Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • Sick squid for a fish….
  • thegeneralist
    Free Member

That’s without chips..
    With chips it’s £8.50.
    Goodness, it’s a while since I’ve been out.

kerley
    Free Member

British fish for British people, where is your patriotism.

bruneep

£9.30 for a fish supper at our local according to his online menu

sockpuppet

“Supper” being the alternative spelling for: “and chips too please”.

For some reason.

It is. I know that it is. I just don’t really understand it, is all.

airvent
    Free Member

Is this at a local chippy or in a pub/restaurant? It has always been about that much if you’re sitting down somewhere to eat it.

PMK2060

£9 for fish & chips at our local chippy.

TomB

Just got 2x scampi and chips, 1x large cod and chips, curry sauce pot and 4 drinks. £32

It’s a while since I’ve been out, obviously. Seems similar everywhere now.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Have cod and haddock import prices gone up due to Brexit?

BigJohn

I paid £24 today for our meal for 2 this evening. That’s halibut, 6 oysters, 6 crab claws. That was from the fishmonger. I cooked it. Bloody lovely.
    Money well spent. Fish is expensive but considering the conditions the fishermen put up with its worth every penny.

oceanskipper

Money well spent. Fish is expensive but considering the conditions the fishermen put up with its worth every penny.

This

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Chippy in Ambleside.
    You’ll all be relieved to hear it worked out ok in the end.
    I decided to go budget option and ordered haggis supper instead. But my the time my mate’s fish had arrived it was clear they had forgotten my haggis completely.

So I suggested they “just give me a fish or whatever’s cooked”. Which they did.

Gnom.

Fish for £2.50 eh…. 😁

johnjn2000

Is the use of the word ‘Supper’ for a meal in the evening very much a middle class thing? To me ‘supper’ is a slice of toast or a bowl of cereal before bed

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Is the use of the word ‘Supper’ for a meal in the evening very much a middle class thing?

Yup. Country supper engenders a massively over the top reaction in me mainly since this: https://www.theguardian.com/media/2012/jun/14/camerons-country-suppers-nasty-taste

devash
    Free Member

Chippy in Ambleside.

There’s your answer – tourist tax innit.

the-muffin-man

£6.50 for small cod, chips and peas at my local chippy – and the small cod isn’t small. Just the regular ones are massive!

labsey
    Free Member

Does the price of the fish get higher the further you are from the coast?

allyharp

£7.65 for cod at our local. + £2.40 for chips.

cheekymonkey888
    Free Member

8.50 down here for regular cod and chips only £9.30 for a large cod and chips
    The price of a shish is another step up!

bsims
    Free Member

@ cloudnine – I thought most Cod and Haddock imported to the UK came from Iceland.

Haddock and Plaice are £4.50 at my local chip shop, I don’t know about the Cod, it is however, cheaper.

I thought supper was an older term for a pre bed snack on it’s own. As ‘fish supper’ I have only ever heard it used by people in/ from Scotland so I though it was regional thing used by all, not just the posh.

poly
    Free Member

Is the use of the word ‘Supper’ for a meal in the evening very much a middle class thing? To me ‘supper’ is a slice of toast or a bowl of cereal before bed

In a general context that may be true, but anywhere in Scotland a “supper” at the chippy means it comes with chips. This terminology is used by everyone from the most sophisticated occasional visitors to a chippy, to those who go every day, or on the way home from the pub. It is entirely irrelevant the time of day that you are having a chippy – lunchtime, early evening, late evening or even just after midnight – if it has chips its a supper. If it is just the fish/haggis/sausage/pudding/pie etc then its a “single”. In some establishments a “singe sausage” will actually include two sausages (and there may be a kids portion with only one, or a small sausage or “half-single sausage” option), this complexity also applies to the deep-fried pizza which is often available as a “single pizza” “half pizza” “pizza supper” or “half pizza supper”…

If you are confused, think of the poor Scots trying to order in an English chippy…

escrs
    Free Member

Cheapest Ive seen is in a local Chinese at £1.30 for a small cod and 80p for small chips

(this Chinese does a cracking Chicken curry and chips for £2.70!)

Dearest is £11 for medium cod, line caught in the Atlantic within the last week, £4 for chips using King Edward spuds from a local farm

dyna-ti

I dont like fish.

