Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Show me your XC Rig (Hardtail) 2017 onwards……
  • benmotogp46
    Free Member

It’s time to decide on a new bike. I’m currently running a 2013 Cotic Soul on 26 wheels and need to decide between a 27.5 or 29er.

I’m considering either a Kinesis Sync, Spesh Epic (Carbon 29) or some other steel frame by a British manufacturer.

Most of my riding is along the South Downs Way. My main concern is if I were to go for a carbon frame, is this likely to be vulnerable to the flinty terrain of the South Downs? I have visions of a big hole appearing in the down tube at some point with a great deal of money wasted……

Budget somewhere between £2,500-3000 and likely to be a self-build.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

kind regards,

Ben

benmotogp46
    Free Member

*Or what are you running / any advice appreciated

dumbbot
    Free Member

Stanton Sherpa Ti?

benmotogp46
    Free Member

Sherpa is a contender for the Sync. Time to arrange some test rides….

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Travers Russ Ti,brilliant frame.

You would not be disappointed.

Thanks,

Max

benmotogp46
    Free Member

Looks great, Max. Nice build!

a very tempting option indeed….

Inbred456
    Free Member

If it’s XC go for a 29er. I’ve never found much difference between a 26” vs 27.5”. My 29er is faster and  more comfortable. If I was a trail centre addict and I only had one bike It would be a full sus 27.5 but I like long days out in the countryside so the  29er Hardtail gets used most of the time.

scaredypants

dude; flying bits of flint aren’t going to make holes in your rig’s frame

what else is in your quiver? – might help us to keep it all balanced up.  maybe you want to swap out wheelsets with your sled for in-between days ?

benmotogp46
    Free Member

I plan on this next bike lasting at least 10 years with regular use.

My only concern was the longevity of the structural integrity of carbon over this time.

I know it depends on a number of factors of how a frame might fatigue so was just interested to see what people tend to go for. The build would be fairly standard, most probably with a 120 fork and Alu rims.

I’m currently doing 650 – 700 miles a year split across road / XC but hoping this will increase to 1000+ as from September as the kids will all finally be in school. 🙌

Ben_H

I was looking for a new MTB (ideally self-build) earlier this spring and ended-up with a Genesis Mantle:

I was previously riding a Transition Scout, although admittedly I have a preference for hardtails.  It’s early days and I’ve only ridden familiar trails so far, but Strava tells me that I’m quicker on pretty much every measure – and, most importantly, it’s heaps of fun.

I was going to fit a dropper post, but haven’t felt the need so far apart from on my local pump track!  In the end, it was competitive cost-wise to sell my old bike in bits and buy this factory build.

I imagined I’d have gone with a steel hardtail with low / slack geometry, bigger forks and wider bars – but I think this bike is better suited to me.  The geo is somewhere between the more up-to-date XC bikes like Cannondale / Trek etc and something like a Solaris.

velocipede
    Free Member

If I wasn’t so fully “biked up” at the moment, that ^ Genesis would be on my credit card!

steve_b77
    Free Member

I’ve got this, it’s a KTM Myroon Elite and bang in the middle of your budget (for the 2018) model. I’m really impressed by it, having been on a FS XC 29er fro the two years previous.

It’s nice an light (10.4kg as pictured including pedals and cages) and has a good spec, XT/SLX mix, Fox 32 Step Cast forks, tubeless wheels (Mavic 421XC rims on SLX hubs) & tyres. I’ve got a nice set of wheels (DTXR1501’s) to go on when the cassette eventually turns up and i get round to mounting the tyres, those alone should drop about 300g from the bike, maybe more.

sirromj

My Bird Zero TR self build:130mm Yaris, the frame is quite a good weight, but weight wasn’t primary concern, wanted it to handle some rough stuff, and budget was a chunk below your minimum.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Show me your XC Rig (Hardtail) 2017 onwards……’ is closed to new replies.