• This topic has 2,850 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by NZCol.
Viewing 40 posts - 2,481 through 2,520 (of 2,851 total)
  • Sick as a dog so, show me you Bivi / Bikepacking / Adventure racing gear…..
  • yorlin
    Free Member

A manufacturing fault? 😯

Probably best I couldn’t find one, but bugger they looked dead useful :I I suppose those topeak big cages for big plastic bottles are a next-best. Oh well!

Hmm Charlie the Bike Monger seems to think there is going to be a 2014 version
    http://www.charliethebikemonger.com/new-2014-salsa-anything-cages-fargo-enabler-3762-p.asp
    “Charlie says… I anticipate that a new salsa anything cage will be coming along soon. Maybe late summer 2014? Almost no details are known” lovely and vague! 🙂

scotroutes

The Anything Cages have been redesigned and re-released.

I also notice that the newer Salsa/Surly forks have the mounts at the front rather than “hanging off” the rear.

yorlin
    Free Member

Oh you beat my edit!

luddite
    Free Member

Does no one use a Carradice SQR Tour or Kelly kettles?

yorlin
    Free Member

I’ve got an M-kettle that works on the same principle as a Kelly Kettle, and it works a treat for boiling water. That’s all you can do though!

scotroutes

Just scraped my September one-a-month. I really must try to be better organised this month.

http://www.blog.scotroutes.com/2013/10/new-horizons.html

flatfish
    Free Member

I’m up your neck on the woods if you fancy a night out for October.
    In Aviemore from 26th Oct-1st Nov.

scotroutes

Nice one. Let me know nearer the time and I can work out shifts etc

joshvegas
    Free Member

yorlin – Member
    I’ve got an M-kettle that works on the same principle as a Kelly Kettle, and it works a treat for boiling water. That’s all you can do though!

You can cook on them very easily, I have a little crosspiece that slots into the chimney fry off some onions and chorizo then add a tin of beans… that was my latest creation!

You could easily make one to fit the m kettle.

On foot its fine if you have the volume to carry it, its hardly lightweight though and it doesnt hold together so it rattle alot aero press fits in the chimney, coffee and cotton wool in the plunger of the aeropressthen the fire pan sit upside with the wee pot and ‘frying pan’inside that with food.

Its awkward on a bike though, hatching a scheme for a harness to keep it all together and strap it at the headtube end inside the triangle.

Has anyone got a solution for a harness for drop bars? Was thinking an old set of aero bars pointing down and dry bag strapped vertically to that type of plan.

scotroutes

Almost completely off-topic but I thought some of you might like a bit of a laugh anyway… this is my “trip-report” of walking the West Highland Way in 1993. What struck me most while typing it in to the blog was how much the path has been “improved” in the interim.

http://www.blog.scotroutes.com/p/walking-west-highland-way.html

yorlin
    Free Member

Joshvegas – it’s not too wobbly? I was going to get a titanium trivet and use the base to cook with once the water is ready… The water boils so quick is there time to cook on top? ❓ Oh mine came in a tight fitting red bag, it had a couple of D-rings for strapping it to stuff iirc.

Scotroutes – lovely gaiters 😀 I think I did the WHW a few years after you, I remember some of the path was knackered. Oh and my friend got food poisoning at the glenorchy hotel. 😳

joshvegas
    Free Member

The kelly kettle has a wider base I think in comparison the the height?

Its not hugely stable but its so blooming hot you have to stir it anyway, so… on hand on the trangia type hand and one hand stirring is plenty stable enough time wise 10 seconds over the heat and you can hear the chorizo sizzling so you get a good stab at it before the water boils. You could always get it started on the chimney then transfer the pot to the base after its boiled. Not used It a huge amount its been pretty successful so far. Toyed with taking a couple of lumps of charcoal next time and fire a couple of snags on the grill.

Actually the biggest flaw I think is probably its fuel, you are pretty scuppered if you can’t guarantee wood and dry wood at that! Toyed with taking some hexamine tabs as back up/starter.

Other disasters… over filling e kettle so when it boils it deposits admittedly very hot water but also ver ‘put fire outery’water in the fire pan.

Can you carry water in the m kettle?

joshvegas
    Free Member

Double post.

yorlin
    Free Member

Oh should be doable on a kelly-kettle! The M-kettle has a rubber cork… wouldn’t like to transport it on it’s side though…

joshvegas
    Free Member

Same.

Pluss the kelly has some rivets etc nog entirely confident there would be any water there by the time I tried to bre up!

richpips
    Free Member

Does no one use a Carradice SQR Tour

I’ve got one, it’s super stable but the drawback is it’s heavy.

Cheezpleez

Here’s my MYOG frame bag. Pretty happy for a first attempt. Now working on a seat bag and bar harness.
    All bits and pieces bought online from Pennine Outdoor.

Also just bought a MyTimug from Alpkit and a cheap Terra Nova tarp from Field and Trek.

Itching to get out there now…

DrP

Cheez…
    I’m in the process of making a frame bag too -I’ve got some fabric samples but not sure what to use.
    Could you link to the fabric you used please-i’m torn between ‘crisp rip stop nylon’, and a slightly heavier nylon fabric..

DrP

AndyPaice
    Free Member

stayhigh – Member
    As the mozzies have just started to take notice of me again, what are peoples thoughts on repellant sprays (currently use Jungle Spray)or those coil things that look like this? I’ve found a lovely spot on the edge of a lake but it obviously the mozzies like it too

last time we were in Peebles we got chatting to a guy in the pub at the bridge. He fished the rivers around Peebles so was stood in the worst midge spots all the time.

