Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)
  • Show me…. your Shed and clever storage options
  • jazid
    Free Member

I’m in the process of getting a new shed having just laid a concrete base to fit a 6’x10′.
    Having seen the photos in the post (http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/what-size-shed) I was wondering what clever and organised systems other people have for storing their bikes and bits?

seth-enslow666
    Free Member

Well I’m just thinking of building something new. I think I will go with 10×10 if I can. or maybe 10×9. I have a 8×6 which is not bad but not great to work on a bike. I have a brick built outhouse workshop around 9×5 which is joined onto the house for mending the bikes and storing expensive things as its belled up and as ground anchor and chain to strap the bike up. This as plenty of shelves and a good vice and work bench. The vice and work bench are worth there weight in gold! I just tend to stick garden stuff in the shed and use the brick built one for bikes. It works ok for me.

The price of wooden sheds are very expensive these days. I looked into a concrete panel shed, store around the above sizes and it’s going to be around a grand fitted and I will have to lay a base my self. I think thats too expensive to be honest. I would rather do that though than pay 600 quid for a wooden one.

I think I will end up buying an old garage that someone wants rid of cheaply and making one from the concrete panels to around 10×10. Or building one out of concrete blocks and making it how I want it. It will still come in a lot cheaper. I’m not sure on planning regs for block though as is it not classed as a proper buidling then? not a shed? Something I need to look into!

jazid
    Free Member

I have a small garden, so 6×10 is pushing it and it needs to authorised by the financial controller, but I can’t believe how much T&G wooden sheds cost these days either.

I’m thinking about the best orientation for storage or 4 or 5 bikes

or the traditional Apex shed with door at the end, e.g.

I was most impressed with the simple vertical storage solution using bungie ropes (especially in his 6’x4′ shed) which makes me think I could stick a work bench in there and mount the bikes at the end of the shed as this chap did. I always you had to buy expensive
    vertical wall bike mounts.

coffeeking
    Free Member

seth-enslow666
    Free Member

That shed in the above pic jazid is the exact one I have with the apex roof! I have swapped the windows for inch thick ply wood though. Mainly due to me paying ten quid for the shed and the windows were broken! But makes it a bit more secure. Its good actually as I can’t stand up in any shed I ever go in at 6.3- 6.4 in shoes. In that shed though I can easily stand without banging my head! even at the side where it is a little lower.

Better of paying more if you can afford it and getting the best quality you can, There is a big difference in shed quality these days.

flow
    Free Member

Fark keeping your bike in a shed!

dirtyrider
    Free Member

wouldnt even keep my bikes in a shed if the shed was erected in the spare room

coffeeking
    Free Member

Most garages are not much more secure than a shed anyway. Anyone determined will get your bikes, all you can hope to do is deter those who’re just passing and fancy a go.

It’s the storage solutions I’m interested in, as my garage is a mess!

dirtyrider
    Free Member

outside the house?

ground anchor,
    lot of locks,
    45 gallon oil drum full of concrete with a ground anchor in the middle
    lock a step ladder to it
    alternate front to back so they cannot be pushed along
    fashion some sort of crude cage within shed to lock them in

falkirk-mark

http://www.amazon.com/Lehigh-Group-SS18-6-Screw-Bicycle/dp/B0002C69MO
    I use these on a beam across the roof (seem to be as good as anything else I have seen)

flow
    Free Member

Coffeeking

Fark keeping your bike in the garage, mine is in the bedroom.

dazh

+1 for bikes being in the house. Drives the wife crazy but like I said to her, would you leave 2 grand in cash lying around in the back garden?

flow
    Free Member

Exactly, no wonder so many bikes get stolen 🙄

jazid
    Free Member

interesting views. I aleeady have the racer in the bedroom on the turbo, which is the only space available and went down like a lead balloon.
    I have no garage, so a shed is my only option. Access to the garden is from the front only, and if some scrote wants my bike bad enough they’ll get it anyway.
    Ill be conreting in a scafolding eyelet and rigging some sort of lock (through a hole ill have to cut in the side of the nice new shed:( )

ourmaninthenorth

Yes, a shed is insecure. As is a garage. But you can do two things to look after your bikes: (1) apply decent security measures and (2) make sure they are properly insured.

Having done that, it’s then a case of how to store them. I’ll take some pics soon of how my bikes are stored in my garage – can’t hang from ceiling (asbestos tiles), so they’re hung from one wall 2.5ft(d) x 10ft(w) x 8ft(h). Comfortably fit 8 bikes into that space.

Do a search for Stoner’s shed – not his (famous) current one, but his previous one – shows how to store bikes neatly in a shed and retain work and other storage space.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Anyone use one of these 19mm motorbike chains?
    http://www.elitesecuritysupplies.com/locks_and_chains.htm

z1ppy

Horatio, yes I use and recommend Almax chains (series 4 in my case):

http://www.almax-security-chains.co.uk/

though Pragmasis are a similar porduct:
    http://www.torc-anchors.com/products.php?cat=16

Stoner
    Free Member

Do a search for Stoner’s shed – not his (famous) current one, but his previous one – shows how to store bikes neatly in a shed and retain work and other storage space.

