Simano/Sram/Both.. what's your flavour and why?

Home Forum Bike Forum Simano/Sram/Both.. what's your flavour and why?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • Simano/Sram/Both.. what's your flavour and why?
  • chilled76

Now then… this isn’t intended to discuss which is better as there has to be merits to both or all of us would have the same manufacturer.

What do you go for Shimano or Sram? Or do you have some of each on different bikes?

My personal choice… Sram drivetrain (shifters mechs and cassette and chain) with shimano chainset and brakes on all of my bikes..

Why? I prefer the shifting action on sram (slightly more industrial feel but feels more solid in my opinion), I think shimano offers better value for money on the chainsets though and really like the clearance in shimano brakes even if they are a bit on/off so run these for ease of set up and lack of rub.

parkesie

Shimano on the mtb after a run of sram kit just falling apart. Sram on the road bike as i like the double tap shifters.

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

Always liked SRAM positive feel over horrible Shimano vagueness… But the parts were always obviously less good, I think even SRAM fans admitted that. Better ideas, but worse execution.

But then along came 10 speed and Shimano finally losing any shyness about copying SRAM, and now I’ve ended up more or less a Shimano guy- current Saint or Saint/XT mix is just fantastic IMO. XTR shifter is still awful mind.

Cranks- Shimano, rude not to. Brakes? Neither, Formula. Forks, Rockshox pls.

Premier Icon bigblackshed
    Subscriber

Shimano everything over SRAM. SRAM designed for dry dusty California trails. Shimano designed in Japan with a very similar climate to ours. Mud.

The only bit I like of the SRAM house stuff is Rockshox. It used to be Fox only for me but with the delicate nature of Fox these days I prefer the more robustness of Rockshox. And the price.

mooman

Only ever had shimano on Mtb .. so can’t really comment.
    But ..

Road bike. SRAM force on summer bike. Good shifting/good weight/good looking.
    Winter road bike has shimano 105. Cheap/reliable.

Premier Icon colournoise
    Subscriber

SRAM drivetrain, Shimano brakes. I prefer the way they feel over the alternatives I’ve tried. Love the clunkiness of SRAM shifters and mechs and Shimano brakes are so much easier (for me at least) than the Avids I’ve tried to set up and tinker with.

Premier Icon wonkey_donkey
    Subscriber

All SRAM on the mtb – setting up mechs is just so easy.

Road bike – all Shimano. It all works fine, no issues.

🙂

Shimano everything

SRAM drivetrains are just too fragile. And 10s Shimano is as clunky as 9s SRAM so they’re even on that front too. The only thing I miss is the shifter release being on the other axis with SRAM so you could shift with a knuckle rather than a finger.

I actually quite like the feel of avid brakes, just a shame theyre not reliable.

Premier Icon davo
    Subscriber

Low end sram x5, x7 is just shite! Shimano deore feels nearly as good as xt! Justs a bit heavier!

Premier Icon garage-dweller
    Subscriber

Shimano, mech, shifter and brakes on mtb. Cassettes and chains from either depending on stock and offers where I happen to be shopping.
    Cranks are race face or shimano no particular reason.

Road bike is Campagnolo because that’s what it came with.

Never tried sram. Mtb stuff looks fragile to me and not convinced on vim/pricing.

Maybe I will give it a go sometime. @

orangeboy

Currently shimano on mtb but about to switch back to SRAM as I want grip shift
    It will stay 1-10 so only one mech and shifter to swap.

Cassette wise mostly xt for no real reason other than I have always used them

Road bikes always campy again because I prefer the shifter and it works very well

slackalice

Sram drivetrain for all the positive reasons above and the neg’s for Shimano – feel, ease of set up and reliability foremost for me. Except for chainsets, where the SLX shifts well and is brilliant VFM.

Loving the 2013 Shimano brakes, I’ve found their feel and power works for me better than my Previous Hope Mini and Mono Mini’s using the same diameter disc’s.

Premier Icon Garry_Lager
    Subscriber

Not fussed about either drivetrain – both good. Only meaningful distinction for me is the brakes – shimano definitely superior IME. Had a lot of experience with elixirs, and they’re nowhere near as bad as reputed, in fact they work fine. But keeping them working fine is way more work than it should be.

Premier Icon andytherocketeer
    Subscriber

Shimano cranks, shifters, mechs (on MTB and road bikes)
    SRAM Chains, cassettes (again on all bikes)
    Formula brakes

Only reason I’d change that is if I buy a complete bike that comes with something different.

Marmoset

Sram here, had it on the mtb’s for over 20 years and have just sold the shimano off the road bike after sticking with it a few years, I prefer the shifting action of Sram,so going to stick that on it instead. Sram action is a bit more positive feeling IMHO. No issues with longevity of components from any of them.

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

SRAM
    shifts better
    grip shift
    shifts better
    Running XO Shifters with X9 Gear, SRAM x9 cranks. The missus is on XX1 and XX/XO mixed with Race Face Next’s on the other bike. Hope BB’s.

