

tazzymtb

I worried about the putting gouges in the frame?? I’ve run SS for years with on ones as well as all sorts of niche with QR’s and have never had a problem?

bencooper

Where are you putting the gouges? Because putting them on the outside of the dropouts doesn’t make sense with QRs.

69er

forexpipz – Member
    Brant. Have you considered that some people are trying to run single speed with skewers and not bolt on axles?

Please design your next frame with this in mind. 🙄

WTF!!! If anything would put me off setting up a bike related business dealing with the public it’s threads like this.

forexpip – the chaintug (you only need one) should be on the driveside and will, if set up correctly, prevent the wheel from pulling over under drive. Even if your title is ‘Sir Chris’

There’s no need to score your frame!

bencooper

Yes, if you listened to what customers say they want, you’d end up with a camel.

Premier Icon Stoner
    Subscriber

There’s no accounting for user error sometimes.

Now, this camel……?

bencooper

Camel: a horse designed by committee 😉

julianwilson

If a commitee designed it, where are the rack mounts? 👿

Premier Icon Clink
    Subscriber

I’ve used on-one slot drop-outs with qr (Shimano) and bolt-on (Hope) hubs for years – just one drive-side chain-tug as brant says. Never budged.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Single speed frame alignment problems’ is closed to new replies.