Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 94 total)
  • Signed Jason McRoy poster
  • jimmy

I’ve just found an old poster of JMC which he signed at Bike 95. It has been rolled up for a few years since being on my wall back at my folks. Question is, what to do with it? Thinking of selling / auctioning it for charity – reckon there’s enough interest to merit doing this?

Any other ideas? I’d keep it, but it will remain rolled up and wasted. Would be good if it could be displayed in a bike location somewhere, like a cafe or shop, where it might be appreciated.

uplink
    Free Member

Who’s Jason McRoy?

has he done something I should know about?

Surfr
    Free Member
    tomdebruin
    Free Member

I’ve got one of those hanging (not literally) around somewhere. Nice idea to sell it for charity. Don’t really know what the demand would be like.

franksinatra

Have a look here

edit: too slow with this link

peachos
    Free Member

jmc = legend

sharki
    Free Member

Keep it, it’s of more value to you if he signed it to you.

But sounds like you don’t value it properly.

Send it to me please

ash

he was the first UK DHer to open a can of whoop-ass in the US

died in a motorcycle accident in 1995

uplink
    Free Member

Not interested in racing [unpowered bikes anyway] so I guess that’s why he’s never popped his head up on my radar
    All the same it’s hardly a signed Elvis poster is it? – can’t see it being worth much

warton
    Free Member

sell it? are you mad, the guys a legend that would have pride of place on my wall…

jimmy

sell it? are you mad, the guys a legend that would have pride of place on my wall…

I know I know I’d love to have it up on the wall, in a small flat I don’t think the SO would agree. Maybe I’ll wait until I have a garage and it can go alongside the Mint Sauce posters

glenh
    Free Member

Ah, Bike 95. My first bike show.
    All those purple anodised bits!

roadie_in_denial
    Free Member

Uplink…I’m not sure if I’m overly sensitive today or something but your flippant tone is irking me somewhat. I think the issue is who the said item would be worth something to. JMC’s loss was a tragic one and was keenly felt by the mountain biking community, some of whom still remember him. I think a little sensitivity wouldn’t go amiss.

I’ll get down off my soap box now, shall I?

Spankmonkey
    Free Member

Frame it and keep it, the bloke is a legend. Or auction it and ask a bike mag to get you some publicity with a link to the auction, I know MBUK did an article on him a month or so back! I would want to make sure it went to a good home though!

uplink
    Free Member

I think the issue is who the said item would be worth something to

The OP mentioned auctioning it so I guess it’s worth is relevant in this instance

I merely said I’d never heard of him & explained why, if that upsets you I think you are indeed over sensitive.

Jeez, some people are desperate to be offended

brant
    Free Member

I’ve got a Specialized Skin Suit of his in my wardrobe. It’s going nowhere.

stonemonkey
    Free Member

I’d buy it didnt they auction of his stumpy at the show to raise money. I like to build up a jmc replica one day

jimmy

brant – swap…?

IGMSS

pk-ripper
    Free Member

I have one of them at home too – says “stay fast, Jason”. Obviously he knew I was well fast.

As for worth, probably little to nothing sadly.

sofatester
    Free Member

I remember seeing him in the first “proper” video with Warner and Company on what seemed like a holiday in the country, complete with goats and chickens trying to eat there breakfast! Can anyone remember what it was called and who else was in it? Had some really surreal music sections in it, plus a bizarre ford crossing scene?

The one thing I can remember from it was JMC giving it some gas down the side of a dry-stone wall. I just thought, I want to ride that fast and look that strong…

…the James Dean of the mountain bike world.

theflatboy
    Free Member

i met him at a bike show shortly before he died, when i was just 14 or so. then got a letter published in MBUK saying what a legend he was after the accident 🙁

he was a legend. 🙂

glenh
    Free Member
    franksinatra

Sofatester, have a look here

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Uplink…I’m not sure if I’m overly sensitive today or something but your flippant tone is irking me somewhat. I think the issue is who the said item would be worth something to. JMC’s loss was a tragic one and was keenly felt by the mountain biking community, some of whom still remember him. I think a little sensitivity wouldn’t go amiss.

