Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Show me your Santa Cruz TRc's
  • stewartc
    Free Member

Finally got to get my new Santa Cruz Blur TRc’s tires dirty today after a little layoff due to injury and I have to say I am impressed so far considering I came from a Yeti ASR-5.
    Here is mine, show me yours…………..

kinger

Also loving mine….

JPcapel
    Free Member

Lovely looking bike. What weight is it?

I recently got a Yeti asr5, instead of the Trc having considered both.
    Be very interested to hear your observations between the 2, as the Yeti was your previous ride, and to me, they are very similar frames (VPP link aside).

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    dreednya

No don’t……………it’s the one bike that would get me to part with my Mojo

stewartc
    Free Member

JPcapel – Original had a large ASR-5 Alloy frame which was just a little too big, so decided to get a medium carbon as I liked the Yeti so much, however, no mediums were available and I saw the TRc frame in the shop so thought, why not, as most of the components could cross over!
    Currently running most of the components from the Yeti (XT groupset/Mavic Crossmax STs) and it comes in around 11kg.
    Observations based on a couple of hours of single track today, its quick, a little too quick as I kept miss-judging my entry speed into corners. It also seems to climb better than the Yeti although with the light frame I am struggling to keep the nose down, BB height is not an issue based on the previous frame although some people seem to think this is an issue. Out on a more demanding ride tomorrow so should get a better idea on the differences.

JPcapel
    Free Member

The TRc remains a “what if” bike for me.

If your finding it faster than the ASR5 – it must fly!

My purchase of the Yeti is literally the reverse of yours, was intending to get the TRc, then saw the Yeti and thought, similar angles, geometry, etc and half the price and thought worth a punt.
    Have been amazed what I can get away riding on it, jumps/drops probably much more suited to a 6″ travel bike. I run a 140 fork.

My only complaint with the Yeti is climbing, its quick, feels light, but the shock set up seems quite crucial to get right. I have recently got the fox air volume spacer in my air can with very good results.
    I suspect the VPP link must prop the TRc up a little when climbing, without needing the shock to be the prop.
    Agree the BB of the Yeti is very low and aware TRc is similar. You get use to it and handling is superb as a trade off when being so low.

Please do post again (as remains a consideration for me) after you’ve ridden it more.

kinger

Having been the Yeti rep for the UK for the last few years, I have to say I am loving my TrC after my change in jobs – so light but feels so stiff too.
    Interestingly after years on Yetis, all the reviews said to be mindful of the low BB on the TrC but I am yet to clip my pedals once. I was used to the low BB of my Asr5A/C so was expecting it on the TrC but have not yet found it to be the case, wierd.
    It certainly ticks all the boxes that I am looking for in a bike to be honest – yes, it’s expensive but it’s also an amazing ride
    Stu

cinnamon_girl

* bookmarks thread *

Who’s running with a 120mm fork and why not 140mm?

Thanks. 🙂

kinger

Fork currently set at 130mm fork but may put it back at 140mm for summer riding in places further away….

geetee1972
    Free Member

Have been amazed what I can get away riding on it, jumps/drops probably much more suited to a 6″ travel bike.

I can vouch for what JP is doing, but he does however fail to mention that he only weighs 60kg 😀

Interestingly after years on Yetis, all the reviews said to be mindful of the low BB on the TrC but I am yet to clip my pedals once.

I don’t think there’s anything that has a more profound effect on a bike’s handling than the height of the BB. My custom Nicolai is barely 13″ off the ground, measuring the static BB height, and it’s running 150mm of travel. I hardly ever clip the ground either but that’s because I’m so used to what I can and can’t pedal through. Sure it is a little restrictive on technical climbs (no more than my lack of fitness though) but it corners sublimely.

cinnamon_girl

kinger – thanks for that. 🙂

wrecker
    Free Member

I like those very much but at nearly £3000 for a frame, I’ll never have one.
    You chaps must be loaded.

kudos100
    Free Member

Very sexy Kinger. If they make an alloy version, I would be tempted.

druidh
    Free Member

Who do you work for now Stu?

stewartc
    Free Member

JPcapel – Did some climbing (big hills in HK) and some light XC stuff yesterday (video on my YouTube channel) and I have to say, for hauling a 90kg guy like me around it does feel quicker than my old ally ASR-5.
    For the XC I had my Talas set down to 110 for most of it as it wasn’t that technical, planning to do some more tricky Trail/AM stuff next weekend…wife permitting.

cinnamon_girl

Bumpity bump. 🙂

Anyone care to update this thread or, indeed, anyone else recently got a TRc?

Thanks!

humdinger
    Free Member

So I’m joining this thread a little late but was interested to know if anyone’s tried out some 650Bs on their TRc yet? Seems to be plenty of room to do this with the Santa Cruz’s, especially the TRc for some reason

650b/27.5″ Mountain Bike Round Up

I rode the TRc for an extended weekend, primarily as I was interested to see the contrast with my Mojo HD 140, and the other test-bike I’d ridden the weekend before, the ASR5c. I have to say I thought the TRc was a blast to ride, agreeing with most of what’s been said here; tight, stiff, nimble, fast, etc etc, but I did find I clashed the pedals a fair amount if I wasn’t concentrating on avoiding this. This let it down as an all-rounder for me, as my local trails involve quite few steep technical switchbacks etc and the pedal clashing got annoying IMHO, but for fast singletrack it was a hoot. This is all of course a matter of opinion, as one man’s (or woman’s!) donkey, is another man’s thoroughbred… I personally also don’t quite rate the VPP suspension quite as highly as the Dw-link on the Ibis, but again a personal feel thing.

I chose to stick with my Mojo HD 140 over both the TRc and the ASR5c, as I felt it held the all-rounder title more, being equally adept at ripping singletrack, but very few pedal strikes at all on the same techy ground, and I personally love the way the Dw-link suspension rides. An added bonus I love about the HD is that it can easily be switched into a 160mm all-mountain ripper, by just keeping a spare shock and fork. This change is now taking me <15 mins with only an allen-key set in the car-park, and the bike becomes a completely different beast, from a ~25lb singletrack ripper, to a ~28lb gravity sled. Jekyll and Hyde if you will 🙂

Anyways, has anybody here tried a TRc with 650Bs yet??? This by all accounts stems the problem of the low BB, and furthers the already impressive trail-ripping capability it had in 26″ guise….?

simonm
    Free Member

140mm all the way…

Carlos45
    Free Member

photo.JPG by Doncarlos45, on Flickr

Absolutely loving it.

White stem was just a stop gap…

thesinner75
    Free Member

[/url]

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Show me your Santa Cruz TRc's’ is closed to new replies.