Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Sick note advice
  • marcg868
    Free Member

Had a Septoplasty with Turbinate reduction on the 19th December. And was told 2 weeks off work but perhaps more due to your job.
    Now I went to the GP on Monday as my sick note ran out on the 3rd and wanted to see if I’m fine to go back, been told I have a slight infection and been given Antibiotics for 5 days but he has given me another sick note for two weeks.
    Personally apart from my nose feeling slightly sore and a bit ooozy I feel fine and really want to get back to work.

Now I work in the NHS on Orthopaedic trauma and wondering can I go back before my sick note ends or is it not wise? Worried about finances. And getting a crap wage whilst I’m off.

Drac

If you feel well enough you can go back it’s a recommendation not compulsory.

northshoreniall

As per Drac, if your well enough go back, you don’t need signed back by GP/ issuer of note anymore. They are now called fit notes not sick notes – idea being sick notes encouraged not going back whereas fit notes can advise on capability and get people back to work on appropriate duties (except in cases like TJ thread) .

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    marcg868
    Free Member

Finish the course then go back then? Co Amoxiclav and me means full of brown liquid.
    I don’t need two weeks off at all.

northshoreniall

Whenever you feel fit if it’s before end of cert just go back.

marcg868
    Free Member

Aye true, been there 8 years so imagine it won’t effect my pay massively.

wwpaddler
    Free Member

Might depend on what your work say. I tried to go back to work whilst I was signed off as I felt fine and was going crazy sat at home. Work refused and sent me back home for another week. I only had a broken arm in a cast.

marcg868
    Free Member

Only thing they might be cautious on is my risk of a repeat infection. See what they say first.

bentandbroken

I tried to go back whilst signed-off once and the GP and my company both said I was not insured to work as I was signed off.

DT78
    Free Member

I thought there were potential insurance issues which meant most employers say to stay off until the end of the fit note.

I think it can also apply to other non work stuff (like driving and car insurance) as when I had a broken scaphiod I was told not to drive – even though the cast really wasnt that restrictive.

DrP

You can return at any point you feel fit.. BUT..your employer can have the final say in some situations.
    They may want to involve HR etc etc.
    TBH, your situation sounds simple enough, and if you feel well enough to return, and it’s an NHS setting, they’ll have you back.
    Heck, I imagine they’d have had you back from the recovery room!!

DrP

petec
    Free Member

I was signed off for two weeks last year, after a hand operation

Operation on the monday morning. Working (from home) on the Monday afternoon, with arm still under nerve block.

Worked from home for the two weeks signed off; would’ve gone in, but I wasn’t able to drive with the splint on. Wasn’t in pain (i have a high pain threshold), was sat doing not a lot. Didn’t work all the time obviously, but a good 5-6 hours a day.

I was reprimanded by work for doing it (not formally, but…). Even though it saved a couple of issues, and made everyone’s life easier, I shouldn’t have done it. So next time, sod em. If I’m signed off, I’m off.

Scapegoat

Just one caveat. You’re proposing to ignore medical advice and work in an orthopaedic trauma room with a recognised infection? Whether or not you feel fit is immaterial to the hazard you pose to patients, surely? (speaking as someone who came very close to losing my career after contracting a staph infection in a leg wound in an orthopaedic trauma ward, which meant the best part of six months off as it was being sorted out.)

northshoreniall

I’m guessing it’s not an open leaking wound or he wouldn’t be suggesting returning yet and a closed infected surgical area poses minimal risk, so I cannot see any potential patient risk?
    As above, employer can make decisions want depending on own processes. Maybe a quick call to occ health for their guidance as likely has come up before elsewhere at work.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Sick note advice’ is closed to new replies.