Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Shower Tray – Upstands or not?
  • jlc
    Free Member

Just need to order a shower tray, 900mm x 800mm and will be installed by the plumber with a merlyn series 6 bifold shower door.
    Was going to order s mira flight or merlyn shower tray. Is it better to order one with 4 upstands or not? Cannot contact the plumber at the moment and was hoping to order it.

nickjb
    Free Member

Depends where your plumbing is going. Ideally you put the tray on the floor and a low profile trap under the floor. If you need a bit of extra height or you have solid floors then you might need to lift the tray up.

jlc
    Free Member

Sorry for confusion I mean upstands on the edge of the shower tray which are meant to stop leaks rather than risers.

matt_outandabout

I personally would go for upstands. It seems sensible to have another line of defence to water getting out.

damascus
    Free Member

I’ve just replaced my broken shower tray. Removed the old one which had Upstands.

Tried all the local shops who didn’t have any, they said no you don’t need them but one bloke eventually admitted that they are hard to come by due to covid and Brexit and they are harder to make.

Ordered one from plumbworld. Absolutely great service and a great shower tray. Highly recommend. As above, it’s an extra layer of defence against water so why not?

https://www.plumbworld.co.uk/coram-coratech-easy-plumb-square-shower-tray-760x760mm-3-upstands-yd763whi-101402-4164?utm_source=klaviyo&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Order%20Confirmation%20Email%20%5BStandard%5D&utm_content=&_kx=vF44P883dfJ8Z0lsnUJqgVvWdW8Gu-FMtbQeBGstaNL_6KVYdalOsENxyRnzosYO.XfAZcL

oldnick

Speaking as a handyman who has to go and solve problems once the trades have washed their hands of it, always have as many lines of defence as possible.

And yes this week I have been chipping blown plaster off a customer’s lounge wall after a low profile shower tray had contributed to a leak.

dudeofdoom

lounge wall after a low profile shower tray had contributed to a leak.

Yep I find the low profile one I have aspires to be a shower tray on a good day it’s fine a bad day it’s a flooded bathroom.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.