Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Since getting a dropper post I have learnt……
  • sam_underhill

that i used to ride with my weight in very much the wrong place. I used to ride kind of gipping the saddle with my lower thighs when out of the saddle and therefore didn’t get enough weight on the front wheel for effective cornering despite my best efforts to do so.
    I am deliberately dropping my saddle now on simple flowing stuff so that I’m in a better “attack” position. I can feel such a massive difference in control and grip.

I could have tried this with a QR i know, but that involves faff during the ride which I hate. I’ve learned a lot on my last half a dozen rides.

vixalot
    Free Member

Which dropper post did you go for ?
    I seam to be messing around lifting/dropping/forgetting quite a bit on rides now, so I have started looking at dropper posty things

Trimix
    Free Member

I too have realised a dropper makes more difference than you first imagine it will.

Faster cornering is another area that it helped, as I can crank the bike over much more.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    sam_underhill

vixalot – KS Lev from wiggle.

Mugboo

Without one your saddle is almost always in a far from ideal position. With one it’s always perfect (Reverb here).

rOcKeTdOg

Since getting a dropper post I have learnt……

that i should have saved the money and learnt to ride properly with a zero maintenance static post? 😉

vegasdave
    Free Member

I’m amazed that I’ve ever been able to negotiate a bend witout one…

vegasdave
    Free Member

…or without one even..

JoeG
    Free Member

Get a dropper!

As I have said on other threads, I never realized that I was spending 99.9% of my ride with my butt on the saddle. Getting the dropper brought this issue to light, and I’ve now bought a couple of riding books so that I can practice proper technique as best I can on my own.

Trekster

So how do the race whippets manage considering the fact they still ride with narrow bars and saddle up their chuff 😆

Trimix
    Free Member

If you just ride XC you may find you dont need one.

But if you ride about looking for stuff to pop off, jump over, drop into, berm round, huck off, plummet down and generally hoon about – then you will find owning one a revalation.

tazzymtb

then you will find owning one a revalation.

A very heavy and wibbly wobbly one 🙂

chiefgrooveguru

XC race whippets don’t win races in the corners. How many gravity enduro racers get on the podium without a dropper post? I’d rather go without gears than a dropper post.

My revelation was how much I was sitting on the saddle when I thought I wasn’t!

My revelation was how much I was sitting on the saddle when I thought I wasn’t!

Agreed, only a few rides in on my dropper and find my legs are burning at the bottom of decents

I think the post was a worthwile investment

HermanShake
    Free Member

I love my KS post, 5″ of anywhere you like travel with a lever integrated into my right grip. C’est magnifique!

It’s beginning to get a little sticky though, perhaps time for some ugly inner tube?

chiefgrooveguru

Having been riding with a dropper post for 18 months and thinking that I don’t sit down much nowadays I have had another revelation in the last week, since I bought a BMX and started commuting on it. All I can say is that I’m having to toughen up… Practising cornering in the loading bay at work is quite fun though!

deanfbm
    Free Member

I have learnt that my suspension bike is too much work, far more work than riding my hardtail with the saddle slammed 100% of the time.

Hardtails are so much more fun when the terrain calls for pedalling too.

beanieripper
    Free Member

i tried my friends dropper post, you can lower it to get on the bike which is super handy. i am no longer able to get on my bike with a “normal” seatpost so am unable to ride it until i can “upgrade” to one….

GW
    Free Member

I could have tried this with a QR i know, but that involves faff during the ride which I hate. I’ve learned a lot on my last half a dozen rides.

Slam it the whole way for an entire ride, it will teach you even more

elaineanne
    Free Member

Yea ive recently joined the club of dropper seatposts… Ive got a ksi 7….due to the fact i have size 27.2 its just the lever version only…. I make sure its pretty much clean after every ride….i have a can of silicon based spray, that i spray lightly on my stanchions…would this be ok for the dropper post…..just to keep it lightly lubed…….

theendisnigh
    Free Member

would this be ok for the dropper post…..just to keep it lightly lubed……. “
    it certainly helps my reverb

therag
    Free Member

Top tip for ks owners (remote version) fit a spring from a pen between the cable clamp and the lever under the seat to help it pull back up

MrDomino
    Free Member

Yes they are good, but tiring! I got one a few weeks ago (reverb) and maybe drop it too much on the downhiils, realising all of a sudden I’ve no seat to pedal on and am too lazy to put it back up. This is all probs just getting used to it and of late I have been just dropping a couple of inches when it’s not too steep. All in all though I’m pleased.

somouk
    Free Member

I had a play with one the other week that was remote activated and it worked really well.

