Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Single Ring?
  • Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

For my next bike I thought I might for go to a single ring on the front, not quite ready for SS yet!

What would be the best front rear combo for a 120mm travel hardtail, used primarily over Kinver/Clent/Wyre/Peaks, you know, general pootling.

8,9 or 10 speed rear?

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

If you’re starting afresh, may as well go 10spd with as wide a range cassette as possible. I run a 12-36 cassette and 32t ring on both my bikes and thats spot on for Calderdale where I live plus its coped ok in the Lakes, Peaks, trail centres etc.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

Cheers matey . .

What’s the secret to running the chain most efficiently?

jupiter
    Free Member

Are the extremes of the cassette really usable, and what front ring do you use?

njee20
    Free Member

Yes they are fully usable. Definitely agree that if you’re starting afresh you should go 10 speed.

I use a 10 speed 11-36 with a 36t ring (personally a custom made ti one from Matias Helore), I’d personally find a 32-12 top gear undergeared, but it’ll depend on you.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

The extremes are very usable. I was a doubter before this but built up a 456 Summer Season on the cheap and ended up trying out 1×9 on that. Had me hooked so rebuilt the Blur 4X with a similar setup.

Use an MRP ring on the Blur and an On-One stainless SS ring on the hardtail. Big diffence in weight between the two but suspect the On-One ring will outlive me!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Single Ring?’ is closed to new replies.