Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Simple chain question – Shimano 10 speed
  • Dekerfer
    Free Member

Hi, I ride singlespeed but my son is busy with a 1X10 conversion using new Shimano parts received for Xmas.

We need to shorten the Shimano 10 speed chain (which came with a replacement pin).

How do we remove the pin which remains in the side plate when we have shortened the chain? Do we use the ‘drift’ or leading section of the new pin to simply push the old one out completely while fitting the new pin?

This shortening process must happen for almost everyone who buys a new chain but I can’t find a reference about how to remove the old pin from the side plate.

For reference, I am using a Park Tools chain tool which is graded for 10 speed and worked fine on my Campag 10 speed road bikes….

TIA for any help.

IvanMTB
    Free Member

Just push it out completely with chain tool’s pin.

Then, if you insist on using joining pin instead of rather practical quick link, push pin in place using tool.

Cheers!
    I.

Dekerfer
    Free Member

Thanks mate. I think I spotted the issue which is that we shortened the chain from the ‘wrong’ end…. If I’d done it the proper way, I wouldn’t have an issue as I’d be discarding the part with the pin sticking out of it.

I’ve already advised the boy to get a quicklink PDQ tomorrow.

jkomo

If you have the replacement pin, use it it’s fine.

joebristol

The Shimano oversized replacement pin is fine to use – just quick links are marginally easier a scan be undone easily in future. No issue just pushing the old pin you have half out with the chain tool.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Simple chain question – Shimano 10 speed’ is closed to new replies.