Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • sideways play in rear wheel
  • keefmac

went for a quick ride yesterday and when back home could feel some sideways play in the rear wheel. its a mavic crossride 650b wheel on a mavic hub 142 x 12 maxle. checked maxle and its done up to the required torque level.

any ideas what it could be, i can’t see any obvious issues. loose spokes?

stevied
    Free Member

Pre-tension on the bearings? There should be a tool that can be used to tighten the pre-load cap.
    Tool should look something like this:

br
    Free Member

+1 bearings

Rorschach
    Free Member

If they are the same as crossrocs (and I think they are) there is a tapered washer and a spring clip to pre load the bearings.If you grab the wheel hard enough it feels like play but it’s not an issue when riding.
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/mavic-crossroc-rear-hub-wobble-fixed
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/play-in-mavic-crossride-rear-hub

keefmac

thanks for the quick responses guys. only noticed it on the way back home on the road, cornering felt like the rear was slipping sideways a little and the brake rotor sounded like it was rubbing. cant do anything with it til the weekend when it will be a trip to the lbs, dont have the tool to check the bearing. how much would this cost to sort, is it a quick <5 mins job?

stevied
    Free Member

Have you got a set of long nosed pliers/circlip pliers that might fit into the holes (if that’s what you hub has)? Might be able to nip it up enough. You might be able to feel if the cap is loose with your fingers. LBS shouldn’t charge much, if they have the tool..

keefmac

stevied – dont have any long nosed pliers and am at work down south now til friday afternoon. will check when i get home and poss drop in to the shop then.

many thanks for all the responses guys, i knew someone would have the answer

Keith

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘sideways play in rear wheel’ is closed to new replies.