Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Side business and tax
  • dirkpitt74

Guys,
    Thinking of reducing my regular job from 5 days to 4 and having a small weekend business.
    The business will not be related to my current job.
    It won’t take in tons of cash.
    So am I better to set up as a sole trader or Limited Company?
    What’s the easiest to administer for tax etc?

locum76
    Free Member

I’ve done this as sole trader. It’s dead easy. Self assessment once a year and no accountant required.

dirkpitt74

Thanks, how does it affect PAYE on my current job?
    Or does the self assessment just take the tax I’d pay on the extra earnings?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    andrewh
    Free Member

On your self-assessment you’ll declare the earnings from your job and your new business and say that you have aleady paid £x tax through PAYE and then work out how much exta you need to pay.
    Note: if the side business makes profits of less than £1k/year this is a ‘hobby’ and no tax will be due.

dirkpitt74

Thanks guys – greatly appreciated 👍

poolman
    Free Member

Yes I have just done my own self assessment for last year. Just write down revenues and costs as you go along, come year end just add them up. I have never had a problem but some businesses attract the attention of HMRC.

MoreCashThanDash

HMRC have had a bit of a focus on “adult work” in the last 2-3 years, so if that’s your weekend sideline just keep your paperwork in proper order.

(I know people on each side of the issue – the HMRC side said it had been “educational”, the other friend used slightly more colourful language!) 😄😂

maccruiskeen

the HMRC side said it had been “educational”, the other friend used slightly more colourful language!

I think I’ve seen this one

poolman
    Free Member

I find the HMRC explanatory notes really useful. For my venture, property, I think any profits under c 20k, you are allowed to just post 3 numbers, turnover, cost and taxable profit.

Actually first year I got an accountant to do it, then I copied the format.

dirkpitt74

Haha it’s definitely not going to be ‘adult’ lol

Dickyboy

Haha it’s definitely not going to be ‘adult’ lol

Well that’s a waste of a good username 😀

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Side business and tax’ is closed to new replies.