He said that oil of citronella was the only thing that worked well all the time for him.

Tiger6791

two thousand five hundred!

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

Looking at having a go at a bit of bikepacking , where do i source the large rear seat packs and frame bags seen on alot of the bikes ?

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Looking at having a go at a bit of bikepacking , where do i source the large rear seat packs and frame bags seen on alot of the bikes ?

Alpkit do custom ones, otherwise head to back country for some of Eric’s finest…

valleydaddy
    Free Member

try here too http://wildcatgear.co.uk/ Ian is a top bloke and his good lady who makes these makes a mean bacon butty 😀

Cheezpleez

DrP – I used 1000D pu coated stuff from Pennine Outdoors. Not the lightest but sturdy and should be hard wearing. Cheap too and good service. Here’s my newly completed seat bag, made from the same 1m piece of fabric, and there’s enough left for a bar harness.

rivingtonbt
    Free Member

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=540645459303885&set=a.539878356047262.1073741828.515005215201243&type=1&theater

My baby:

Genesis Fortitude Adventure
    Wildcat Handlebar Harness
    Bikebag framebag
    Carradice Barley Saddlebag
    Spa Cycles Nidd Saddle
    Snugpak Tactical 2 sleeping bag
    Klymit inertia sleeping pad
    Alpkit hunka bivi
    4 cans of strongbow
    Smiles

Cheezpleez

Looking good, rivingtonbt

rivingtonbt
    Free Member

Cheers Cheez!

jameso

4 cans of strongbow

: )

Best bit of kit I bought for late summer rides was a tiny packable rucsac, intended for TDR-style garage-raids but turned out to be ideal for safe storage of a couple of tinnies for hobo-living in cornfields.

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

@ Cheezpleez …. that looks like a cracking job on both frame and seat pack …. time to get some stuff ordered and let the mrs loose on her sewing machine :)..
    Did you use any special type of thread ??

yorlin
    Free Member

While this is back to life – do many people use rucsacs/camelbak Mules etc for bike-packing? Or do I want to have no weight at all on me back?

scotroutes

I prefer to have no weight but I’ve been happy to compromise on occasion – usually to carry some water. These frame bags tend to rule out the normal bottle cages.

composite
    Free Member

yorlin – Member

While this is back to life – do many people use rucsacs/camelbak Mules etc for bike-packing? Or do I want to have no weight at all on me back?
    Some of the frame bags have custom options to have a port for the bladder pipe. I have still always carried my water on my back though. Part depends on conditions and how available fresh water is.

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

Have just ordered fabric samples (stop laughing !) , to give this a go … the wife seems quite keen on making a frame and seat pack for for me 😀

NZCol

Just a heads up if anyone happens to be in NZ in January AND wants a bit of a ride there is an informal 1100km brevet going on from Tekapo to Tekapo taking in some of the south islands finest trails and scenery. Lots of adventurous sleeping locations on that one.

I’ll post my setup once i get some snaps – i just ran it through the Heaphy and back and all worked well. The aerobars may not be a popular choice but on long rides they can be a godsend !!

craig5

Dose any body run a bike packing setup that’s more refined for very tech riding as opposed to mile munching. ie, long travel FS with a reverb. I can get a RAB bivvy on my top tube, 3/4 thermarest inside my frame (specialized pitch) and then hope to fit the rest on my bars and in a pack. I’m looking for a wing nut adventure pack, a light down bag and jacket. A few other bits and bobs ( brew kit, lights etc) to get started. Running a sadle bag doesn’t seem to be an option. Advice would be appreciated

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

I can get a RAB bivvy on my top tube, 3/4 thermarest inside my frame (specialized pitch) and then hope to fit the rest on my bars and in a pack. I’m looking for a wing nut adventure pack, a light down bag and jacket. A few other bits and bobs ( brew kit, lights etc) to get started. Running a sadle bag doesn’t seem to be an option. Advice would be appreciated

The kit you’ve listed doesn’t sound disimilar to what the majority of folk are carrying regardless of where they’re riding.

When you say, techy stuff what exactly do you mean? The idea is that you pack in such a way as not to compromise your bikes handling, so you can ride whatever you come across. There’s usually plenty of technical sections on most rides.

If the Reverb’s stopping you using a rear bag then, big/bulky stuff on the bars (sleeping bag, jacket, etc). Bivvy bag and mat on / in frame and everything else in (the smallest) bag … it’s surprising how much you can fit in a wingnut Hyper 2.5.

rivingtonbt
    Free Member

Yorlin – re backpacks etc I think they work fine provided you are travelling light on a short trip, in fact I think it can be an advantage if you have lots of hike-a-bike to do as it is v difficult to carry a laden bike over say Blacksail pass in the lakes. My main objection is getting a sweaty back when carrying anything. If you are doing a multi day trip without access to a shower or a change of clothes it’s nice to let the bike carry as much as poss.

Craig5 – I have done a bit on a full suss but found the added weight meant I had to firm the forks and rear shock up considerably which meant it wasn’t as fun as I thought. I also had a rear shock blow a seal out through the Schrader valve so I have decided to stick to rigid – trust me it’s not that bad 😉

Cheezpleez

Thanks stummpym4, it’s not the neatest job but I think it’ll do. I just used ordinary polyester thread in the end and double-sewed all the seams. I tried using v thick, strong stuff but it just jammed the machine.

A lighter material than the 1000D stuff I used would probably be easier to work with and lighter, but obviously a bit less durable.

Viewing 40 posts - 2,481 through 2,520 (of 2,851 total)

The topic ‘Sick as a dog so, show me you Bivi / Bikepacking / Adventure racing gear…..’ is closed to new replies.