End up trying Shimano on demo bikes, last SLX felt awful cheap and sluggish to change (well set up too just in comparison)
    XT not that much better

I can cope with changing jockey wheels

Premier Icon breadcrumb
    Subscriber

Always Shimano cranks. I was SRAM drivetrain till last weekend when I went 1×10, Shimano stuff was way cheaper and now feels less vague than it use to.

And I’m one of the only people to like Avid brakes! Although I demoed a few bikes the other weekend and one had SLX brakes, didn’t feel as wooden as I thought they would.

Hob Nob

Up to 9spd, it was always SRAM, the 9spd stuff just worked on my DH bike.

10spd SRAM stuff was hilarious – it just fell apart, all the time. The Shimano high end stuff was so much better.

I’ve got X01 on a bike now, that came with it. I miss Shimano shifters. Shifts well for now, i’m not expecting any great reliability from it, on SRAM’s record in the UK weather.

Never SRAM chainsets, GXP is awful and self extracting bolts are a pain in the arse.

Never, ever SRAM brakes. I like my brakes to work properly.

Premier Icon mattbee
    Subscriber

Shimano brakes and cranks on all bikes, mix of SRAM and Shimano drivetrains.
    Never had any issues with SRAM, been running it in various iterations since the days of x ray shifters in the mid 90s. My 9 speed XO setup lasted form the day it was launched (I pre ordered it because I’m a tart) to last year with just a few sets of jockey wheels and a replacement set of grips for the twist shifters. Mind you, I’ve never had any issues with Shimano stuff either, just tend to find both setups work. I do prefer the SRAM ‘ a bit clunkier from the word go but stays the same for longer’ over Shimano ‘smooth as silk but needs a bit more adjustment now and again’.

Premier Icon Paceman
    Subscriber

Shimano shifting and cranks on both bikes for me. I’ve used SRAM drivetrain gear in the past and although the shifting action feels superior, the maintenance needed to keep it running through the winter round here just isn’t worth it. I’ve settled on SLX as being a reliable and durable workhorse at a good price. Both systems have their merits though. An essential for me now is a narrow-wide chainring on both bikes, run 1×10 with a clutch rear mech. This is a genuine move forward in bike technology I think, rather than many “innovations” which offer little advantage over the existing gear.

I personally like Hope brakes which have never let me down. Performance and feel are spot on, and their robustness and ease of maintenance makes them a no-brainer. Saying that, the Shimano brakes on my missus bike are also very good and I’d have no problems using them in the future. Like others have said, SRAM’s Avid brakes perform and feel good out on the trail but I found the maintenance needed to keep them working well just isn’t worth it IMO.

Rockshox are the best brand SRAM offer, I really like my Reverb and the forks are as good or better in most cases than the competition from Fox which is overpriced and currently rated on reputation rather than performance by many riders IMO. The next season will be very important for them if they want to gain ground back on Rockshox.

Premier Icon lunge
    Subscriber

Shimano on everything here including pedals. Just does the job, it may not be the most pretty of kit but it all just works.

plus one

Shimano = reliable+sexy+longevity

Sram = flimsy+awkward+short life span

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

Now then… this isn’t intended to discuss which is better as there has to be merits to both or all of us would have the same manufacturer.

some people still can’t read the question

plus one – Member
    Shimano = reliable+sexy+longevity

Sram = flimsy+awkward+short life span

Hob Nob

Maybe that’s his reason why?

mindmap3

Sram X9 mech and X0 shifter on my Rune. I’ve run Sram mechs and shifters since 2005 and won’t go back to Shimano. I much prefer the clunky shifting feel (I’ve ridden 2013 10 speed XT on a demo bike and the shifts were too vague for me). The Sram stuff that I’ve had has generally lasted well too; I’ve still got my original X9 mech from 05. It’s a bit floppy but still shifts fine. The X0 mech and X9 shifter on my Stanton is still going strong although I do notice the noise of a none clutch mech. The only issues that I’ve had is 2013 X9 shifters not lasting very well. My current X0 one seems yo be holding up well though.

I always run Sram chains and have done since before they bought Sachs. Shimano chains are rubbish. I do prefer Shimano cassettes though.

Brake wise, I love the current Shimano ones and have them on both of my bikes. I never had Avid so can’t really comment on them, but I do think that the current Avid levers are massive and ugly.

Cranks…wouldn’t run either. Always Race Face. The Sram cranks are just ugly and the Shimano ones too expensive.ni can’t get my head round a pair of XT cranks costing the same as some nice Race Face ones. I think it’s because when I started riding Race Face cranks were super expensive compared to Shimano so seemed more special.

Sram RRP is mental but I’ve never paid that for it so I’m not fussed.

Premier Icon Nobby
    Subscriber

Shimano on everything. It just works & if you have issues whilst out & about you’re more likely to find spares available.

Bits of kit I have are 10-12 years old, have minimal/zero maintenance & still work well.

