• This topic has 16 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by zokes.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Since when do we pronounce Warmbier warm-be-ay?
  • alpin
    Free Member

I’m sure hat last time this name was in the news (the Seppo who came back from North Korea just before his death) that the media was pronouncing his family name “Warmbier”, or warm-beer…. Now I’m hearing Warm-be-ay….

What’s a that about? Der when did the Septic become so self aware that they have shit names?

#randybumgardner

john_drummer
    Free Member

Depends if it’s German or French

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

A yank once asked me for directions to Am-bless-sid-eee

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    john_drummer
    Free Member

Actually, a friend recently asked “when did we start pronouncing B-R-A-U-N ‘brown’” and the answer was “when we stopped being ignorant about the pronunciation of foreign words, it’s always been pronounced  ‘brown’ where that word comes from”

Cougar

Is that commonplace?  I’ve never heard that pronounced as anything other than Brawn.

Also, Volkswagen, Skoda and Porsche are on the phone.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Nothing worse than warm bier.

sbob
    Free Member

Nothing worse than warm bier.

There is; it’s cold beer. Unless you have no tastebuds…

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

weirdo.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

“A yank once asked me for directions to Am-bless-sid-eee”

Similar here, an American student at Durham uni wanted to know the way to ‘Guys Brow’
    I didn’t have a clue what he meant till we got down to the fact he was doing a race in Guisborough Woods.

ElShalimo

@alpin – let’s all laugh at the dead bloke with the funny foreign name…oh dear

Some of your posts in the last few days have been of equally poor taste. Are you deliberately being a knob or are you “reaching out” for help?

alpin
    Free Member

Are you offering any help?

Nah…. Comes naturally.

I’m sure last time this guy was in the news it was pronounced “warm-hearted”.

“I’ve never heard that pronounced as anything other than Brawn”

Yay, but Braun is pronounced exactly like the English for the same colour, brown. I was surprised when learning German to find out if been pronouncing it won’t for years.

Oh, and the same goes for Weinstein…. It’s a German name, so why do you hear it in the media being pronounced ‘wine-stien’? It’s not ‘stien’, it’s ‘stein’.

chickenman

Yes English people, when did yer man become Johann Sebastian Bark.
    Shvaalbeh is of course the correctly pronounced tyre manufacturer, not Swoblee…..boils my piss!!
    Goes off to the French car thread to slag off Folksvaagens, Mehrtzaydez und Porshehs!

tomhoward

The two best pronunciations I’ve ever heard.

Ha-rog-a-tee. An American, saying she was in Harrogate

Only to be trumped by an Australian gent looking to get to Loogah Baroogah. Or Loughborough, if you’re local…

slowoldman

Is that commonplace?  I’ve never heard that pronounced as anything other than Brawn

It’s commonplace in this household with its German ancestry, along with the correct pronunciation of Volkswagen and Porsche.

zokes
    Free Member

A waiter “corrected” me several times whilst ordering a fillet steak the other day. He seemed to be absolutely adamant that the “t” should be pronounced. 🙄

teethgrinder

What the hell is a ‘seak’?

zokes
    Free Member

It’s the second word of a common two word phrase, frequently muttered under ones breath in response to replies on here 😉

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Since when do we pronounce Warmbier warm-be-ay?’ is closed to new replies.