Viewing 39 posts - 81 through 119 (of 119 total)
  • Show us your vintage audio equipment
  • Markie
    Free Member

The sofa does somewhat take away from the speakers. Some see this as a positive.

Space-heateresque ELS 57 seen here in a much plainer location. Hadn’t photographed before because it’s not yet hooked up to its amp. Or where it should be.

Els 53

CountZero

Blimey, been a while since I last saw a Quad ELS57!

slowoldman

I’d forgotten they had a water valve at the side.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    whatgoesup

Keeping the Quad theme going..

1979 Quad 405 – my Dads, (bought when I was 3) – stripped down and serviced & upgraded by me a couple of years ago

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2fmZZJi]IMG_3857[/url] by markwsf, on Flickr

Snell E/ii speakers – 1984 (ish) – bought via the hifi equivalent of STW a couple of years ago

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2fhjkyo]IMG_3859[/url] by markwsf, on Flickr
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/2fmZZDt]IMG_3858[/url] by markwsf, on Flickr

All that old-skoolness balanced by being fed by a Rasperry pi with an IQAudio PI_DAC+ DAC and running Volumio2.

The end result – I’ve yet to hear a hifi system that I prefer the sound of* – and yet it’s all controllable via remote computer / iphone, does spotify connect streaming so in theory is voice controllable by alexa etc.

* – partly/mostly because once I got to a point I was happy I stopped looking / listening to other stuff and just enjoy what I’ve got.

CountZero

I’d forgotten they had a water valve at the side.

Steam powered.

derek_starship
    Free Member

I’ve just added this to my modest collection:

It’s been further modified beyond the remit of the Ishawata’s spec’.
    It’s 23 years old and sounds fantastic.

jambourgie
    Free Member

All my audio gear is ‘vintage’ 😂

These are the nearest, found in the street on the way home from a crazy weekend. It was the icing on a delicious cake.

Know nothing about them but they sound good and look cool.

derek_starship
    Free Member

You forgot to add pic’s.

jambourgie
    Free Member

Dammit!

derek_starship
    Free Member

Here you go jammy:

Nice.

I assume you got laid that weekend?

Futureboy77

Marantz CD6000OSE CD player and PM6010OSE amp here with Tannoy 605 speakers.
    Not sure if that’s considered vintage, but it’s been with me most of my adult life!

Before those, it was Arcam Alpha and Nad something or other.

kneed

I’ve owned a few of these over the years:

https://www.whathifi.com/features/best-19-stereo-amplifiers-what-hi-fis-lifetime

Still kept this one – in daily use

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Green

avdave2

A CD player can be classed as vintage! Dear god where have the years gone 😊

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

https://assets.catawiki.nl/assets/2017/10/10/1/4/6/14602eac-41eb-48a5-bc1d-42ce4130c5fe.jpg

stevemorg2

my Rega planar 3 and Linnaeus Klassik combination driving some B&W speakers has got to be 25 years old now – sounds great though and no plans to change anything!
    Not sure what to do with an Aiwa 470 cassette deck I still have – I assume there’s no value in them?

derek_starship
    Free Member

B+O really did aesthetics.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Just got a Marantz 2238b which pairs real nice with my Cerwin Vega U-12.

Even though the amp is *only* 38w pc, the speakers are easy to drive and the set sounds frickin amazing.

derek_starship
    Free Member

That is one fine looking tuner/amp. Love the blue backlighting on the meters and tuning panel and that tuning wheel is ace.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

I’ve actually got my laptop connected to a DAC feeding the aux. It’s bloomin lovely.

whatgoesup

Nice gear !

bridges
    Free Member

B+O really did aesthetics.

I have an old Beomaster 3500 ‘receiver’. Still working perfectly. Gives a very good sound in a smaller room. Run it through some old Castle Richmonds. All bought for relative peanuts. In terms of actual sound quality, I’ve not heard much that can match that set-up, that hasn’t cost many thousands.

