Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Shower plumbing question – Plumbing experts to the forum please.
  • beamers

Afternoon all.

Does such a shower exist which during the summer months creates hot water internally (i.e. an electric shower) and then during the winter uses hot water from the house hot water tank rather than using electricity?

Is such a thing possible or just plain madness?

Ta in advance.

rickk

Can’t really see the benefit (I do see what you are trying to do but savings will be absolutely marginal) and I’m pretty sure no one is going to be marketing this..

beamers

We have a solid fuel rayburn which is on all of the time during the winter and produces constant hot water.

During the summer it is too hot to have the rayburn on and the only thing that we would really need hot water for is for the shower, hence the need for an electric shower. In the winter time it would be a waste of electricity though.

Pretty niche requirement I know.

cbike
    Free Member

Install 2 showers?

globalti
    Free Member

Fit a simple DIY 20 evacuated tube solar collector on your roof and enjoy hot solar water all summer? Cost would be about £700-800.

Here’s how I did it: http://www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1845563#1845563

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Does your Rayburn have a storage cylinder anywhere, I’d imagine if would. Could you not retrofit or install an electric Emersion heater? How do you get hot water in the summer normally?

beamers

We do have an immersion heater but wouldn’t it be a bit expensive to run?

globalti
    Free Member

So rig the storage cylinder up to a collector and use the immersion to supplement the collector on cloudy days. You can even retrofit a coiled 10mm pipe inside the cylinder alongside the immersion. The solar collector works best if you’ve got a modern quick heating cylinder with a good debit from the coil and plenty of capacity – about 160 litres would be fine for three or four showers a day.

wwaswas

You can get remote instant water heaters for showers. Just use a thermostatic shower and plumb the water heater in so you can by pass tank feed and use that when you want to.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

In laws have an electric shower over the bath and mixer taps as well so have the choice of an electric shower or one via the hot water.

PePPeR

I have similar I use an electric shower in the summer and have a thermostatic shower for the winter.

Difficult to fit but the thermostatic shower taps are small compared to the electric shower box.

beamers

Cheers all.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Shower plumbing question – Plumbing experts to the forum please.’ is closed to new replies.