Viewing 18 posts - 201 through 218 (of 218 total)
  • Simple things that passed you by for years.
  • Cougar

Nova (as in the vauxhall car) is “no va” in spanish which mensd “doesn’t go”

Further reading.

http://www.snopes.com/business/misxlate/nova.asp

aracer
    Free Member

Last year at the age of 33 I realised the word “segue” is pronounced seg-way.

Well I almost made it to 44…

When they announce on the travel news that there’s a shed load on the motorway I always used to think they meant there was a lot of stuff (ie a shedload).

GrahamS

I was in my late 20s before I realised that the word “misled” wasn’t pronounced my-zuld.

I still can’t get used to pronouncing “inventory” correctly.

Apparently it should be pronounced as a soft e sound like in-vin-tree or invin-tor-ee

But I’ve always read and pronounced it as in-vent-or-ee.

Despite knowing this is wrong I refuse to accept it!

I’m just venting, but why would anyone invent a method of counting inventions and call it an in-vin-tree?!? Madness! 😀

grievoustim
    Free Member

I was in my late 20s before I realised that the word “misled” wasn’t pronounced my-zuld.

Ha ha 😆

Last year at the age of 33 I realised the word “segue” is pronounced seg-way.
    Blew. My. Mind.

oh 😳

peterfile
    Free Member

Rather embarrassingly, when Aheadsets first became popular, I could never get mine tight.

It wasn’t until a mate watched me do it that it became apparent what I was doing wrong.

I’d been tightening the stem and then trying to tighten up the topcap to bring it all tight 😳 Took about 2 years of constant frustration and half a dozen headsets before I worked that one out.

In saying that, I’ve had a few emails from a guy who ought to be more embarrassed than me. He manages to squeeze in “all intensive purposes” at least once per email 🙂

grievoustim
    Free Member

I though Hyperbole was pronounced “Hyper- bowel” for way too long

I once worked with a guy who said something like “what’s that word that means all the words you know”

molgrips
    Free Member

From now on I am going to pronounce Superbowl as superbolee

Cougar

I still can’t get used to pronouncing “inventory” correctly.

I fall foul of that too, largely because for years my only encounter with the word was in text adventure games.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Is there a way to ‘play’ STW in Lewd Mode?

GrahamS

From Wiki: “Tame Mode restricts the interaction to stimulating discussion about such subjects as jazz music and the writings of Jules Verne.”

That sounds more like us 😀

40mpg

My daughter recently discovered epeetowm.

I told her it really was the epitome of mispronunciation.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Holy crap, shoelaces.

I’ve nearly made it to 40 without knowing.

GrahamS

😆

I’m beginning to think the shoelaces thing should be put in some kind of government public information film. There must be thousands of people quietly suffering with the daily indignity of loose, unbalanced laces.

i_like_food

In a minute some muppet will come on and say ‘sauve’ isn’t pronounced ‘so-ve’! That would be an embarrassing thing to discover in your mid 30’s…

joat

Hyperbole maybe pronounced hi-per-bolee, but what about hyperbolic eh, eh?

chico66
    Free Member

This one hit me listening to the radio on the way home

Suburban pronounced suh burban is just another word but if pronounced Sub. Urban. it makes perfect sense!

steveoath
    Free Member

Just got the joke in hitchhikers guide….

“You’d better be prepared for the jump into hyperspace. It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.”

“What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?”

“You ask a glass of water!”

Only took half my life!!

AlexSimon

i_like_food – Member

In a minute some muppet will come on and say ‘sauve’ isn’t pronounced ‘so-ve’! That would be an embarrassing thing to discover in your mid 30’s…
    Maybe it’s because your brain is swapping the ‘a’ and ‘u’ around 😉

(sauve is actually pronounced so-ve, but is mostly a name)

Viewing 18 posts - 201 through 218 (of 218 total)

The topic ‘Simple things that passed you by for years.’ is closed to new replies.