• This topic has 14 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by igm.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Silly question 29er frame with 26 inch wheels?
  • gazerath
    Free Member

I know its a stupid question but, my rear wheel free hub has gone, its off for repair now and not sure I’ll get it back in time for weekend coming up.

I’ve some old 26 inch wheels in shed, can i use them on my 29er, will it ride okay or will it just feel horrible.

Doing Welsh Ride thing and really don’t want to be on my touring bike like last year, want to be on MTB 🙂

m0rk
    Free Member

Couple of degrees off your head angle & a low BB maybe

Won’t be that bad if it’s that or not riding I bet.

gazerath
    Free Member

ah ha, I shall perhaps give it ago. Thanks

abbot
    Free Member

Some might say it’s the perfect setup. Probably some custom frames for this style already out there.

emanuel
    Free Member

good mud clearance.

Retrodirect
    Free Member

If you switch both wheels your BB will lower around 30mm. Can be mitigated a little by larger tyres. your steering will be lighter as you’ve less trail.

If you change just the rear wheel your bike will slacken by a degree and a half and you’ll lose about 10-15mm off your bb and your steering will be much heavier due to more trail.

I would switch both wheels, especially if bikepacking, the lighter steering will feel better with the weight of your bags just watch the REALLY low BB. (probably still higher than the touring bike, mind)

gazerath
    Free Member

I’m hopeful my wheel will be back in time so it will be full 29er again.

Currently sorting kit just dont sure what to take.

antimony
    Free Member

Remember to take both sizes of spare inner tubes.

Beagleboy

I’ve been wondering the same thing about all my 26in kit. All my spare forks and wheels are 26in, but nowadays the frames I like are all 650b.

Would I die if I put 26in wheels on a 650b frame, or would it just steepen the head angle a wee bit, the equivalent of dropping my current fork’s travel from 150mm to 130mm?

B.

kelvin

Would I die if I put 26in wheels on a 650b frame, or would it just steepen the head angle a wee bit, the equivalent of dropping my current fork’s travel from 150mm to 130mm?

So, 650b forks and both wheels 26″?
    Same head angle, lower BB.

26″ forks (more travel that the 650b forks) and both wheels 26″
    Same head angle, lower BB.

26″ forks (but same travel as the 650b forks) and both wheels 26″
    Steeper head angle and even lower BB.

Of course BIG 26″ tyres will mitigate the changes somewhat.

TooTall
    Free Member

Remember to take both sizes of spare inner tubes.

As long as he has 26 he’ll be fine. They work in 29er tyres.

takisawa2

They do, but it’s less faff trailside if you’ve the right size. Stretching them in at home is easy, cold wet fingers less so.

I stretched a 20″ into a 29″ one freezing night, after grabbing the wrong size on the way out in a hurry. It lasted about 10yrds. 😕

Retrodirect
    Free Member

The difference between the bb heights on 26″ and 650b will be 12.5mm. Noticeable but you’ll be fine. Lower BBs are faster.

emanuel
    Free Member

until you clip your pedals. 😉

igm

Pedal strike?

Edit: beaten to it. Must stop reading last night’s posts.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Silly question 29er frame with 26 inch wheels?’ is closed to new replies.