Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Show me your winter training hack bikes (road)
  • webwonkmtber
    Free Member

On such a warm day I’m thinking of winter club runs and getting a bike for them… What have you got? What do you recommend? Any bargains out there that you’ve spotted?

I’m thinking full mudguards rather than Raceblades or the like….

scaled
    Free Member

Kinesis 5T disc, second hand off here. Done bloody thousands of miles on it already, on and off road 😀

joebristol

I ride one bike all year round as I’m more mtb than road.

I’d think whatever you get should have mountings for full front and rear mudguards and would ideally have disc brakes.

My Caad12 fails on the mudguard mountings in a big way, so not one of those. I think some of the Ribble frames would do a good job for not too much money.

webwonkmtber
    Free Member

That Kinesis is the business. And yes, discs seem like a good plan…

fasthaggis

A PX London Road like the one in the photo.

It’s a heavy old thing with all the muddies and winter crap on it,but a good commuter /trainer…… and it makes my summer bike feel like I hardly have to pedal.

london road

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

😎

13thfloormonk

Charge Plug singlespeed, now upgraded with fancy anodised blue CX 8.4 mini-vs, lighter with Ti hardware for extra winterproofing/pimp.

Just wish it had gears and it would be the perfect winter bike, the brakes frankly embarrass my disc brake bike which is just squeely and annoying in the wet, I’ve still to find a solution for squeely disc brakes in cold and wet conditions and the extra power over a set of mini-vs with good pads is pretty negligible.

Still eyeing up a cheap Ti seatpost on eBay, just for the look if nothing else…

spacemonkey

Whyte Friston.  Tremendously capable in all conditions on all terrain

crimsondynamo
    Free Member

The discs on my winter road bike used to get so contaminated with road grime, and I rarely if ever would put enough heat into them to burn them clean. The result was that they screeched like a banshee.

Went back to rim brakes and a quiet peaceful ride.

fudge9202
    Free Member

Well now that I’m not selling this, it will be my do it all bike through the summer and winter.

scud
    Free Member

My trusty Peregrine, lot of the rural roads round here in winter are caked in mud from beet harvest and full of potholes, so tend to ride this all winter on road and bridleways:

roper
    Free Member

This this is my everyday bike. Anywhere and everywhere.

lunge

PX Kaffenback. It’s heavy, dull and not much fun to ride. It is however very versatile, does the job I want it to very well and I don’t mind locking it up in the city.

cheers_drive

Kinesis T2, can take guards and 30c tyres. I’m selling mine if you need an XL.

2018-07-10_10-52-23 by [/url] – Flickr2BBcode LITE

andrewh
    Free Member

Can’t find a pic but Ridgeback Advance 7

Di2 Alfine, Ultegra discs, Hope front wheel, full guards and rack.

Reliable but frame is very heavy, carbon forks seems to make next to no difference, it is just heavy.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Show me your winter training hack bikes (road)’ is closed to new replies.