Only ever had 1 bike fitted with SRAM – it nearly all needed replacing inside the first year.

IHN

MTB – SRAM shifters, rear mech and (RS) fork, Shim front mech, hubs and brakes.

Why – I prefer the clunky shifting, plus X0 mechs/shifters look cool

It was more SRAM’d until recently, but I needed a new front mech after the SRAM one died of very old age and I had an XT one in the bits box. Plus, I decided to try out hydro brakes after years on BB7s (jury is possibly still out)

Road/CX – Shimano evryfink bar front brake (BB7 front, Avid canti rear)

Why – It’s what it came with (apart from the disc, that’s my upgrade)

_tom_

I’ve always had Shimano so I just stick to what I know. Considered trying out sram as I always seem to have some kind of gearing issue, but can’t be bothered to spend all that money switching only to find out it’s the same or worse.

I do use Avid brakes though.

Premier Icon tomd
    Subscriber

Defo Shimano here. Reasonable costs for SLX / 105 level stuff and it just works. The 105 stuff on my cross bike has impressed me the most – a year of muddy rides and cross races and still works flawlessly. Same on the mountain bike, it just works.

mrblobby

SRAM on the mtbs. Shimano on the road bikes. Has always been this way.

Premier Icon ransos
    Subscriber

My experience of SRAM is that the shifters jam, the cassettes wear out quickly, and rear mechs are fragile. Chains however are excellent.

mrblobby

Hmm I do have a box of broken X0 rear mechs! Use the new x9 now and they seem a lot less fragile.

Premier Icon ononeorange
    Subscriber

I’m a bit like the OP. Shimano crankset / pedals, whatever cassette seems the best value, SRAM chain, SRAM shifters and mechs. I don’t get on with Shimano shifters / mechs, mostly as they don’t seem to stay in “tune” for more than 5 seconds and I am lousy at indexing, plus the feel of SRAM as some have mentioned. Plus I never got over the horrors of the combined brake / shifter thing and said never again.

Refused to touch Shimano brakes at all until last year bought an ex-demo bike with SLX brakes on; I was just going to take them off and sell them and replace with Hope but never got round to it somehow, and have ended up surprising myself by really liking the feel. They are still on but I await them going wrong and being unable to fix them (the reason I didn’t want to touch Shimano brakes).

Premier Icon nickc
    Subscriber

some people still can’t read the question

SRAM
    shifts better
    grip shift
    shifts better

Ahem…. 😀

Personally Shimano for shifters cassettes and mechs, prefer the soft action, SRAM chains they’ve never let me down, although I’m using a Shimano 10sp and it seems fine. Brakes Hope at the minute, just thought I’d give them a go, normally used Shimano in the part and liked them. Chain set at the minute is Raceface ( just because) it’s ok, might change back to Shimano

The only long term SRAM I had was gripshift XO when it first came out, and it was cool worked well looked great, sold the bike as complete, and went back to the big s. Never had an issue with either manufacturer, would happily swap if I needed to , just currently prefer the look and fell of Shim.

Jamie

I’ve always had Shimano so I just stick to what I know. Considered trying out sram as I always seem to have some kind of gearing issue, but can’t be bothered to spend all that money switching only to find out it’s the same or worse.

Same. Shimano on first MTB, so just continued using it as it never let me down. Since gone > Road > CX, and same still applies.

I did have a Boardman CX briefly which had SRAM Apex. Lovely shifting action, doubletap was nice….the front mech was a bollix, and lack of trim got me surprisingly annoyed.

Premier Icon kimbers
    Subscriber

chains, cassette – never noticed a difference
    cranks always been shimano: saint slx, deore, recently got an s1000 sram crankset and its a bit flexy compared even to deore, but it is their budget one(still pricey though!)

shifters, dreailiers- performance wise, i dont think theres much in it these days but ime sram stuff just doesnt last very long

JEngledow

I prefer the Sram thumb shifter to Shimano so run Sram rear mech and shifter, but get whatever chain and cassette is on offer at the time of needing a replacement, I only run 1×9 and have RaceFace cranks with RaceFace or Hope BB and Hope Brakes on both bikes!

SamB

Brakes: always been Shimano, ever since my first discs (XT 4-pots – still got them and they’re still working 🙂 )

MTB gears have been SRAM 9-speed for the last 7 years, felt more ‘positive’ than Shimano at the time I tried each of them out. Quite fancy trying some newer Shimano but SRAM XX1 is lovely…

Roadie was SRAM, but they don’t do electronic shifting yet. So it’s all been swapped out for Dura-Ace Di2 – absolutely fantastic groupset!

IHN

Shimano, without a doubt, just works.

What attracted me initally to SRAM was that it was different (and is realise that’s a bit pathetic). However, these days, Shimano MTB stuff is also uggg-leee, so that would put me off going full Shimano again.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Simano/Sram/Both.. what's your flavour and why?’ is closed to new replies.