Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Showing Off
  • BigDummy
    Free Member

Friday night, and our firm's annual 5-a-side football tournament. My department is lousy at football and we have to fight doggedly to avoid humiliating defeat on the one occasion in the year when most of us play.

The long-limbed, freckled beauty who is my current muse is on the sidelines, and obviously playing my guts out is the only possible option. We lose 5, draw 1 and by the time I get home my legs are already stiffening up so badly that I can't really climb stairs.

Saturday morning I'm on the train to the Peaks for a 2 day ride with Handsomedog. Really, really hurting. Grovelling up the hills and jelly-legged coming down them. Then, on the last descent of the weekend, things are improving. Doctor's Gate, coming down out of the wind with that glorious long valley stretching away and I'm going better than I have for ages. Much of the way down we meet two cheerful blokes who are exploring up the valley on bikes borrowed from the 1980s. They ask whether it gets worse as they go up, and we tell them they've quite likely got a 2-mile carry. They tell us we'll have to carry down to the footbridge. I ride down to the footbridge in fine style feeling like a hero.

There is never, ever, anyone I want to impress watching when I show off successfully, and there is always someone watching when your best is not good enough to avoid total humiliation. 😀

Is this just an instance of Sod's Law, or is it covered by some more specific Law?

samuri
    Free Member

It's a lesson sent specifically from god about football being a bad thing to get involved in, ever.

BigDummy
    Free Member

It is certainly one I am taking to heart.. 🙂

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Showing Off’ is closed to new replies.