Unfortunately behind a firewall ATM so cant access my picasa account to post pics. My old shed used front wheel hangers in a 45degree herringbone arrangement along one wall. The new shed has them at 90degrees, but fewer bikes (5 now). But the new shed has more “other” stuff in it.

Will have a go at posting on another pc in a bit.

Shandy
    Free Member

Wall hangers with the bikes vertical is probably the most space-efficient. If I was laying mine out again I would have the bikes vertical and then a lot of shelves down the other sides. Hangers for tyres and wheels are also very handy as they are an awkward shape and get in the way on the floor but they’re not likely to fit in the shelves.

Stoner
    Free Member

old shed:

no pics of the layout in the new one yet. Will try and remember to do it this weekend for future shed-bragging threads 😉

carbon337
    Free Member

That 6×4 shed above is giving me ideas – ive 3 bikes in my 6×4 at the mo – the FS is vertical, the roady in for easy access and the mrs Halfords jobby is packed away in the corner never to be used.

Could do with getting them all vertical like that one above.

Harry_the_Spider

I like the rail/bungee arrangement shown above.

I’ve got to get 5 adult and 2 kids bikes in a 6×4 shed. Hanging the adult bikes by the front wheel on the 6′ wall looks like it will be the best option.

philconsequence
    Free Member

mrsconsequence insists we keep the bikes in the house, i’m not going to argue with that one 8)

trail_rat
    Free Member

**** buying a shed – 1200 quid for something 6×10 that you could blow over with a strong fart !

bought 3/4s tonne of wood from the sawmill for 300 quid …. and built a shed with 16mm shiplap in a day and a half

propper job ! – does help i have access to a chop saw and a nail guns !

door nearly in one corner rather than the middle helps too

Stoner
    Free Member

If you’re going to wave your willy trail-rat, at least have some bricks and a wine rack in there… 😉
    [img]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/_t5w43Q6t-Qs/TUbW25qpr_I/AAAAAAAAMc4/nPigasU1R90/s640/P1000690.JPG[/img]

ceiling storage:

trail_rat
    Free Member

dont drink wine and i need to be able to move my shed if i move house , although my landlord seems keen for me to build him one – even at 600 quid ! ….. two birds – 1 stone there …. as due to mrs t-rs job we will likely be moving again end of summer

cooie

@ Stoner, what size was your old shed?

Stoner
    Free Member

I think I had a custom 11’x12′ made. Or it might have been 10’x12’…dont remember.

Anyway, that photo was taken dform the door end (double door), bikes down LHS until 3 feet from the door wall where a set of shelves took the corner.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

ment to pic a bike up from a guy in manchester that had a storage container in his garden,

was full off motorbikes and cycles,

looked very secure

smaller one here

jazid
    Free Member

interesting views. I aleeady have the racer in the bedroom on the turbo, which is the only space available and went down like a lead balloon.
    I have no garage, so a shed is my only option. Access to the garden is from the front only, and if some scrote wants my bike bad enough they’ll get it anyway.
    Ill be conreting in a scafolding eyelet and rigging some sort of lock (through a hole ill have to cut in the side of the nice new shed:( )

headfirst
    Free Member

Stoner:

I would propose that what you have there is a garage, not a shed, in that it is partly brick-built, has a tiled roof, is large enough to accommodate a car, and looks like you probably needed planning permission for it.

For those reasons you are disqualified from the willy-waving contest.

Stoner
    Free Member

only 12’x12′ with a 850mm door!

Maybe I could squeeze a clown car in? 😉

wwaswas

I agree with headfirst – if you can’t see underneath it then it’s not a shed.

jazid
    Free Member

Perhaps foolishly I decided to stop insuring my bikes about 4 years ago(mainly because I didn’t meet the ground anchor requirements).
    The hooks that you screw into the beam overhead aee also available from Tescos.
    Regarding the beam and bungie solution. I prefer the thought of bungie through the front wheel with the rear resting on the ground myself.
    Logically it seems less stressful the front wheel.
    I’ve also seen people lay vinyl floor covering down which also seems to make sense.

Vortexracing

Not a shed but my ‘home from home’

garage c by eastham_david, on Flickr

matthewjb
    Free Member

Not a shed but this is how I store mine in the garage

Garage by Matthewjb, on Flickr

You could use a similar solution on the end wall in the shed.

The brackets were about £15 for 5 on eBay.

matthewjb
    Free Member

Stoner’s ‘shed’ is definitly not a shed.

<Middle class mode>

Do you find the temperature fluctuations in the shed affect the wine?

</Middle class mode>

trail_rat
    Free Member

Less stressful on the front wheel – i presume your bike are for show …….

Doh !!!!

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

I’ve got this…..
    http://www.descent-world.co.uk/2010/08/07/safe-as-part-1-asgard-secure-bike-storage/

With these locking them inside…..
    http://www.descent-world.co.uk/2011/01/16/safe-as-part-2-pragmasis-security-products/

Would recommend both. I actually feel safer with the bikes in there with a couple of ground anchors and 19mm chains than I would in the flat.

redthunder
    Free Member

I have a Elliot building 🙂 also has a resale value.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘Show me…. your Shed and clever storage options’ is closed to new replies.