Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 94 total)
  • Signed Jason McRoy poster
  • muddyfoxcourier
    Free Member

Yea . The kid was good.

uplink
    Free Member

JMC probably died before uplink was born. Anyone who’s been around in the scene for a while knows who he his….. numpty…

Really?

I wish – I was probably working before he was born – the fact that I don’t know who he is makes me a numpty heh?
    How does that work?

Oh well – I’ve been call called worse
    If all you can manage is personal insults – I’ll leave you to it
    I won’t lower myself to your level

simondbarnes

Dirt rocks. It’s the only reason I still have a VHS player 🙂

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jimmy

would he have been better than Steve Peat had he lived on???

Interesting, I bet more than a few people have wondered that as he used to kick Peaty’s butt all the time. But then he was older and stronger. I reckon they’d have been good sparring partners, pushing each other further. JMCs potential made his death all the worse – IIRC his first season or 2 with Specialized had been blighted by injuries or mechanicals so he didn’t quite live up on the international scene. Always looked dam good on a bike, though. No one matched him for sheer style AND speed.

God speed.

mAx_hEadSet

I still have a Sub 8 team helmet he gave me at the worlds in Vail along with a few pairs of tyres that are now alas well gone. His dad is trying to set up a museum and it might be a better home than ebay… if you are interested I can tell Jim, I’ve offered some early NPS entry forms from races I organised he rode in that I decided to save from the bin and hang onto

martinxyz
    Free Member

I always seen him as the coolest of the bunch back then and always think about what would have been if he didnt have the accident as far as what all the top racers of today have achieved. I recon he`d have been ahead of some of the big names we know of today.

NZCol

I raced against him once and very briefly was in front*

I also remember he had a very lovely gf at the time !

But was a very sound bloke and had a few chats with him at various intervals. Was definitely a sad day when we lost him.

*on a technicality I may have been in his way…

hora
    Free Member

Stop saying the word ‘old’ FFS. I started Uni in 1994. I dont remember there being chaps walking round in bowler hats or Austin Healeys on every corner.

catnash
    Free Member

Don’t sell it. I had a signed Ned Overend World championship jersey with his name on the back. (I never tried it on but he was very thin). I sold it on ebay. Really regret that one now.

el_boufador

I remember seeing JMC in that ^^ race at Lyme park. He was riding down steep stuff on his salsa with no front tyre that other ‘elite’ riders were walking. Awe inspiring to the 14 yr old I was at the time. Still awe inspiring to the 30 yr old I am now.

mrsflash
    Free Member

Also, he was well fit 🙂 And a really nice bloke too.

sq225917
    Free Member

Top of the kamikazee, last two runs.

Myles Rockwell and JMC.

MR: Hey mate you haven’t got any body armour on, what gives?

JMC: I’m not gonna fall off!

He crashed the first run and Myles beat him down by 12 seconds or so. 2nd run, JMC doesn’t crash and puts ten second into Myles. Coulda won it…

Top marks for style though.. 😉

theflatboy
    Free Member

this is worth a read, some good quotes and insights:

http://www.bikeradar.com/fitness/article/jason-mcroy-a-tribute-15536

bensales
    Free Member

Personally, I’d keep the poster. Same reason I’ve still got my copy of Dirt, despite not even owning a video player any more.

I started mtb in about ’88 when I started secondary school, and through MBUK followed Jason’s career up till his death. I was working in a bike shop at the time, and I vividly remember the sense on numbness in the shop on the Monday morning.

His style on the bike was fantastic. I always loved the foot out mx-style cornering, even on a hardtail. And the shot on the Bikerader article of the crossed up jump just sums him up perfectly. Probably a reason why I still have a Specialized bike as well.

RIP JMC. You’re still one of the few heroes I have 15 years later.

martyntr
    Free Member

I thought numpty was rather tame. Anyways it is my opinion…… He was god like when I was a teenager, in the same way that Hans Rey is a living and breathing God…….

theflatboy
    Free Member

i’m with you on that one martyn.

uplink
    Free Member

I thought numpty was rather tame. Anyways it is my opinion

It is indeed rather tame – I just can’t figure out why you’d think that not having heard of his fella before makes somebody one

Gary_M
    Free Member

uplink it’s not the fact that you don’t know who Jason McRoy is, thats fair enough, it’s more of the attitude you’re giving out. To many of us who were mountain biking in the early 90’s McRoy was the man, and we’ll never forget him, he stood for everything that was good in the sport at the time. Read his story, you may be inspired, but you’ll never have the memories we have about him. And that’s something you clearly don’t understand. Maybe you’re trolling.

As for the poster – I’d never sell it.

uplink
    Free Member

I made 2 posts
    1 saying I didn’t know who he was, the other explaining why I didn’t know who he was & offering an opinion as to it’s worth [in answer to the OPs suggestion of auctioning it]

What sort of ‘attitude’ would you like?