Neither the taste, nor the way they swim.

andytherocketeer

bargain!

was £15 for fish-n-chips the last time I was on the Newcastle ferry, and even then it was more like something you’d get from the freezer section and reheat in the oven rather than fresh.

twas why I’d blag a greggs picnic to take on board, although that was before B****t, so would probably get nicked for illegally exporting meat products doing that now.

timmys

Local (southern) chippy is now £10.45 for medium cod and chips.

Midlands based fun vacuum sister-in-law nearly died when i said we pay ~£40 to feed two adults two kids

ads678

Fish is about £3 at my local, chips are 90p small and £1.20 large I think. That’s in Woodlesford near Leeds. Bloody lovely as well.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Does the price of the fish get higher the further you are from the coast?

Well I live near to the point in the UK that is the furthest from the coast and I get Fish, Chips and large mushy peas for about £4.50. Massive fish, Cod or Haddock, and loads of chips. Way too much really, tend to share the chips with my daughter. But the fish is delicious.

bruneep

what poly says ^

say’s the man having his breakfast before bedtime….is that an upper class thing?

scotroutes

@poly – you forgot the English folk going on to order a “fish and chip supper” in Scotland not realising that’s a tautology.

BillMC

£5.50 for ‘small’ fish and chips, feeds two.

chewkw
    Free Member

£8.50 near my area.

British fish for British people, where is your patriotism.

At least the fish is “managed” in this part of the world.

Want to eat fish that’s near extinction then go to other part of the world. Yes, they will eat them until they are extinct coz fish in the ocean are free.

Poopscoop

So I’m the only one that didn’t know deep fried pizza is a thing?

wordnumb
    Free Member

I suspect there’s an engineering solution to all but your wildest deep frying ambitions.

Fish n chips ain’t cheap locally, I’ve overheard visitors to the area kick off over the price having ordered assuming a universal fnc constant.

scotroutes

So I’m the only one that didn’t know deep fried pizza is a thing?

It’s been a thing for at least 46 years. My third job as a lad was working in a chippy and we had cheap pizzas for deep frying. We used to hate them. It was fine if somebody wanted a whole one as you could just fold it over but a half pizza resulted in bits of topping coming off in the pan and messing up the lard. They’d also soak up so much of the lard that a heavy night of them meant topping the pan up regularly.

Some folk had them battered.

Edit. Yes. Lard. Big blocks of it.

funkmasterp

I went to our local chippy and asked for twice and a bag of chips. Pretty standard order in my home town. Turns out not to be the case where I live now. They just stared at me until I said can I have two fish and three portions of chips. Costs £8.50 for fish and chips.

We used to use the term supper for a late evening snack and definitely weren’t middle class.

bigyellowmarin
    Free Member

Having checked ‘urban dictioary’. I was amazed that “fish supper” is NOT a euphemism.

LeeW

Was visiting my mum in the Blackcountry last night, we had fish and chips from a local chippy, two x regular fish with a cone of chips, one regular fish and a jumbo sausage and chips special. Two bottles of Oasis, one can of soft drink and a fruit shoot. £15.95 – and I got a free large bottle of Lemonade for spending over £15.

The fish weren’t huge – between a large and mini fish they use for the specials. Far too many orange chips (as delicious as they are). Best thing was we ate them straight away, so they were as fresh as flip!

mashr

Premier Icon
    ads678
    Free Member

Fish is about £3 at my local, chips are 90p small and £1.20 large I think. That’s in Woodlesford near Leeds. Bloody lovely as well.

I’m concerned that either a) not actually food, or b) stuck in a 1991 time warp

bearGrease

£9.50 for a fish supper on Sunday, expensive but at least you can have deep fried Cadbury’s creme egg for afters.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Edit. Yes. Lard. Big blocks of it.

Pretty certain it would be beef dripping, not lard. Lard comes from pigs.

Beef dripping is by far the best way to cook fish and chips.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Pointless thread resurrection eye-opener thing…

Bloody hell Corbridge. Takeaway curry for five people was over eighty quid !!!!
    Admittedly we bought too much and have nans and a tiny bit of curry left today, but still… £84.

And it took 110minutes to cook. Ordered at 6:32 for pickup at 7:40.
    Sat in the restaurant till 8:20 waiting for it.

PS. Do I win a prize fir the most boring thread ever?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Sick squid for a fish….’ is closed to new replies.