Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Show me your tandems! anyone running a complete right side drive?
  • Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Almost got all the parts together for my tandem.

Anyone else running a complete right side drive?
    As I have 2 LX chainsets I like the idea of this.

Front Chainset with a 32t ring,
    Rear Chainset with 22t inner, 36t middle and 32t outer,

Have I missed anything that would cause problems with that setup?

emmodd
    Free Member

Erm, aren’t the 2 chains going to clash with one another potentially?

nbt

I’ve been considering this but as emmodd suggests, I’m concerned about chain interference on the stoker cranks, i.e. the timing chain rubbing against the drive chain. Be interested to see if you get it working. I was considering 22/36/36/bash on mine though

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

I thought about chain interference, but by running the smaller rings than middle that should keep the timing chain out of the way of the drive chain and also the front mech moving across.

When the bb’s turn up i’ll be able to test it for real, makes life a lot easier than a “proper” chainset

singlespeedstu

110813_132922 by singlespeedstu, on Flickr

I’ve thought about converting to a right side drivetrain too.
    There’s a bit of info on the MTBR Tandem Forum from a few people that have tried it.
    seems to be a bit hit and miss.
    If you’ve got all the bit’s give it a shot and see what happens.
    You might need to space the timing rings out a bit to stop any chain rub problems from what i remember reading about it.

Bez

Mine’s all on the right, but it’s a little easier with a Rohloff 😉

No chain interference anyway. 36t on the timing chain and 46t driving the hub, 8sp chains IIRC.

STATO
    Free Member

Main problem would be 32t ring fitting in the outer position wouldnt it? I know some shimano cranks wont allow middle rings in outer without a bit of filing but a 32 might also be to small so could hit the crank arm before it actually gets on (would be different on each model type so suppose some might be ok).

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Show me your tandems! anyone running a complete right side drive?’ is closed to new replies.