Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Single speed 29er complete bikes. C2W purchase. Ideas please.
  • pictonroad

As my commuter had been nicked thinking of killing 2 birds and picking up a single speed 29r. Commute is short and I’ve wanted one for a while. Has to have sliding drop outs or ebb.

I’ve found the cannondale, what else is about at this money? £600 limit

2nd hand fortitude is another option.

Any other ideas from the hive mind?

breadcrumb

How short is your commute? How hilly is your off road?

Gearing suited to hilly off road makes for slow road speed.

devash
    Free Member

Charge Cooker SS

Lovely looking bike, polished chrome steel frame, some about for as low as £450 in the sales. Rigid fork though but you can put a regular suspension fork on if you wanted to.

pictonroad

Rigid is fine, commute is a mile and I’m not in a hurry, have a 32:17 26″ so would gear equivalent to this for 29″

I have a charge duster and its a heavy lump, would prefer lighter if possible.

breadcrumb

One mile would be fine, 10 would be a chore on road.

When I got my Unit I found there wasn’t a massive amount of off the peg SS bikes in the UK.

Just had a look and they can be had for £680, I really rate mine.

corroded
    Free Member

I went with a S/H SS Fortitude, popped some Marathon Plus tyres on, Raceblades, 40:16 gearing, a bar bag. Will probably cut the bars down to help filtering. It’s been absolutely brilliant for my needs (10 miles across a city each way). Discs have saved my skin a couple of times. The 725 frame is very nice – it’s quick, comfortable and I have the option of putting knobblies on it for winter trail riding.

plus-one

I looked at kona unit(nice but bit weighty) fortitude again bit on heavy side and the cooker also lovely looking rig but wanted wee bit lighter ..

All roads led me back to cannondale £549 from discount cycles direct and I must say the finish and spec(bar brakes) are All very good and frame merits upgrading once parts wear out.. And it looks way more expensive in the flesh 🙂

Retrodirect
    Free Member

cannondale rides super well.

here’s mine.

Upgraded cranks, brakes next and changed the saddle as that was looking way too flash.

As stock it comes with nice wheels too, usually overlooked on complete bikes. decent rims w/ nice touches like blue spokes, already taped for tubeless and decent tyres

kimbers

Kona unit is an awesome bike

Stuck gears on mine though !

pictonroad

Cannondale does tick most of the boxes. Only thing against it is one of the group already has one. 😉

Also, the front end looks really high, slight concern it might be a bit wandery on climbs.

breadcrumb

The Cannondale was the other contender for me. I was afraid it could be a bit harsh but I know you can’t judge a bike by its material.

I prefer sliding drop outs over EBBs, chain tension can be easily adjusted mid ride if needed on the Unit.

brianp
    Free Member

The Cannondale is on offer at Triton, great bike for just over £500.

http://www.tritoncycles.co.uk/mountain-bikes-c1/single-speed-c19/cannondale-trail-sl-29-ss-mountain-bike-2014-p1967

They have SS on offer from Surly, Charge and Salsa as well.
    http://www.tritoncycles.co.uk/sale#c19

DrP

Only thing against it is one of the group already has one

Yeah, but he’s working nights now so rarely comes out!!
    Borrow his for a bash first, perhaps?

DrP

pictonroad

He’s given his blessing. :mrgreen:

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Single speed 29er complete bikes. C2W purchase. Ideas please.’ is closed to new replies.