Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)
  • Sick dog on last legs
  • littlemisspanda
    Free Member

It’s so hard but it’s the right thing for him not to suffer any more.
    I cried the other night on “Don’t Blame the Dog” when they had to put down a dog at the shelter – God knows what I’m going to be like when it gets to my boy’s time 🙁

coffeeking
    Free Member

I can’t help but find such a touching tribute quite depressing 🙁

oldnpastit

Thanks for all the comments; much appreciated.

Took him in this morning. Usually he jumps up in excitement at the chance for a trip in a car but this morning all he could manage was to lift up his head and then drop it back down again. Couldn’t even stand, and the infection had spread further.

Maybe we could have kept him going a few more days, but it would have been fairly miserable for him; just not how a dog is supposed to be. So took him to the vet, where he slipped quietly away.

Thankyou Prince, you may have been one of the most stupid, indolent, untrainable, short-sighted and downright disobedient greyhounds ever but you were also noble, gentle, soft-brown-eared, much loved and will be greatly missed.

donsimon
    Free Member

😥

higthepig
    Free Member

🙁

garage-dweller

Feel for you and your family. I have hated having to make those decisions for ours in the past.

Looked like a lovely dog.

nick3216
    Free Member

I’ll throw a stick to the stars for you tonight.

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

🙁

cynic-al
    Free Member

You’ve done the right thing and he’s in a better place.

anagallis_arvensis

Well done, sat on the sofa with my lurcher hoping I will have your strength when the time comes.

bullheart
    Free Member

Well done fella. It’s the hardest thing for sure.

I don’t know what I’ll do when the time comes to take my boy, but it’ll be soon I think. I don’t think I’d have survived cancer this long if he hadn’t been a part of my life.

LardLover
    Free Member

😥

You are doing the kindest thing you could ever do for your pet, you don’t want him to suffer.

Ask the vet to come out to your house, ours did for us last year, when we had to have both our dogs put to sleep, Molly 7yrs old (2 days after my birthday) – liver tumour and Oscar, 15yrs in November – he’d outlived his body. We were being selfish with Oscar, we couldn’t stand to lose him after unexpectantly losing Molly and I think we both agree now that we should have ‘helped’ Oscar a lot earlier than we did, I feel so bad at not being kinder to him and for being so selfish……………..

Very sad, I have to go now, I think I have something in my eyes..

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

🙁

sharkbait
    Free Member

Bless him, he’s fine now.
    This is worth posting again…. Still makes me cry two years after losing Morgan (I really hope it’s true):

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
    There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
    There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
    The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together….

Author unknown…

theotherjonv

Well done. I hope you sleep soundly tonight knowing you’ve done the kindest thing you can for a friend.

Here’s my letter from an old friend to a devoted 7 year old

Dear Polly.
    I know you will feel sad today. I know a lot of people will be sad because I made a lot of friends in my life. That’s OK, I hope you will remember me and talk about me with them.
    But I don’t want you be too sad. I want you to know that when it was time to go, Mummy stroked me gently and the kind Vet helped me so that I didn’t feel anything.
    Although I am not there any more, I thought you might like to know that I am in a very happy place. Where I am now it is always warm, but not too hot. I don’t feel old, or poorly, or hungry or tired. I feel just like I used to when we were first friends; I can run fast, and climb trees, or if I want to I can sit on soft grass and think about all my friends. I am allowed to sleep on the beds if I want, and I have chicken every day. If I close my eyes and imagine I can hear you and Elsa playing and laughing. And best of all – NO DOGS ALLOWED!
    Please tell Elsa that although I miss you both, I am very happy now. Thank you for being my friends and for letting me go when I needed to. That was very kind, even though it has made you feel sad. I will miss you.
    Love from
    Jasper xx

mrphil
    Free Member

Sorry for your loss, always bad losing a pet.

Main thing is his suffering is over.

We lost our Rhodisian Ridgeback last year in October due to organ failure, miss her like mad. She was an awsome dog, due to the loss and the heart ache the family had we took on a rescue dog, never bring our Lilly back but atleast we stopped a dog being put down.

sunnrider
    Free Member

OP well done for realising when to bring him to the vet.
    Its a horrible situation and one that I went through a few years ago aswell.

The great memories are what makes it all worthwhile.

Heres a puppy pic from more that 12 years ago of my little rottie:

stanfree
    Free Member

Well done for taking the brave step of ending your best pals suffering , their was a video posted on here of a guy putting his dog down. Sounds horrific and It was but ultimately compelling viewing as the dog had got his owner back on the straight and narrow with his undying love for his master. It truly was the saddest and most moving piece of film I’ve ever seen.

My dog is a large chocky lab and weighs almost 8 stone and is 7 years old , Im a 13 1/2 stone 40 year old and It seems weird that his lifespan is a 5th of mine ..

Kevevs
    Free Member

soz to hear about Prince m8 🙁 seen my tough old dad properly cut up about putting family dogs down in the past. One got put down cos it went mental and had a chew on me when I was 10 years old, got some nice scars. another got put down cos it developed nasty jaw cancer, another got put down cos it got knackered arthritic legs. Makes me sad thinking about ’em. theotherjonv – that’s very moving.

zippykona

Always a sad time but you did the right thing.
    Nothing fills the empty void though like a new puppy.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Sad for you and your family but it sounds like he was lucky enough to have been part of you family for many years.

Hope you come to terms with it, sad as it is and get another at some point. The dogs homes are full * of nice dogs needing a nice family home such as yours. * ( there’s probably some awful ones too mind)

Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Sick dog on last legs’ is closed to new replies.