Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Single ring advice pls
  • creedy
    Free Member

Hi all.

I am looking to go for a 1×10 set up. I’m currently running a 2×10 24-38 and 11-36. Barely use the 24 chainring(i think once over last 3 months)
    So i thought i’d shed a little weight and faff.
    i’m looking at either a 32 or 34 raceface N/W or Works. I also want to keep a bash guard as thats saved the chainring on many occasion.
    ive also just ordered a zee + wide range to accommodate this change.
    is there anything else i need to be aware of? current is 104 bcd

Thanks

BoardinBob

Narrow/ Wide chainrings seem to the order of the day. Quite a few posts in the last week. Check them out for very positive feedback. I’ve just gone 1×9 though I used an On One 32T ring and an e13 chain guide.

creedy
    Free Member

yeah looking at the N/W as dont want to use a chainguide. cheers

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    crankrider
    Free Member

Works Components & Raceface seem the choice of the moment £35 for a Works One or £42 at online discounts for a Raceface…

People seem happy with either, i went Works but would happily go RF too, its always nice to save a fiver and buy from people who make stuff in this country though…

Ring is working just great 🙂

Will probably buy a RF 30t when back in stock (waiting forever!)

creedy
    Free Member

Thats the main bit i can’t decide on. 30-32 or 34! like i said i do most my riding on the 38 so was thinking 32 as thats bang in the middle of the range, but would i miss the power on the 38. So a 34 would be a compromise!

kayak23

Depends where you ride really. Personally I’ve gone 32t as I’m not too bothered about cranking down fireroads. Seems to be about right for most stuff.

Buzzard
    Free Member

Ive just fitted by 1×10 setup. It struck me however that the clutch mech is doing most of the work. So I went with a EThirteen G Ring (as its what I had) and I’m going to see how that works or doesnt without a guide. The winter is going to be the real test for the NW chainrings. read somewhere that Shurter is now using a guide on his single ring setup so maybe thats an indication of wear issues?

creedy
    Free Member

Hmmm. I ride everything really. Blacks where avaiable, natural where its good, BPW couple of weeks then Alps next year. So setting up as a do it all bike. the ring wear has been mentioned a few times on here.
    would the bash deflect keep a bit of crap away from the ring, or is it more the ahbrasion through the chain and the crap on that?
    thinking 32 works at £35

patriotpro
    Free Member

Works don’t do a 30t. And depending on what cranks you have you may not be able to use a 32t without some sort of diy as the chain rubs on the ‘spider’ apparently.

I have a 34t and has been fine in the dryness of Summer but imagine it will be a handful keeping traction with it in the bog of Winter.

I

t struck me however that the clutch mech is doing most of the work

Agreed Buzzard. Please report back on your findings with the non-fat/fin.

rOcKeTdOg

Race face 30T come with spacer built in so chain clears a shimano crank easily

Apparently Sram are pursuing a lawsuit over patent infringement which may explain the lack of RF restocking

tinsy
    Free Member

If your keeping your bash anyhow, just get an n gear jump stop on the inside & use any old chainring it wont drop & will be cheaper than specific chainrings.

creedy
    Free Member

Didn’t Sram stop Works as well? They’ve just restocked so must have sorted something out!
    Anyway ordered a 32 and i’ll see how it goes. There seems to be a few with the same set up on the other thread regarding this.
    I’m surprised one of the mags havent done a full how to how not to article. They mention it and how great it is but not what to look out for and potential pitfalls off the set up, ie the 32t catching on the spider! too late.

djflexure

Spinning pointlessly bothers me more than honking uphill -so I’d go for a bigger gear personally.
    Its surprising what you can get up after a while, including inclines I don’t always clear with 10 sp (work that one out).

EDIT: talking about SS but same applies

rOcKeTdOg

m surprised one of the mags havent done a full how to how not to article

Also awaiting lawsuit result

creedy
    Free Member

^^^ 🙂 ^^

Yeah the spinning bit ive never got on with either. But if its too small i’ll take a little hit and sell it on. Thats when i see most people wobble off their bikes. Too busy ridiculously spinning to have any actual forward momentum. Saw quite alot of this on ltb on saturday.

patriotpro
    Free Member

Re the lawsuit – Do SRAM own the skinny/fat patent?

crankrider
    Free Member

Apparently Sram are pursuing a lawsuit over patent infringement which may explain the lack of RF restocking

That or they have sold so bloody many they cant keep up?

E13 are releasing thiers soo, Csixx have one, Works, Raceface, Wolf tooth, Betd….would they all do that if sram was about to bring some legal pain their way?

creedy
    Free Member

I think my understanding is they hold a patent on the application of the design. So for bicycle componantry. As the orginal was for chain driven agricultural machinery in the 70’s.
    So i think they sort of do. But thats what the lawsuit is about. Works did put something on their site in this regard and it was a long thread on here a couple of months ago.

creedy
    Free Member

It would make more sense to have a general licensing agreement over this patent thing as it could go on for years. But im not a lawyer i’m a builder!!

Northwind

I don’t think Works stopped production, they just can’t make enough, big orders going out to suppliers…

SRAM can suck my sweaty baws frankly, they had the chance to own this market and decided not to bother entering it at all, preferring to scalp off silly profits from a tiny niche.

Hi guys.

So far we have had no contact from SRAM regarding any matter.

We have been in contact with some of the other smaller manufacturers outside of the UK who have also recieved no contact.

As far as we are aware, no patent has been granted and only then would anybody know if their product falls under the patents claims.

From SRAMS previous statement licensing was mentioned and i imagine would be the avenue persued in the future, though of course this is unknown.

I imagine Raceface could be sold out, these rings do take some time to machine and RF are sold worldwide through many dealer networks – that is a lot of customers to service.

Thanks! Rick

creedy
    Free Member

Cheeers for clearing that one up! Rick.

I ordered my 32t today any idea when i’ll get it 🙂

Do you just keep an eye for thick thin threads?

Always nice to see the blokes who make the gear on here.
    Makes it almost like a real forum

creedy
    Free Member

Although you have ruined a good lot of conjecture and stopped the thread. 🙂

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

My understanding was that it’s old technology, so SRAM couldn’t patent it. 😕

Although you have ruined a good lot of conjecture and stopped the thread.

Haha, sorry, i am sure everything will come out in the near future 😉

All chainring orders leaving us first thing in the morning.

Thanks!

creedy
    Free Member

sweet!!

Cheers Rick

yorlin
    Free Member

Well now that’s cleared up, what IS thick/thin? ❓ I feel I missed something!

edit – Nvm, a bit of googling told me 😳

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Single ring advice pls’ is closed to new replies.