Spankmonkey
    Free Member

Why dont you drop the argument, I started back in 87 ish and sadly remember this, injury stopped him being recognised for the great rider he was and he never topped the tables, he was a deamon rider who would have been THE great one. Slanging over why people dont know him is rather pathetic, if you dont know him fair enough, if you get flamed dont bite back. Sadly I lost my old MBUK bike mags with him in…. gutted

Gary_M
    Free Member

What sort of ‘attitude’ would you like?

One where people on this thread aren’t thinking ‘that uplink fella is coming across as a bit of a prick’ would be good.

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Walks in and bows head at homage to J McRoy.

I am with Uplink btw. I asked a similar question last year and got the same responses. He was a rider, a nice guy and inspired a few guys to ride. In the grand scheme of things its not surprising a few of us havent heard of him.

I went and read the website his father set up and understood a little bit and moved on. Some of you guys can get a little overprotective of your psuedo-grief imo.

martyntr
    Free Member

I just can’t figure out why you’d think that not having heard of this fella before makes somebody one

Google ? type it in and away you go 😉

The numpty comment was just that…. a comment and was not meant to offend. I’m not over protective, but more so have a tendancy to do a bit of research before i make comments sometimes…

Anyway, no hard feelings man…..

uplink
    Free Member

No hard feelings from me either

mind you – I’ve just received an email having a go at me & wishing that someone close to me has a nasty accident & then “I’ll know how they feel” – apparently

I think some people here really do need to get help

I won’t comment further

martyntr
    Free Member

I think some people here really do need to get help

That’s the internet for you….

Surfr
    Free Member

So Anyway

sofatester
    Free Member

Come on Uplink, name and shame! Then we can spam attack them 😈

uplink
    Free Member

No idea who it was – email addy was d747519@bsnow.net

chela
    Free Member

Oh dear. Well, this has descended (ahem) into a bit of a ruck.

JMC was pretty significant to most people who were involved in the mountain bike scene back in the day. I don’t think peeps are showing ‘pseudo-grief. If you weren’t around at the time it’s hard to understand the tight-knit feeling of the mountain bike community at the time – because it had a different feeling around it than now – and appreciate that his death had a genuine impact on it.

Great rider. And in racing terms he was the first that blazed a trail for Peaty, Warner, Moseley, and the Athertons.

Great guy. Much to the amusement of the crowd, we once crashed on precisely the same piece of tame singletrack at an xc race in the north east. Even though he was a big world cup star at the time, he stil turned up to the local scene and could still laugh at himself and kick the banter around with goons like me.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Certainly wasn’t me uplink, I said what I wanted to say in my posts. Pretty sad that someone would send you an e-mail about it.

ceekay
    Free Member

Sorry, only just read this post.

Uplink, who’s Elvis?

JMC, i didn’t know him, never saw him race but was really saddened at the news of his death. He was already brilliant and was only going to get faster and better.

uplink
    Free Member

Uplink, who’s Elvis?

Don’t you know anything?

Bunnyhop

Agreed mrs flash. He was a real looker.

DezB
    Free Member

Two things – if Uplink wasn’t trying to stir things up, wouldn’t he have typed “Who’s Jason McRoy” into Google, instead of into this thread?

and 2, if anyone wants Dirt on DVD, along with a couple of other old “classic” MTB vids (Mud Cows) I can do very good DVD copies. Just cover the cost of my time, the disc and postage. Email me if interested.

EDIT- When I say “my time” – I don’t mean I charge by the hour, just that I’m not trying to make a business out of this!! 🙂

mrsflash
    Free Member

Him and John Tomac, my early mtbing crushes 🙂

uplink
    Free Member

if Uplink wasn’t trying to stir things up, wouldn’t he have typed “Who’s Jason McRoy” into Google, instead of into this thread?

What? so you thought I knew all about him but decided to stir things?

They did land on the moon you know

Anyway Google [& some other search engines] are blocked on my works PC so I really don’t do any web searching whilst on the payroll
    Any other – shoot in the dark – theories?

DezB
    Free Member

Google’s blocked but STW isn’t. Strange internet policy your company has!

uplink
    Free Member

They do block other sites if they get too many hits & become too visible
    STW is probably only used by me [out of 250 other users]

They’re more concerned with what content sites can serve up rather than people doing other stuff in work hours

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Got to stick up for Uplink, here. Seems he/she’s asked a perfectly innocent question, then got abused for doing so. And several people have jumped on a ‘let’s bash Uplink’ bandwagon. And he/she’s defended themselves very reasonably.

Chill.

I’ve heard of JMC, btw. Only through mags. Seemed he was an exceptional talent, but unknown, outside what was an even more niche sport than it is now. I doubt the vast majority of people will know who the current World DH champ is. But they might have heard of Elvis.

RIP, JMC. Always sad to see such talent snuffed out, far too early.

But please get some perspective. This has got a bit ‘Dianaesque’. I can’t see as how Uplink intended any malice or insensitivity, and pmailing him/her is way, way out of order. And very disrespectful to JMC’s memory.

Best to leave it there, I reckon.

Houns

You can’t mention JMC and Diana fred, it’ll get removed

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 94 total)

The topic ‘Signed Jason McRoy poster’ is closed to new replies.