• This topic has 136 replies, 61 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by grum.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 137 total)
  • Sick of sexual discrimination in bike events
  • grum
    Free Member

Coming up next on STW – how white men are the most discriminated against group in our society. 🙄

jota180
    Free Member

Disabled yet your ride mountain bikes? Hope you’re not claiming.

Have you tried looking up disabled in a dictionary at all?

nealglover
    Free Member

No one should be disadvantaged due to their gender.

Is anyone disadvantaged though ?

Men pay the standard rate and women get £5 discount.

Should I consider myself discriminated against at the cinema (As a 39 year old, non student in full time employment) as I can’t seem to get any of the discounts available !!!!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    hels
    Free Member

I think it can be cultural. In NZ there is a huge womens racing scene, a lot to do with the popularity with Triathletism. It is not unknown for 200 ladies to turn up for a road race.

Here, shopping for handbags and make-up and being a bit useless rather than getting out and playing sport seems to be positively encouraged.

fizzpup
    Free Member

It’s my eyes marcus not my legs, no reason not to ride just don’t win anything

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Think of the fiver as a supplement for not having to queue every time you want a piss

Very drole Jota !!

I am all in favour of female events for many of the reasons given above. Why not create an environment in which female participants are going to feel comfortable and able to enjoy their sport. If they exclude me, so what, let them have their moonwalk etc as it fulfils a very good purpose.

But then at least be consistent. Sexism like racism needs to work both ways. Let’s cut out the bleating about male only clubs, events etc. Leave institutions like the MCC, the R&A alone. Overwise the excellent logic for female events falls flat on its face. So if most of these posts are correct, the consequential argument for encouraging more female Mtb outweighs the categorical imperative not to discriminate on the basis of sex?

fizzpup
    Free Member

Just evaluate discrimination isn’t negative doesn’t mean it’s not discrimination, possitive discrimination is illegal under the equality act

fizzpup
    Free Member

Also I wouldn’t mind a men’s only grass roots race (oooooh controversial) imagine how hard it
    Is for young men to focus on learning to race with all them giggling girls.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Fizzpup – or constant chatting? I was running a 30m XC ultra recently in all the snow with three guys. For about 5 miles we were running at the same pace as another group including a very nice lady, except for the fact that she did not stop chatting (didn’t even take a breath!). We had to put in a couple of fast miles just to drop her and regain the peace and tranquility of the countryside!! 😉

Bagstard
    Free Member

juan, men have to have their hair cut at least three times as often and if I wanted to change the colour evey week it would cost just as much. Anyway the hair money is soon rebalanced by the drinks not bought! 🙂

deanfbm
    Free Member

You do know that the steel city dh is for the greno wood appeal right? It’s going to pay for trails that more men are likely to use.

It’s also not a serious race, or even really a DH race. Is there any point getting worked up over it?

Also the people organising it are doing it off their own back for the love of the sport, nothing else. Is it fair to criticise something people are doing off their own back?

fizzpup
    Free Member

So if I had organised a race off my own back and said no blacks I’d be immune from
    Criticism? Just because I love the sport. I wouldn’t but that’s the point your making

juan
    Free Member

Well the main difference is that women in presence of men can behave themselves. It does sadly don’t work the other way I am afraid.

juan
    Free Member

bagstard if you don’t manage to get the girls to buy you drinks you’re doing it wrong 😉

Bagstard
    Free Member

juan,I wasn’t talking about me! 🙂

ocrider

Let’s cut out the bleating about male only clubs, events etc. Leave institutions like the MCC, the R&A alone.

It is unfortunate that mountain biking is being touted as the new golf. Some of the misogynism from over there seems to be leaking over already.

Bagstard
    Free Member

Oh and the girls can behave pretty badly in a female dominated environment!

grum
    Free Member

So if I had organised a race off my own back and said no blacks I’d be immune from
    Criticism? Just because I love the sport. I wouldn’t but that’s the point your making

mudsux
    Free Member

the average women earns less than the average man.
    likewise children also get charged less.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

ocrider – Member
    Let’s cut out the bleating about male only clubs, events etc. Leave institutions like the MCC, the R&A alone.

It is unfortunate that mountain biking is being touted as the new golf. Some of the misogynism from over there seems to be leaking over already.

On the contrary, its just a simple recognition that single sex environments can be conducive to enjoyment. So let them be, but on all sides. Misogynism means anti-female, so how can it be misogynistic to support all female events, preferential pricing etc? But if we are to allow all female clubs and all female events or differential pricing for female participants, then the same should work in reverse, otherwise we are not being logical or fair – merely biased.

kayak23

Disabled yet your ride mountain bikes? Hope you’re not claiming.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzF96izL-tI[/video]

HermanShake
    Free Member

Is this thread a troll convention?

The opinions pointed out against the original point show a lack of understanding for the whole reason the sport is being made more accessible.

