Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Show Me Your Thomson Setback Seatposts Please
  • DanW
    Free Member

Hi all,

I am looking for a solid seatpost with 15mm+ setback. The Thomson comes up as a good option but I just can’t make up my mind if I like the look of the kinked tube.

So… can anyone help out with my moment of vanity and show me what the layback posts look like built up? Do you like them?

Many thanks in advance, DanW

M6TTF
    Free Member

Ahh the old I’ve bought a frame too small post – they’re bomb proof, mate had one on his orange 5. Bit fugly IMO though

ltheisinger
    Free Member

Mine with the Thomson layback on it….

DenDennis
    Free Member

bear in mind that a few of the other non-kinked posts have as much if not more than the Thomson setback because the clamping bracket position is not in line with the post….

cynic-al
    Free Member

I really like the look of them if that matters.

clubber
    Free Member

DanW
    Free Member

Hardly a too small frame M6TTF. The Thomson post I would be looking at buying is the 16mm setback version, so it is more a case of getting the seatpost clamp as centralised in the saddle rails as possible as Selle Italia SLR’s have a habit of getting a bit creaky as you go even slightly off-centre of the rail clamp section.

Thanks for the pictures ltheisinger and clubber- it really doesn’t look as odd as I thought it would…

clubber
    Free Member

you get used to it.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

As above, setback is actually less than a usual seatpost.

Looks are subjective, only practical downside that might be worth considering is that you can’t slam the seat right down if you need to drop it fully.

CheesybeanZ

any excuse 🙂

carlos
    Free Member

http://

JohnnyPanic

kelvin

I wince every time I see one of those seatposts on a Soul. They make perfect practical sense, apart from the seat dropping, and the clamps work really really well, the best out there, but… well, but…

Looks okay on a bike that has bent tubes already though.

JohnnyPanic

They make perfect practical sense

Yes indeed they do 🙂
    And with regard to the seat dropping, well
    (1) It’s set up for xc
    (2) I can actually drop it quite far. I’m never going to be using it for dirt jumping. 😀

(sorry for making you wince)

DanW
    Free Member

I think the Cotic looks more ungainly because of the saddle rather than the seatpost. Regardless, if it works then who cares 🙂

I am liking the look of the Thomson on the two Santa Cruz’s- I think I agree with Kelvin on the point of them suiting the bendy top tube bikes.

Holyzeus
    Free Member

Klunk
    Free Member

my wifes stumpy

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Klunk – Member
    my wifes stumpy

That’s a bit harsh.. 🙂

Klunk
    Free Member

harsh but fair

palmer77
    Free Member

I’m a fan 🙂 Grass is patchy tho…

[/url] IMG_0314 by sastrugi1977, on Flickr[/img]

parkesie
    Free Member

Wonky post

soulboy
    Free Member

My favourite seatpost. Here’s three!

GavinB

@Holyzeus – please tell me that frame is the right size and you just prefer running a layback post with the saddle right at the front of the rails with a ginormous stem?

soulboy
    Free Member

superfli
    Free Member

DanW
    Free Member

I decided to go for it in the end and am very glad I did. Thank you to everyone for the pictures!

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Road pedals?

DanW
    Free Member

It’s the only way I can set the cleats to be comfortable for my knee (control of the rotational position and also lowering the Q-factor slightly). They have served me well so far

trail_rat
    Free Member

i feel a t-shirt coming on …..

lowering seatposts is for poofs ……

looks good on that santa cruz.

mines on a thorn raven enduro that is too small for me …. the seat posts the only good thing about that bike ….

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Show Me Your Thomson Setback Seatposts Please’ is closed to new replies.