• This topic has 14 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by eddd.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Shroppie Hills MTB – local knowledge, please 🙏🏻
  • phil258
    Free Member

Evening folks – heading to the Shroppie Hills. We live just over an hour away yet know absolutely nothing about the area. No, really – nothing. Whatsoever.

So, please enlighten me… (we’ll probs. be arriving via the A49).

Where should we head to first/start off? Is there a ‘trail head’ / centre, as such? Where to park? Forestry Commission? Best trails (waymarked, ideally)? Best singletrack. Best view. Cafe. etc. etc.

Collective experience and wisdom, as always, gratefully received. TIA 🙌🏻🙏🏻

kayak23

Hopton woods, Bucknell, Bringwood, Eastridge, The Wrekin, Long Mynd, Stiperstones.

Shropshire is dope 👌

Rik
    Free Member

It’s not hard you are going to a new area do a bit of your own research before asking on a forum with no clue

Just lazy

Mounty_73

Loads of riding on the Mynd, a good map here; https://nt.global.ssl.fastly.net/carding-mill-valley-and-the-shropshire-hills/documents/mountain-bike-map-for-the-long-mynd.pdf

Some long, fast descents, some big climbs too. Minton Batch is def worth a ride, the rest you can figure out as you go….

My fav coffee shops; Church Stretton; Jemima’s Kitchen http://www.victoriahouse-shropshire.co.uk/about

Berry’s Coffee Shop; https://www.berryscoffeehouse.co.uk/

trailwagger
    Free Member

It’s not hard you are going to a new area do a bit of your own research before asking on a forum with no clue

Just lazy

Harsh !

jhinwxm
    Free Member

“Shroppie”? WTF? Just type Shropshire FFS. I don’t think any post has ever annoyed me more.

docrobster
    Free Member

Surely it’s salop?

kayak23

I don’t think any post has ever annoyed me more.

Are you new here?

Just lazy

Agree with that when talking about cheeky ‘off-piste’, but the places I mentioned either have official trails or are part of bridleways.

Hopton trail centre is great. Really good fun.
    Bringewood and Bucknell both have downhill tracks built by Pearce Cycles (who are a good place to ask)
    The Long Mynd has a mtb map.

But yeah, asking for and publishing unofficial and sensitive trails is not good.

mrhoppy

What are you wanting to do? Shropshire hills covers a large area, some is linked but by no means all and riding from xc bimbling to proper DH. Are you heading from the South or the North, part day ride, full day ride, weekend away?

Kayak23 flagged the main areas.

gingerbllr
    Free Member

Natural/XC:
    Stiperstones (combine with Eastridge)
    Long mynd (waymarked)

Waymarked/TC:
    Eastridge
    Hopton

Enduro/DH (Not waymarked):
    Mortimer
    Shelve (tiny area)
    Bucknell
    Bringewood
    The Wrekin (avoid if it’s busy with walkers)

Shop: Pearce cycles
    Eat: pub by the bridge in ludlow
    Drink: Ludlow brewery

cakefacesmallblock

My fiancé has always considered herself a Shropshire girl, not a Salopian but never a Shroppie person.
    Unless you are booking an uplift with Pearce cycles, don’t leave your best climbing legs at home. It you want a nice xc loop google Hope Bowdler maybe. If you’d like to mix steepish xc / trails try Eastridge/ Stiperstones.

Speshpaul

Salop…. the Shire…. R.
    But ya canna call it shropie mon.

Inner any gud riding ere mon. Best try cannock.

RoterStern
    Free Member

Shroppie? I quite like it. Better than being called a bastard in French! I’m a Shroppie lad born and bred!

scruff
    Free Member

I remember writing my Nan a letter and putting Salop on the address (Gobowen if your wondering, used to have a trip out to Stans if we were lucky)

eddd
    Free Member

I like the Eastridge woods/Stiperstones combo. Easteidge is like a signposted mini trail centre in the woods, then the Stiperstones are within cycling distance and are open and give great views.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Shroppie Hills MTB – local knowledge, please 🙏🏻’ is closed to new replies.