Viewing 40 posts - 2,081 through 2,120 (of 2,459 total)
  • Sick of the incessant snow updates
  • matt_outandabout

I have just been looking out the window.

No snow today.

yetidave
    Free Member

Today a local bloke who crashed into someones garden during an icy spell a month or two back, who we felt sorry for at the time, crash in the same place today on a dry road. Turns out he is just a $hite driver.

Pigface
    Free Member

A friend just sent me a photo of it snowing in Carbondale, I know it’s in the Rockies but very late in the season.

mikejd

@matt_outandabout where are you? That’s good to know.

scotroutes

I have just been looking out the window.

I can still see snow looking out of mine 🙂

ernielynch

It feels as if it might be a while before the next snow update

The Guardian: UK weather: London mayor orders emergency response to heatwave.
    https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/jul/13/met-office-extends-danger-to-life-warning-for-heatwave-in-england-and-wales

Personally I’m starting to get sick of incessant heatwave updates.

matt_outandabout

I found some last week. In 29*c.

jimmy

Braeriach still has some

matt_outandabout

None today.

HtH @PatriotPro.

scotroutes

matt_outandabout

out flying today

#humblebrag

matt_outandabout

😎

somafunk

Wheeeee!

Pics or it didn’t happen

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Expecting a little here in sverige at the weekend. Will update!

scruff9252

Winter is coming!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/snowpatchesscotland/permalink/1994084814124893/

First snowfall of Autumn and bloody cold this morning it was too!

shermer75
    Free Member

As a southerner this is the time of year when I start to get very jealous of all the snowy landscapes you lucky lot have access to on a daily basis. Hiking and camping in the hills when they’re covered in snow might be one of the most life affirmingly amazing things you can ever do

dovebiker

As a southerner this is the time of year when I start to get very jealous of all the snowy landscapes you lucky lot have access to on a daily basis. Hiking and camping in the hills when they’re covered in snow might be one of the most life affirmingly amazing things you can ever do

What people think what living in the mountains is like in winter:

Snowy cabin

When the reality is:

Snow plough

We were pretty well snowed-in for a week as the local farmer/snow plough driver was pretty rubbish leaving 6ft drifts across the road that set like concrete.

shermer75
    Free Member

We were pretty well snowed-in for a week as the local farmer/snow plough driver was pretty rubbish leaving 6ft drifts across the road that set like concrete

That sounds like a good excuse to buy a pair of these bad boys

dovebiker

That sounds like a good excuse to buy a pair of these bad boys

Nope, that’s an ice tyre, which would struggle in any meaningful snowfall. Ideal snow bike conditions – -25C on a frozen river with groomed trails:

Fat biking

zippykona

In 12 years my ice tyres have been useful exactly once.
    The main track through the park had compacted snow due to all the walkers. It was like an ice road. Even dogs were having trouble standing on it .
    I just cruised through in complete control. Just don’t stop as your feet aren’t as grippy.
    To this day I have a 26er in the shed just in case I need to put my ice tyres on something.

shermer75
    Free Member

shermer75
    Free Member

Nope, that’s an ice tyre, which would struggle in any meaningful snowfall. Ideal snow bike conditions – -25C on a frozen river with groomed trails:

Is that you?! It looks amazing!!

shermer75
    Free Member

To this day I have a 26er in the shed just in case I need to put my ice tyres on something

Haha! Sounds like the sort of thing I’d do!!

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

Once the frosts start, I switch to some studded Schwalbe tyres on my commuter. The noise becomes more than a bit wearing, but the studs mean that the untreated tarmac cyclepath that I commute on is rideable even when unstandupable on.

When it’s really icy the dog walkers all take their dogs elsewhere to defecate, and it is bliss…

matt_outandabout

A bit of a wild week according to MWIS (of course, half term for many up here).
    However it looks like snow on the tops a few times as the gales blow through.
    😎

shermer75
    Free Member

thegeneralist
    Free Member

4/6 versus 5/300

That’s scary and depressing. We’re ****.

MoreCashThanDash

To this day I have a 26er in the shed just in case I need to put my ice tyres on something.

One of the reasons I still have a 26er! When the snow gets compacted to ice it was the only way I could commute to work

scotroutes

scotroutes

Will it actually hang around this time?

pk13

I was always told when new York gets snow we get it 4 weeks later buffalo just had 6ft (,US measured) in one night. I love a bit of snow

ratherbeintobago

@pk13 You might. I don’t.

Decent snowfall means watching the work rota explode as people either can’t get in, or the schools are shut…

dufresneorama
    Free Member

Gritters are oot!

matt_outandabout
    molgrips
    Free Member

I was hoping this thread would pop up. Rainy and wet here down south and temps of 4C are forecast, so I’m wondering if even some of our hills will have a dusting.

Northwind

I’m just realising, this is the first full winter where I live on a boring flat street instead of a steep one that turns into absolute chaos when it snows. This makes me sad. I won’t be able to smugly snowtyre my way up it or tow people out or go and help push and throw grit around and all that other stuff and the odds of there being an upside down car in someone’s garden are way down. Sad face.

On with the winter tyres and a topup of sheep juice tomorrow I think

jodafett

The scariest thing about this thread is the fact it’s 9 yrs old!! I could’ve sworn it was only about 3!!!!

mert
    Free Member

Went to sleep with a little bit on the ground (~10cm).

Woken up to 30-35 cm and had to dig the car out…
    Just been out and spent another hour clearing the path and drive.

Viewing 40 posts - 2,081 through 2,120 (of 2,459 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.