since when did lift passes get sooo expensive

Home Forum Chat Forum since when did lift passes get sooo expensive

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • since when did lift passes get sooo expensive
  • enduro-aid

recently got back into skiing after a 5 year break and me and the misses are looking at late late deals for europe as she has 5 days holiday that has to be used by the end of feb

its cheap enough to get out there between 130 and 199 for flights transfer and accomidation

but bloody hell lift passes start at 150 and go up to over 200 for some resorts for a weeks skiing!!!!

any suggestions of how to get them cheaper or where is good and has cheap prices?

fbk

Ah, the joy of crap exchange rates 🙁 . It's put me off going this year.

cycleworlduk

nope your stuck with them unless you book your pass as a part of a package…ive never got em cheaper and have been going away for years to the alps

xcgb

You can get discounts from apartment agents or operators, we got a fair whack from our agent, needs to be 7 days or more though, not always true but its worth asking. Still dear though!

Premier Icon 40mpg
    Subscriber

Plus a lot of the ski areas have linked up so you get a much bigger area to ski on than you did 10, 15 years ago, all covered on your one pass.

Premier Icon jimmy
    Subscriber

Its a bargain compared to £30 for a day at one of Scotland's 'resorts'

Premier Icon Tracey
    Subscriber

We have used these for the last two years

http://www.skiholidayextras.com/ski-equipment/liftpasses.php

Tracey

enduro-aid

yeah the whole Scottish arguement has came up in the office but by the time you pay to get up there either by train or car( I'm only in Glasgow) and then accomidation you are a good bit cheaper just flying out to the alps.

Tracey cheers for the link but they dont offer passes for the resorts that I can get deals for Doh!

mefty

It is also worth trying to work out how much of the resort you are going to use in multi area resorts. For instance, last year we went to Les Gets and mainly skiied there and in Morzine which was covered by one pass. We went to Avoriaz for a day but is was cheaper to get an extension for one day than buying the Portes de Soleil pass for the whole period.

It is also worth trying to work out how much of the resort you are going to use in multi area resorts.

Very much so. For example, with the Via Lattea or Paradiski areas, you can get partial passes, which often work out cheaper. In both of those, you may well be in a resort/area with more than enough to play on!

alpin

look at some of the smaller resorts. Garmisch in Bavaria is a good bet. Germany's highest mountain and glacier so always good snow. much quieter during the week than the bigger resorts. reason being is that it is predominately used by locals who are only free on weekends. larger resorts cater to holiday makers who generally fly in/out on weekends leaving the slopes a little quieter.

i was there on a Tuesday last year in February and had the whole of the upper bowl practically to myself. loads of deeeep powder. no queues. if it's cloudy in the valley it's likely to be clud free at the top as you're so high up. also makes for stunning on-top-of-the-world views.

flights to Munich, 1.5 hour train ride south (30€ for the two – or five – of you).

160€ for five day pass that covers the two resorts plus a corner of Austria.

Garmisch Partenkirchen

Gapa.de

Premier Icon Digby
    Subscriber

It is also worth trying to work out how much of the resort you are going to use in multi area resorts.

Likewise in Chamonix – if you are only there for a few days it can work out cheaper just to buy a lift pass for the area you are going to e.g. Le Tour or Brevent-Flegere as a 6 day Chamonix pass (i.e. excluding Aiguille du Midi) is 200 Euros!

Only way I know to get significantly cheaper lift pass is to buy a season pass during the summer. My 'early bird' season lift pass for Fernie BC worked out cheaper than a 14 day pass when purchased last June

FunkyDunc

I don't think the cost of passes has risen particularly over the last 10 years, its just that back in the day the exchange rate was very different!

dab

enduro-aid

weve been at la plagne for the last 5 winters in a row ( not there this season ) 🙁

ways to reduce cost
    travel firms do 2 for 1 on early bookings
    resort loyalty cards circa 10-15% discount
    local ski hires do deals with hires / lessons

edit reduce the ski areas ..local pass vs espace pass ( can always buy a day upgrade if the conditions merit it , unusual in Jan )

the passes have stayed fairly static till 2 seasons ago they did go up a bit but combined with the fall in the value of the £ is just makes it seem worse

where else can you ski for £25 notes a day ..have miles and miles of piste / off piste , huge investment in infrstructure and maintenence
    great ski patrol and rescue

seriously the french pump so much euro into decent lifts and snowmaking it makes scottish skiing look amateur and before any of the anti scottish brigade starts ive been skiing in scotland for over 30 years now and still get up at every opportunity

not a great fan of aviemore in recent years due to the way the resort is run and the £30 lift ticket

at least Glenshee you get a smile and good effort made for your £25 ticket

just suck it up and save a few quid on the bar bill 😉

boblo

We ski'd Breckenridge the week between Xmas and New Year. Passes over $900 for two!!! 😯

It's their busyist week of the year so some of your hard earned is converted into queueing time. Charming.

fauxbyfour

French resorts have gotten really expensive and I do not agree about their investment levels. Italian, German and Austrian resorts are pulling way ahead of the French in this regard. There is quite commonly a 30% price drop just over the border in Italy rather than in France.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘since when did lift passes get sooo expensive’ is closed to new replies.