Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Singapore…
  • RichJJ
    Free Member

Looks like I’m off to Singapore to work for a couple of weeks next month, I’ve never been and know virtually nothing about the place. I may not have much/any time off when I’m there but whats to see and do ? Dont think theres any point in taking a bike this time if I’m not going to have a day off although I believe there is some MTBing out there.

mcboo
    Free Member

Eat and drink well. Don’t bother cycling, it’s too hot. Hopefully you will have some locals or expat colleagues to take you out, the nightlife is amazing.

thekingisdead
    Free Member

keep your receipts. its a tad pricey 😉

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Jurong bird park

Eat at the carousel buffet at the royal plaza on scotts road

And also buffet at Basilico at the Regent Hotel.
    I know it is not local, but the food is fantastic.

curvature
    Free Member

And don’t forget a trip to Raffles, Orchard Road, Little India etc.

Also take time to go to the War Memorial and Changi Prison Museum…makes you think about things.

Make sure you get a decent taxi driver who will show you arounf and take you to a 24hr market and Hawker centre.

simon_g

Night safari is worth a look and easy to fit in around work. The trip up to the viewing gallery of the Marina Bay Sands hotel is worth doing too.

mcboo
    Free Member

Might be a bit tame for you but one of my favourite places on the planet is Singapore Botanic Gardens. just a big park with lots of plants but such a beautiful place, tranquility.

fourbanger
    Free Member

It’s not too hot to cycle, you’ll just sweat a lot. Singapore Bike Hash. Goodle them if you want to ride.

ben
    Free Member

I live in Singapore, so if there’s anything specific you want to know give me a shout (email in profile).

There is some mountaing biking here, Bukit Timah & Pulau Ubin are the two best places, though not really worth bringing your bike if you’re not going to get a chance to ride as you say.

Some good suggestions above. Make sure you get taken for some dim sum. I imagine you’ll probably have colleagues based here? In which case I’m sure they’ll show you the sights. Lots to do and see, just depends what you’re into.

Cheers
    Ben

scotsman
    Free Member

Four floors of…………….. 😀

boblo
    Free Member

@Ben. Pulau Ubin is where all the dead Taxis end up isn’t it? I was over in Singapore for a year or so with work and used to ride there and Bukit Timah. This was on shonky hire crap with the masses at weekends.

So for the visitor, Clarke and Boat Quays, Newton Circus and East coast Parkway Hawker centres (the food in Sing is fantastic). Orchard towers for multi storey mucky women (if that’s your thing – not mine BTW), Sentosa, Raffles, Bintam and Batam if you have time at the weekend for a bit of seaside R&R. Loads of decent bars and restaurants. Botanical gardens very nice, I used to run there when I had an apartment in Newton Circus. Little India can be bizarre, there’s a street completely full of ladyboys… and Bugis Junction is a pale imitation of its former self. The locals are pretty friendly so the local staff should be able to show you around a to bit stop you feeling like Billy No Mates.

flip
    Free Member

Check out the ladies 😉

RichJJ
    Free Member

Cheers all. @Ben, thanks for the offer of help, will email you if I get stuck !!

Hohum
    Free Member

I was born in Singapore.

Many years ago.

I have two birth certificates, a British one and a Singapore one.

Maybe I will go back there one day before I pop my clogs!

andy7t2
    Free Member

Ho hum – Member
    I was born in Singapore.

Many years ago.

I have two birth certificates, a British one and a Singapore one.

Maybe I will go back there one day before I pop my clogs!

did i say that out loud?

stewartc
    Free Member

As the Scotsman mentioned there is a certain building called Orchard Towers (aka the 4 floors of whores)that may be worth visiting just for the experience, guess your co-workeras will take you there on a beer night!
    Everytime I go (usually every 2-3 months)I make sure I go to the No Signboard Seafood restaurant in Geylang at least once, doesn’t look much but the food is superb.

Keep the receipts, it is expensive everywhere.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Singapore…’ is closed to new replies.