Made a big difference on the really steep stuff as it was easier to get my backside off the bike but other than that I didn’t really notice it.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

elaine anne – Member
    Yea ive recently joined the club of dropper seatposts… Ive got a ksi 7….due to the fact i have size 27.2 its just the lever version only…. I make sure its pretty much clean after every ride….i have a can of silicon based spray, that i spray lightly on my stanchions…would this be ok for the dropper post…..just to keep it lightly lubed…….

Wot.. No lols???

*is disappointed* 😐

ali69er
    Free Member

I thought about one on my HT, but after spending some time riding my bike like a single speed to build strength and stamina I found it naturally shitfted my riding to ride with a lower seat and be out of the saddle keeping weight forward. I am so much quicker and my cornering is vastly improved.

DT78
    Free Member

So, no one has stacked it by faffing around with trying to get the saddle in the ‘right’ height and therefore not really paying enough attention to the trail?? Just me then?

chiefgrooveguru

Do you fall off because of getting confused by your gears too? 😉

JoeG
    Free Member

DT8 – There was a learning curve for me when I first got mine as the left hand now had 3 things to do; front brake, front shifter, and seatpost remote. There were definitely a number of occasions early on when the brain got it wrong and my hand did something other than what the brain wanted it to do. I had a lot of screw ups on the first few rides, but none of them were major. Most were something like being in the wrong gear as I was concentrating on the seatpost.

When you do it right; drop saddle, up and over obstacle, raise saddle, continue riding all in one fluid motion it is really great!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

your all worng they are pointless and crap, anyone who can’t ride flat out everywhere with the saddle up the inner ring is a wuss….. 😛 😛

or just moving with the times – is it wrong to consider upgrading the On-One to a Bfe for dropper post compatibility?

The on-one gets less use as it doesn’t have a dropper.

When they get slightly lighter expect to see them on the WC XC scene

speedplay
    Free Member

I’ve managed twenty odd years of riding off road without one.
    Never have I thought I needed to lower my saddle mid ride.
    I guess I’m just set in my ways, know where I need the saddle to be and hate to add half a pound in weight to a 25 pound bike.

elaineanne
    Free Member

teetossugars ???? wot do you mean your dissapointed ? lolz

_tom_
    Free Member

add half a pound in weight to a 25 pound bike.

Considering half a pound is **** all I wouldn’t worry about it!

I kind of like the idea of a dropper post but the majority of the time my seat is down anyway. Can see the benefit for trail centre riding as its very up and down rather than one big up and one big down like a lot more natural stuff tends to be. And if they weren’t so over priced I’d maybe consider it.

takisawa2

I’ve got one on my Niner at the moment but have to say I’m not impressed so its coming off. I can see the advantage, but for me & the riding I do, its not needed. Plus, it spoilt the ride. Normal post is a nice (and now appreciably apparent) flexy Thomson. Could really tell the difference on my spindly flexy SIR9.
    So no, I’m in the luddite camp.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

hate to add half a pound in weight to a 25 pound bike.

So put 220ml less water in your camelbak/bottle. And I assume you don’t ride in mud then?

chiefgrooveguru

Can see the benefit for trail centre riding as its very up and down rather than one big up and one big down like a lot more natural stuff tends to be.

Dropper posts are at their most useful when it’s repeatedly up and down! And the natural stuff I usually ride is much more up and down than any trail centre I’ve ridden, totally depends on the terrain. Before I got a dropper post I rode with the seat dropped most of the time but it was very hard to keep up with quicker riders uphill on faster more XC rides.

_tom_
    Free Member

My reference for natural trails is somewhere like the long mynd where you typically have a massive climb followed by a long descent, then repeat that.. no need for a dropper there!

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Since getting a dropper post I have learnt……’ is closed to new replies.