B+O

bridges
    Free Member

Speaking of Quad, does anyone know of a modular system that had a back unit the different modules slotted onto? I don’t know if it provided power, or if it was just a rack system. Looked cool on display in Harrods, in around 1982-3ish.

derek_starship
    Free Member

@bridges

The QUADRack?

bridges
    Free Member

Ah yes, exactly that. Seems it was a simple painted/veneered MDF rack, that the separate components bolted onto, rather than anything more exciting. Quite disappointed now. 🙁

kayla1
    Free Member

I’ve got a 1995 Cambridge Audio A1 amp that I use in my home made arcade/game cabinet-

OG Sega Rally and Outrun 2 are awesome through it 😎 It’s brill and only cost me £15 a couple of months ago. I love old separates.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Ive had a Teac Reference 300 system with B&W 202 speakers since 1998.

No pictures, sorry. I barely listen to it now.

Superficial
    Free Member

Here’s my 1980-ish Optonica SM-7100

OMG major childhood throwback there. My Dad had exactly that amp, gloriously tactile switches IIRC. Love it. I wonder where it is now…

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

1) 1971. 120 watts. 4xEL34s. Gigantic transformers. Bench tested at 200W at full chat.

2) WWII air raid siren found in a field. Savagely loud. Last used for Clap for NHS and to prove a point to a sub-standard bagpiping busker who until quite recently set up outside my house at lunchtimes.

temudgin

x-a2

Been enjoying the X-A2 from new in 1998.
    The MA silver RS6 were a more recent addition in 2006.
    Sounds great

reggiegasket
    Free Member

The Musical Fidelity stuff is a great choice for vintage gear, as the warm, rich sound never tires. A long time ago I had a B200 integrated (class A) which was lovely, and ran really hot.

aberdeenlune
    Free Member

Mine needs a dust too. Need to stop using the Sonos and use the good stuff. The ubiquitous Linn LP12 turntable a LinnGenki CD player and my trusty old Audiolab 8000A amp. [url=https://flic.kr/p/2mGA1tG]4DFCDE2C-9363-426E-B3BE-746625B64597[/url] by Aberdeen_lune, on Flickr" alt="LP12" />

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2mGyS5C]F40A2ED4-0888-46D6-82A8-01552121FBF3[/url] by Aberdeen_lune, on Flickr" alt="Amp" />

Can’t believe the price of a new LP12 now. Starting from £21,750 😂

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Rotel RSP-960AX Preamp
    2x Rotel RB-985 Mono Power Amps
    Rotel RDD-965BX Discrete CD
    Kef Reference 104.2

Picked up the Rotel kit for £50 off a guy who’d just moved in with his girlriend and she’d said, “There’s no way you’re having that in the house.”

His dad had owned it from new. The amps had been modified professionally to run mono and the whole system had custom interconnects and speaker cables.

Was fitting a TV for a guy and saw some speakers under a sheet in his garage and he told me I could take ’em away. Hence the 104.2s.

Interestingly, I bought the Target Rack at a local scout troop sale for £15. On it was a nondescript looking Kenwood Amp and CD player. The bloke asked if I’d take them away with the rack as they were unsold. Turned out they were a DA-9010 DAC Amp and a DP-X9010 CD Transport which were a good combo in their day and the transport is still highly sought after today.

The Project Debut Turntable is a later addition so doesn’t count. The Rotel Preamp didn’t actually have a phono stage so had to add one.

rotel

kef

vmgscot

Just passed this on to my son…

derek_starship
    Free Member

@namastebuzz – why is there orange smoke coming out of the speaker in your last pic? ;O)

@vmgscot
    – what make is this power amp?

namastebuzz
    Free Member

why is there orange smoke coming out of the speaker in your last pic?

Geez! I hadn’t noticed. The house must be on fire! 🔥

vmgscot

@derek_starship its a Crimson Elektrik amp (later Crimson Products) built back in the late 70’s. It came as as a kit in the early days and we had some at work and I built one for myself.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

rug

Actually, it’s a Persian rug. 😁

bridges
    Free Member

Picked up the Rotel kit for £50 off a guy who’d just moved in with his girlriend and she’d said, “There’s no way you’re having that in the house.”

Oof. That is some sacrifice. The things people do for love. And you’ve had an incredible result.

my trusty old Audiolab 8000A amp.

Classic. Probably the best ‘budget’ ‘proper hi-fi’ amp you can get. Got one here sitting idle at the moment; need to find some better speakers for it. A friend has some Focal Arias he never uses, so I’m waiting like a vulture should he (hopefully) want to move them on…

Viewing 39 posts - 81 through 119 (of 119 total)

The topic ‘Show us your vintage audio equipment’ is closed to new replies.