Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 88 total)
  • Silly Place names you HAVE to ride to!
  • richiethesilverfish
    Free Member

Crapstone – Its on Dartmoor.
    I’m sure I drove past a place called Three Cocks in Wales once too.

bajsyckel

There’s some decent riding around Cocklicks, which, as we’re on the subject is just round the corner from Twathats. Dumfriesshire, not far from Dalbeattie.

And in the northern isles Twatt crops up in a few variations.

slimtubing
    Free Member

PukePuke
    Lake Pukaki
    Whakapapa(WH= fah in NZ pronounced just like you fear it might be)
    Puni has a nice wee MTB club
    all over here in sunny NZ.

Harry_the_Spider

nob end

M6TTF
    Free Member

Theres a hill known locally as buggers knob

wingnuts

The Gob in Blewdley.

dave360

bugpowderdust
    Free Member

Descent round my way that goes down ‘Grandfathers Bottom’, bugger of a climb though.

IHN

I have often found myself in Tomtit’s Bottom, but have yet to venture to Slutswell. And on my way to work I often go through Dunkirk and near Pennsylvania.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Theres a place called bar end somewhere near the forest of Ae, near to Dumfries.

Then there’s Sandy Balls near Fordingbridge, although it always seems to rub me up the wrong way….
    /coat

geordiemick00
    Free Member

i’ve been to twatt on the Orkneys.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Lost

lost by stuartie_c, on Flickr

Twatt

Orkney70 by stuartie_c, on Flickr

DezB
    Free Member

Cocking on the South Downs is always a favourite. Nearby is Cockshot Wood.

nonk
    Free Member

few crackers in northumberland that spring to mind:

Wideopen

noplace

shitlington.

jonjones262
    Free Member

PENISarwaun near Llanberis.

I was about to post about bellend near santa pod too!! I ended up there lost years ago.

jonjones262
    Free Member

Shatton, near hope

grunty
    Free Member

Wet Wang & also ‘Land Of Nod’ – I did have a photo of the latter but I can’t find it.

Here is the wiki entry http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Land_of_Nod

BlindMelon
    Free Member

There’s a village near Londonderry called Muff. And just past the main road is the back road to Muff. A much tougher ride apparently..

The builders merchant in Muff is called Divers as well, no joke….

http://www.yourlocal.ie/d/builders-merchants-co-donegal/charles_diver_builders_providers_limited_074_9384041

clubber
    Free Member

There’s Paradise Bottom in Leigh Woods just outside Bristol. Always makes me smile

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

i ride to work…thats a silly name

antthebike
    Free Member

Loving the muff, bet those merchants get some stick! A place called cumguzlin cant be real! Really? Catherine slack is good, thong is such a good word! Really liking the Bell end Farm, does that make the farmer a bell end!? Can you imagine the conversation when he walks into the local?!!!Loving the lovelace yes I am old enough to know/remember the reference, RIP Linda. Be nice to organise a ride to some of these places, would love to be reading oout the route itinerary. Anyone who sniggers gets a ride forfeit! 😆

scud
    Free Member

Fan-y-big in the brecon beacons always makes me snigger like a 15 year old (as does Fenella Fudge the Radio 2 newsreader for some reason!)

Tracey

rOcKeTdOg

bumhole by rOcKeTdOgUk, on Flickr

iDave
    Free Member

I’ve been to a town called Moron in Mongolia and all I got was a charger for a Nokia.

MoreCashThanDash

There’s a “Spanker” pub on Spanker Lane not far from here – get a lot of annoying phone calls, apparently….

scu98rkr
    Free Member

quite a grim one near me is gallowstree common.

manton69

I always like the road out of Much Wenlock towards Shrewsbury as you have to go past Wigwig and Homer. I secretly hope that there is a Doh! somewhere close. There is also a shop in Knockin where there is, of course, a shop.

Another favourite are the Wallops (Over, Middle and Nether) in Hampshire.

My favourite local one that I just have to ride past is Bottom Farm. I just have a mental picture of the rows of the eponymous crops somewhere over the hedge.

MoreCashThanDash

Nearly forgot, had to do an inspection down Virgins Alley a couple of years ago – lovely spot it was too……

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Bell End is 3 miles from my house

I think you’ll find it’s a lot, lot closer than that… 😉

We should be riding to Shiteburn Lane and Grope**** Lane on Saturday’s Pootle. they’re not called those rude things any more though. And unlike most of the otherwise innocent placenames on this thread, these two mean what they say. 😳 Which is why their names have bin changed.

rOcKeTdOg

…think you’ll find it’s a lot, lot closer than that

I thought you lived in london

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Bell End is 3 miles from my house

You are John Wayne Bobbit and I claim my £5.

mintimperial

There’s a Benny Hill just above Hollingworth Lake near Rochdale, that one always makes me smile.

Grope**** Lane

Grape Lane in York wasn’t always called Grape Lane, it was renamed for precisely the same reason.

AdamT

I have a customer just up the road from a place called F**king, in Austria. Have a look on google maps 🙂

bugpowderdust
    Free Member

Forgot the other ones round here, you can go via Cockshott Lane to get down Happersnapper Hanger and also via Queens Corner to get on the bridleway over Titty Hill.

rossm
    Free Member

This town pretty well lived up to its name:

http://satinbowerblog.blogspot.com/2008/09/back-from-italy.html

headfirst
    Free Member

I was gonna say Penistone, which I always say Penis-tone, unlike the locals who say ‘Pennystun’. Anyways I can do a road ride through there and Thongsbridge, Netherthong and then Upperthong.

Oggles
    Free Member

There’s a place called Cocklick End at Gisburn Forest…
    SNIGGER

fourbanger
    Free Member

gavtheoldskater – Member

ding dong… its just up the hill from me and i regularly ride by it.

My girlfriend found it very amusing when we were down your way and insisted I posed for a photo in my bibs by the sign….

_tom_
    Free Member

hahah rocketdog that’s great.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 88 total)

The topic ‘Silly Place names you HAVE to ride to!’ is closed to new replies.