Single Speed Cross Bike.

Home Forum Bike Forum Single Speed Cross Bike.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Single Speed Cross Bike.
  • nickwatson

Yeah, I do most of my commuting on a SS CX.

Gearing is 39/14 (or maybe 15), and suits how I like to ride. I started off 39/18 and was far too spinny. The great thing is that rear cogs cost about £3, so you can trial and error until you get it right.

Nick

Just built one but with flat bars and bar ends instead of drops, going to try 40-16 to start with

qwerty

38 x 18 for my off road winter gloop hack.

Keef

42/18 fixed,works grand for me.

44:17 for me on and off road , big climbs slow but doable

umop3pisdn

Just build up a Pompino for some CX racing, trying 39×17 for racing.

soma_rich

39×16 but I like spinning 🙂

Kuco

I used 38/16

starrman82

Hi
    I’m thinking of building up a single speed cross bike from a spare frame I have.
    Does anyone run a single speed cross bike & if so what gear size do you pull. I’m not planning on racing it just use as a winter hack.

john_l

Singular Kite – 39/19 for the South Downs, bit taller for racing

Premier Icon nedrapier
    Subscriber

Somebody on here has got a bloody lovely custom SS CX bike.

Can we have another look at it please? Go on…

Premier Icon nedrapier
    Subscriber

It’s good but it’s not right!

The one I’m thinking of has a seatmast.

Sorry for the hijack, starman! I’ve got a cx type thing, but it’s 1×9

dobo

Just build up a Pompino for some CX racing, trying 39×17 for racing.

That will hurt

john_l

Dean’s Speedvagen?

qwerty

Ooooh Speedvagen……

Premier Icon nedrapier
    Subscriber

That’s the puppy! I found a different pic of it, but I couldn’t be certain without the hedge.

umop3pisdn

That will hurt

Why’s that then? Genuine question, did one race last year on over 70” and although it was too big, it didn’t seem that bad.

john_l

It’s supposed to hurt!

JRTG

39:17 for me but then it is used off road on my normal MTB trails.

dobo

Why’s that then? Genuine question, did one race last year on over 70” and although it was too big, it didn’t seem that bad

im not particularly fast but raced plenty of mtb on SS and never had much trouble as you can pace yourself a bit but cx is a different beast and is more full on and demanding, one minute you can spin out on some flat tarmac, then the next can be on some brutal climb in mud which i just cant manage in that gear and running faster. i prefer to spin more as less painfull but some can manage the high gears ok.

Moses

I run a Kona Major One around town, 42 / 18 I think. getting up Bristol hills dictated a bigger rear cog. It’s a lovely lovely bike, or was before I started abusing it

ti_pin_man

It’s the only way to fly .

42:16 pretty flat around ere.

I use a genesis day one for commuting, and long rides mixing up road and off road. 42:17.

Premier Icon epicyclo
    Subscriber

48 front 20 rear

starrman82

Thanks all, CSS looks pretty popular, I think I’ll try 38/18 for now, partly as I’ve already got most of that combination. 🙂

17112012136 by cycleofaddiction 1, on Flickr
    38×18 lets me climb pretty much anything

IA

39:18 as it’s used for commuting and there’s a fairly savage 15% climb on the way home. I was doing it on 42:18 which is a bit more all-round usable, but I was nearly sick everytime I got to the top of the climb.

And yes yes I know you’re supposed to feel sick on CX bike, but really, at home time on a friday I CBA!

samuri

That speedvagon is sex!

unovolo

38/18 for me ,bit spinny on the flat and definetly down hill but can just about manage the routes I do on my geared MTB.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Single Speed Cross Bike.’ is closed to new replies.