Single gender sport groups/events work well for females for a number of reasons, for which there is loads of evidence. If our culture was more balanced, there would be no need. However, it is currently very divided and to deny that is ridiculous.

This isn’t just a sexist mtb thing, it’s the product of trying to re-balance macho social environments which don’t include large numbers of the population.

I’d like to see mixed gender events as well as single gender, but that would need a fair bit of social progress before we had a big enough female riding population for this to gather momentum.

As said by others, I’d love to see more females in the sport. £5 for a bit of progress is a bargain!

Lifer
    Free Member

+1 to Herman Shake and the rest who aren’t doing their best gumby impression.

joao3v16
    Free Member

So if I had organised a race off my own back and said no blacks I’d be immune from criticism?

It’s probably acceptable to charge women less for an event to encourage more women, but unacceptable to charge blacks less for an event to encourage more blacks …

We’re allowed ‘women only’ clubs/events, but not ‘black only’ or ‘white only’ …

So it seems discrimination is ok if it’s dressed up as being done for women for ‘positive’ reasons …

EDIT: another +1 for Herman Shakes by the way.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

As said by others, I’d love to see more females in the sport. £5 for a bit of progress is a bargain!

Hear, hear! And as a male ballet dancer, I am sick of paying more for my kit, more roles for girls and the whole estrogen-dominated society that ballet is. Its so intimidating. Thank goodness for Matthew Bourne giving us the chance to re-balance this distorted art/sport. I hope my club will give us blokes a 20% discount on our subs to redress the balance. 😉

Peyote
    Free Member

The £5 cheaper element could just be ‘sop’ to keep the liberal feminist element of the MTBing community happy. The more radical will view it more as a cheap way of removing responsibility for tackling the wider mysoginistic elements at work within these events, the sport and society as a whole.

Just my thinking anyway.

Bagstard
    Free Member

Well my wife is (obviously) female, an absolute stunner and an ethnic minority! Surely that is worth free entry and a podium place?!

grum
    Free Member

Well my wife is (obviously) female, an absolute stunner and an ethnic minority! Surely that is worth free entry and a podium place?!

POIDH.

Lifer
    Free Member

Ah Peyote, I love satire, chapeau!

scottfitz
    Free Member

Dude, only birds complain about sexual discrimination. You’re a bloke, BTFU.

Yep thats true ❓
    http://www.thefreedictionary.com/sexism

psling
    Free Member

When you consider that in GB we have some of the top female DH racers in the world, top female cx riders in the world, top female road riders in the world, and top female track riders in the world, it is a shame that cycling doesn’t get more media attention to encourage more young females to take up the sport.
    Having said that, in my usual riding haunts there are a LOT of female cyclists riding for leisure and there are female teams entered into many of the 12/24 hour events, so it’s certainly not all doom and gloom for the ladies 8)

wallop

Jesus wept, it’s only a fiver. I think the OP needs to MTFU a bit.

Lifer
    Free Member

joao3v16 – Member
    So if I had organised a race off my own back and said no blacks I’d be immune from criticism?
    It’s probably acceptable to charge women less for an event to encourage more women, but unacceptable to charge blacks less for an event to encourage more blacks …

We’re allowed ‘women only’ clubs/events, but not ‘black only’ or ‘white only’ …

So it seems discrimination is ok if it’s dressed up as being done for women for ‘positive’ reasons …

EDIT: another +1 for Herman Shakes by the way.

Might want to read his post again seeing as yours contradicts it.

hels
    Free Member

Well, I am organising a Womens race (as part of a night that includes a Mens race and a Family ride) and in the interests of fairness I will be organising some podium beefcake to present the prizes. If anybody would care to apply for the job please email me pics.

Hell, I might even give you a fiver for your troubles.

scottfitz
    Free Member

Hell, I might even give you a fiver for your troubles.

😀

Bagstard
    Free Member

Just for you grum and far from good pics.

Dalbeattie 023

fourbanger
    Free Member

Is this based on being genetically female? Will simply declaring myself female and dressing as a woman be enough to qualify for my discount or do I have to go the whole hog and get the op?

druidh
    Free Member

I’m surprised this thread has got this far. Last time we went over this it was about a women-only sporting that STW were advertising/featuring and the thread got pulled PDQ.

loum
    Free Member

nealglover – Member
    No one should be disadvantaged due to their gender.
    Is anyone disadvantaged though ?
    Men pay the standard rate and women get £5 discount.
    Should I consider myself discriminated against at the cinema (As a 39 year old, non student in full time employment) as I can’t seem to get any of the discounts available !!!!

But if there was a £5 discount for all females there, would that still be fine?

Lifer
    Free Member

Do less women attend the cinema?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 137 total)

The topic ‘Sick of sexual discrimination in bike events’ is closed to new replies.