Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Single speed CX bikes
  • fr0sty
    Free Member

Anyone race on one? I have the itch to try it and I enjoy single speeding…

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

Raced mine in the central league today. I’d probably be more competitive on gears, but I wasn’t last. 34×17, probably gonna change to 35/36×18 in the future.

SSBonty
    Free Member

Yep, depending on the course it can be perfect or a bitch. Will find out tomorrow if the advantages of no gears to clog will outweigh the disadvantages of singlespeed on a totally flat, almost certainly totally muddy course. I usually do best when there are plenty of short sharp hills, but not too steep or techy that I run out of legs. 36:18 here.

By the way umop – what’s the difference between 34:17 and 36:18?! The former is a tiny bit lighter too 🙂

pinetree
    Free Member

I’ve been thinking the same thing, though maybe not for racing. I’ve got all the parts I need to build one, just need a frameset. What’s the general opinion of a Pompino frame & fork? Worth plumping for something a little better?

clunker

Sure do 36×18

fontmoss
    Free Member

Mine is sitting at my dad’s place but did couple years in Nottingham and derbyshire league on a ss cross check. Great fun*

*fun is a loose term

pixelmix
    Free Member

Using my Gensis Day One as a pit bike and for “fun” races over winter – it wears slicks and a bigger gear for the commute the rest of the time. 44×20 which was spot on for a race last week.

original_upload by pixelmix, on Flickr

cycleofaddiction
    Free Member

20130718_171453 by cycleofaddiction 1, on Flickr
    Pompino’s make great sscx frames, I would use a better steel fork though or carbon, I’m running 38×18, I’ve had more fun riding this than any other bike and I ride it on 95% of the trails I ride my 29er mtb on

samuri
    Free Member

Yep, raced my pompino quite a few times (fixed). Never did very well, obviously but it was fun.

And of course, I still hold the fixed wheel record for the 3 peaks.

cycleofaddiction
    Free Member

kudos for riding cx fixed especially the 3 peaks..chapeau samuri

cycleofaddiction
    Free Member

i would imagine that is a very select category ?

plus-one

39×17 gets me round 🙂

samuri
    Free Member

i would imagine that is a very select category ?

There’s a few of us. 😉

JoB
    Free Member

i’ve raced SSCX, sometimes it’s a benefit, sometimes it’s a hinderance, sometimes it’s an excuse, sometimes it’s a matter of pride, there’s less to clean

TiRed

Anyone race a 26″ wheeled singlespeed? Just about to switch tyre and a rigid fork on my Genesis. For fun and frugality.

Not a huge choice of tyres though.

plus-one

I used to race a 26″ ss genesis cx it really hurts !!!! Mind you 32×16 is comedy low at cx.. Pop a decent gear on you’ll be flying 🙂

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

what’s the difference between 34:17 and 36:18?!

Oops, my mental gear inch tables are a bit off, I was sure that 36/18 was smaller!

john_l
    Free Member

Race a Singular Kite sometimes, 39/18. Much the same as racing a ss mtb – painful & fast.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Single speed CX bikes’ is closed to new replies.