Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Single speed disc hub for commuter?
  • spaniardclimber
    Free Member

The rear hub of my day one disc doesn’t turn smoothly, it doesn’t have cartridge bearings but cones and ball bearings, I’ve managed to make it turn smoother by loosing the pressure on the bearings, but it still turns quite rough, so I guess it wont last long.

I’m looking for something durable that I can service myself. First thought was a Hope Pro 4 trials, a bit overkill for a commuter, but if is a no brainer it might be worth it, as I use the bike daily.

Any other suggestions?

epicyclo

Get a bag of new balls. So long as the cones aren’t pitted or rusty, that could make a huge difference for probably less than a quid (go to a bearing shop).

isitafox
    Free Member

Pro 2 trials? You’ll find a 2nd hand one easy enough and can sometimes pick them up for about £50-60. What gear ratio are you going for?
    Could maybe go with a fixed hub and screw on freewheel.

drofluf
    Free Member

Surly single speed hub. You’ll need a freewheel but it’s bombproof

mattyfez

May as well at least attempt a service the hub first, strip, degrease, regrease, possibly new bearings.

spaniardclimber
    Free Member

Thing with servicing it is that I have to source the correct ball size and I have no clue if it’s straightforward or there are 1000s of slightly different ball bearing sizes, I asked Genesis and they forwarded me to visit a dealer, and that is probably more costly than a new hub. I’d rather pay £100 for a wheel that doesnt require periodic maintenance. I might go to Evans and ask though.

I opened the hub and it’s properly greased, my guess is that the ball bearings need replacement.

(Im running the stock 17t)

isitafox
    Free Member

I’d go fixed hub and a screw on freewheel then, also be cheaper and easier to fix if it ever breaks.

spaniardclimber
    Free Member

That might be a bit more expensive: hub + WI eno + sprocket. I think I’ll got he Hope way as I already have the spacers for the freewheel and the cog (The Genesis has a cassette hub so I can reuse the cog).

kerley
    Free Member

I would go Hope hub as won’t be anymore expensive than single speed hub with WI (and WI is the only freewheel worth having). Ongoing costs are then down to £12 for a cog every year (instead of £70 for a WI Eno every year)

epicyclo

spaniardclimber – Member
    Thing with servicing it is that I have to source the correct ball size and I have no clue if it’s straightforward or there are 1000s of slightly different ball bearing sizes..

I opened the hub and it’s properly greased, my guess is that the ball bearings need replacement.

Remove one ball and take it to the bearing dealer. Easy. 🙂

spaniardclimber
    Free Member

Pity that on one is not for qr or 9 mm, otherwise it was the perfect candidate.
    The day one has a dropout design were two pieces pull the axle backwards and Im not sure the maxle can go through them, I’ll measure!

rOcKeTdOg

spaniardclimber – Member
    Thing with servicing it is that I have to source the correct ball size and I have no clue if it’s straightforward or there are 1000s of slightly different ball bearing sizes..

if only there was a place, maybe a shop, that sold bikes and serviced them, even the hubs!, lets call it a local bike shop shall we. i bet they’d service those hubs for a huge amount less than the cost of a new hub and wheel build.

well maintained cup and cone bearings will last years and years

epicyclo

rOcKeTdOg – Member
    if only there was a place, maybe a shop, that sold bikes and serviced them, even the hubs!, lets call it a local bike shop shall we. i bet they’d service those hubs for a huge amount less than the cost of a new hub and wheel build.

well maintained cup and cone bearings will last years and years

Indeed. 🙂

Or if the OP took one of his ball bearings to a bearing shop and got a bag of replacement bearings for less than a quid, it would save a wheel build with a new hub. 🙂

I think he’s really looking to justify some new shiny bits, and who here can blame him for that? 🙂

spaniardclimber
    Free Member

The OP is not new to cycling, the OP knows taking it to a shop can be fine if the shop has the bearing in stock and the cone is not screwed up. The OP knows that if that is not the case sourcing the bearings and the cone is going to take ages as it’s too much hassle for such a little benefit.
    The OP also doesn’t want to take the hub for servicing every few months as that means getting for a few days into Londons tube, which the OP knows very well, and doesn’t like that much.
    The OP might try changing bearings first and if that doesn’t work then change the hub.

rOcKeTdOg

Decent bike shop will have a bearing gage & if not in stock can get them in for the next day

nixie

Isn’t that on one hub for use with a 10mm skewer (dtswiss rws) in qr dropouts. Should be perfect.

cp

Pity that on one is not for qr or 9 mm, otherwise it was the perfect candidate.

It is for QR frames, you just run a 10mm qr through it. Eg DT, superstar etc…

spaniardclimber
    Free Member

I think I’ll get the hub, as the cassette pawls are starting to do that ‘cling’ noise more often than not, I’d rather go for a long term fix rather than a patch.
    The LBS is going to lace the wheel, so they will probably earn more, in less time and have less hassle!

Thanks for the advice guys.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Any old hub with a spacer kit? XT and service it once in a blue moon, even the freehubs are cheap and they’re the only real weakness.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Single speed disc hub for commuter?’ is closed to new replies.