Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Single chainset road options
  • luket

For a singlespeed CX/gravel type bike with threaded BB shell, what would you consider? For MTB I’ve always gone for Shimano but from what I can see they don’t really do the job here and in any case I should look around. I’m thinking a 40 or 42t chainring (currently running 40:18 and might up that a bit while I’m at it).

I’m also a bit out of date with my standards so the new BB standards aren’t helping my research!

BigJohn

I’d look at a vintage style Stronglight with square taper BB.  I loves them, me.

betdcomponents

How about some RS7 if you go down the square taper route, plus a 1x spider and MONO chain ring? Or if you go external BB then some RS8’s and again a 1x spider.

swanny853

Press fit bb, but I ended up with a SRAM rival 1x for my CX bike. 38t direct mount ring from superstar should run really cleanly in the mud- barely any hollows and no bolts for things to stick to. 42t SRAM +spider that came with the cranks that I can swap to if I want to do a lot of road miles.

There are some nice oval direct mount options which I would consider for SS too. I’d have loved Force cranks but they are really rather expensive.

kerley
    Free Member

Are you using a cassette hub with spacers or a freewheel?

If using cassette hub you can adjust your chainlink and use a double chainset with single ring on outside.  That’s what I have always ridden my fixed gear with using a Halo Fix G hub (sort of like a fixed cassette hub).

twicewithchips
    Free Member

Miche Primato might suit.  The BB used to come without shoulders on the threaded bits making chainline adjustment dead easy.

I think officially for track use, but I found them pretty robust (scottish winter commuting)

steve_b77
    Free Member

I’ve got Force CX 1 on mine, with a 42t chainring, lovely cranks indeed and they do a GPX version

RichBowman

Shimano 105 (5800??) with an Absolute Black Oval 42T ring on mine – It’s a Pressfit BB, but would be fine if it were a usual HTII bottom bracket. They do 44-50T under the ‘Gravel’ section… Chainline is dandy for the 11speed cassette on the back.

onandon
    Free Member

I run aforce cx1 bb30 crank with a bb30 to bs rotor converter B.B.

nice Stiff crank with none the of the manky bb30 issues.

luket

Thanks folks. Useful info indeed.

SRAM Rival look like a good value option but is there a bottom bracket wear issue compared with shimano? It may be a long time ago but do I recall some problems with Truvativ/SRAM?

Middleburn with a direct mount ring has a very clean look but the cost difference is substantial. Are they shimano BB compatible? if they are then I see that as an advantage with only one BB standard in my shed.

I will probably use a narrow freehub rather than a screw-on, in which case I’ll have some chainline adjustment available to me. Probably not a full sized freehub though.

swanny853

SRAM Rival look like a good value option but is there a bottom bracket wear issue compared with shimano? It may be a long time ago but do I recall some problems with Truvativ/SRAM?

I use a Wheels manufacturing thread together (because it’s press fit) so can’t comment on the standard sram stuff. There are aftermarket options if you do have trouble.

monkeyboyjc

I just use a shimano deore with a 40t ring on my gravel bike. I cant see myself getting a bigger ring anytime soon so it works fine. Much cheaper than getting a road based alternative, just a little on the ‘heavy’ side for road use.

13thfloormonk

FSA Vero are a cheap and cheerful square taper equivalent, I was considering them for a 1x gravel/CX build.

Beware some of the SRAM cranksets as they have a proprietary bolt pattern which nobody else makes chainrings for, can you guess how expensive replacement SRAM rings are? 😉

kerley
    Free Member

I will probably use a narrow freehub rather than a screw-on, in which case I’ll have some chainline adjustment available to me. Probably not a full sized freehub though.

In that case you can just use any road crankset and put a ring on the outside so it looks right.  I would go Shimano as the external BBs are very cheap and I find them reliable enough..  I would also avoid an MTB crankset as the Q factor is bigger which for me makes it worse.  For single speed I go bigger rings rather than smaller as the drivetrain is quite (i.e 43/18 rather than 34/15)

Saccades
    Free Member

I have a perfectly good rival (22) chain set in the shed I replaced with a 105.

Gxp bb’s cost 2-3x as much as the XT equivalent, last half as long and are way harder to get hold of.

The rest of the rival stuff is pretty good though.

onandon
    Free Member

Gxp bb’s cost 2-3x as much as the XT equivalent, last half as long and are way harder to get hold of.

Crap. A 2 second google search has them found at under £20 in stock in most places.

in my experience they last just as long as xt/ ultegra on the bike I’ve used them on.

kerley
    Free Member

I also found that GXP BBs didn’t last very long.  Get much more life out of a £11 Shimano BB

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Rotor do some good 5-bolt cranks. 3D30 or the older 3D24, or indeed some of the newer Rex models

Merlin has some good deals at the moment too

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Single chainset road options’ is closed to new replies.