No, stay there. You’re right.
    JMC is a legend. I met him once, at the Malverns Classic. Top bloke too.

sharki
    Free Member

That’s not right, just sat there watching the youtube clip, i’ve got the vid right next to me….back in20mins 🙂

theflatboy
    Free Member

that day at bike 95 was probably the greatest of my life to that point (and since!) – i got my own personally drawn mint sauce picture and met JMC. can’t beat that. 😀

lowey

He was an iconic figure in the first half of the 90’s as the sport was really developing. As the sport grew, JMC was the face that was most recognizable and the one that was loved by the biking media. He must have been on more MBUK covers than anyone else. His story is one of getting over adversity and still rising to the top of his game.

He really was an inspiration to many many riders. Still think of him every time I go over Woodhead.

The DIRT video was always a good watch and summed up mountain biking for me pretty much.

pk-ripper
    Free Member

Erm, you should be able to beat that comfortably

zaskar
    Free Member

Used to read about this guy in my MTB magazines in the 90’s!

He had an accident on his motorbike and the left the world early :_(

But he inspired many riders not just the U.K. ;D

LordSummerisle
    Free Member

I remember seeing him in the first “proper” video with Warner and Company on what seemed like a holiday in the country, complete with goats and chickens trying to eat there breakfast! Can anyone remember what it was called and who else was in it? Had some really surreal music sections in it, plus a bizarre ford crossing scene?

That would be DIRT – an MBUK video, filmed by Pete “Mr. Crud” Tomkins around his home.

the main protagonist being
    Jason
    Rob Warner
    Dave Hemming
    Scott Dommett

peachos
    Free Member

glenh – Member
    Ah, Bike 2009. All those purple anodised bits!

sofatester
    Free Member

THANK YOU! 😀

This is the happiest i’ve felt at work, been here two years now. Think I need to ride my bike more 😐

mt
    Free Member

Sad but happy days those, I ride past his picture and flowers at the spot it happened on the Woodhead on a weekly basis, it always leaves me sad. Bit of a lesson for those that know what happened.

mamadirt
    Free Member

roadie_in_denial – Member

Room for another little one up there? Met his Dad at the Bike Show the year following his death. My son and I queued for ages to meet Missy without any luck but Jim McRoy invited us into the JMC Foundation stand, chatted and got us a signed card with Missy and Peaty’s signatures. I still have my JMC mug from that day (in fact it’s my profile pic). Thank you Jim.

Edit: well it was my profile pic – what’s happened 😐 . Here it is anyway.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Bit of a lesson for those that know what happened.

What did happen? I know it was a motorcycle accident, but that’s all….

theflatboy
    Free Member

pk-ripper – Member

Erm, you should be able to beat that comfortably

😕 you’ll have to give me an example, i’m afraid 🙂

stonemonkey
    Free Member

“Do not go where the path may lead but leave the path and make your own trail.”

Ride Free JMC

(Small tear)

tandemwarriors

Still written on my helmet:
    JMC – Ride & Remember.

Legend. Was at the NEMBA at Bingley on the weekend he died. He should’ve been racing there and the whole place was numbed. Make way for another on the soapbox!

And DIRT still takes my vote as the best biking video ever!

Rob

scruzer
    Free Member

a few more tit bits: JMC died on the Woodhead Pass and there stands a fine memorial, anyone got the free copy of dirt with MBUK- find extra bit when letting tape run to end (slightly emusing shinanigins), often wondered who chose the sound tracks for Dirt and was he/she a Play Dead fan in the 80’s (like myself) Re: This Side Of Heaven and finally would he have been better than Steve Peat had he lived on???

martyntr
    Free Member

JMC probably died before uplink was born. Anyone who’s been around in the scene for a while knows who he his….. numpty…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 94 total)

The topic ‘Signed Jason McRoy poster’ is closed to new replies.