Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Simple van shelving question – help!
  • Bushwacked
    Free Member

I’ve been searching the internet but no success yet – can anyone point me to a website that can show me how to install a simple shelf in my van? I don’t want to board it out fully just put a shelf to store some items. Most of the sites I’ve been on are either full conversions or metal racking.

Cheers.

tthew

My van came with something like this installed from the previous user. By the time you’ve bought the timber and spent loads of time making and installing it, you may as well just buy a kit.

kayak23

Something like this?

Is your van ply lined, insulated etc or just bare? You want to mount off a rib, where you have a double skin of metal. You can use rivnuts to attach it.

Use cardboard to template the shape initially.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Van is bare, so just have the ribs. I did look at that video but I’m more interested in how to attach to the ribs rather than to a ply wall.

maccruiskeen

How big a shelf / Shelves? Do you want to have them in place all the time or have more flexibility?

One Kayak’s thread when he was musing about buying a van I posted a shelf system I made for my old van with shelves that are big enough to sleep but which could be taken out / packed flat in a few minutes

Its here but the hosted pics have gone. I can dig them out and repost them if you’re bothered. Only worthwhile if you want to make quite a large shelf though

Any small vans that’ll take an 8×4 sheet?

tthew

Van is bare….

You should get a liner kit. My first cheap van was quite badly dented inside to out by stuff which had fallen over in the back in a previous life. The plain panels are just a thin single skin.

kayak23

I did look at that video but I’m more interested in how to attach to the ribs rather than to a ply wall.

lalazar
    Free Member

I’ve fully shelved my van for work so would suggest fixing some timber across the ribs and working off that.I just screwed straight on to them. You can join the, “VAN RACKING GROUP”, on Facebook.. Plenty of ideas and suggestions if you put in a request.

BigJohn

Do a search for van racking templates

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Simple van shelving question – help!’ is closed to new replies.