Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Single speed
  • 1kcove
    Free Member

Thinking of giving Single speed ago, i have decided to start with a 32/18 set up, can anyone recommend a chain ring width type etc, chain type, rear Cogg type etc. i will be using an XTR Crankset (2009), frame is a Niner 29er.
    I not intending to spend loads on money high end kit to start with just in case i can’t handle getting up long hills out the saddle, then go back to 2X10. So any pictures of your builds or advise would be appreciated.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Superstar had nw rings at £15 with JANRING code or better still On One stainless steel ones for £11.24 (which is what I use).

dovebiker

Did 6 hours on 30×18 on my 29+ probably a touch too big for the steeper climbs but I did pass a roadie on one climb! Using a PX SS chainring and cheapo sprocket – NW rings are no benefit for SS except they wear quicker!

richardthird

But oval rings are awesomes!

Superstar £15 o/n/w and matching £10 cog spacer kit, 8 speed chain, 3/32 wide foot cog, sorted.

Gear it so you can just clear your steepest local climb. That’s 32:19 on the 29er for me at the mo.

jonwe
    Free Member

Bog standard 9sp deore steel 32t chainring is all you need and will last for years. And a set of short chainring bolts (charlie the bikemonger does those). You’ll need a chain tensioner – push up is better than down to increase the chain wrap round the rear cog (more wrap = less chance of it slipping). Try and make sure the chainring, rear cog and chain are the same width – sheldon brown is useful there. Oh and make sure your chain-line is straight and enjoy the peace and quiet of expensive bits not wearing out.

pictonroad

Its brilliant, I was turned about 6 yrs ago and I’ve been flogging the SS horse ever since.

scary_carey
    Free Member

I too have been SS for about six years and through the winter the SS is my go to bike. My current SS is an On One Inbred – 30/18. That combo is a bit “spinny” but I can get up all my local climbs so I can live with the compromise. The On One replaces my much loved and missed Orange P7 SS which got pinched last year.
    Every SS I’ve ever had I’ve always tried to build as cheaply as possible. Not really sure why, but there is something quite satisfying about flying past folk on “uber” bikes knowing you’ve spent less on your bike that what their seat post cost 😀
    Anyway 1Kcove take the plunge and work at it – its hard in the beginning, but pick easier trails and work up. You won’t regret it 😉

1kcove
    Free Member

Thanks for the replays, i no it will be tough but looking forward to the challenge. do i go 3/32 or 1/8 what do most people use, i will be using a Niner SIR9 which has the eccentric bottom bracket, 32 Chainring & 18t Cog, just got to work out which ones.

Rorschach
    Free Member

On One stainless ring. Groove Armada sprocket.SRAM PC1 chain.Everything for less than £25.
    Job jobbed.

dovebiker

I’d stick with a 3/32″ (7/8 speed chain) as it runs on normal thickness rings and sprockets unless you have a habit of trashing bikes. O-O SS chainring and Halo sprockets

giantx4
    Free Member

gotta love singlespeeding through the winter shite!! built mine from odds & sods in cave… running 26″ with 34/17 lovit

pictonroad

Down on the South Downs the SRAM single speed chain can wear past adjustment on a ebb in 8 weeks, it’s KMC all the way for all of us who’ve gone through a few winters single speed.

Cheap all the way though. ^ it’s the true path.

fin25
    Free Member

32×18 on a 29 plus gets me round the flatish trails here in the East Midlands, if I was somewhere a little steeper, I would probably go 30×18.

I used to be a rubbish mountain biker. After 6 months single speeding, I am still a rubbish mountain biker. I definitely have more fun being rubbish on a single speed bike though…

I had so much fun I built myself another for commuting on. You can do it very cheap, which keeps the in house bank manager happy too. 😉

spooky_b329

I’d go with the standard 9/10spd chain you have, and depending on the size use the existing front ring and choose a suitable rear cog and spacer kit.

Been riding mine several years now and only this month did I get a dedicated front ring without all the shifting ramps and half teeth. I got an oval ring which is brilliant but as suggested above, the narrow wide but is wasted on a singlespeed without a tensioner.

tazzymtb

Pfffft single speed? Bloody stoopid idea. There is a facebook group called onecog with hundreds of other single speedy buffoons from all over the world on it, nice kit pops for up sale and the apparantly they are actually helpful and stuff.

breadcrumb

A non-geared ring is worth getting, longer teeth help keep the chain in check.

Shimano DX SS sprockets are cheap to get you going. I tried a Gusset one but had to file the teeth down a tad.

I use 8spd SRAM chains.

It’s amazing what you can climb once you get in to it.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Do a few rides on your current bike in a similar sized gear without changing and see how you get on first

1kcove
    Free Member

Thanks for the advise Folks..

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Single speed’ is closed to new replies.