Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 90 total)
  • Show me your: Race Hard Tails
  • jamesfifield

Looking for inspiration. Bring on the carbon, the bar ends, and maybe even the 2×10?

gee
    Free Member

Hi

Not carbon or bar ends but 100% XC race bike.

GB

[Url]http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/salsa-ala-carte-ti-much-better-pics[/url]

foxyrider
    Free Member

Carbon –
    Bar Ends –
    2×10 –

njee20
    Free Member

No bar ends, but I threw this together for a couple of early season races to avoid trashing my bouncy bike. It was nice, but my Top Fuel is quicker.

trail_rat
    Free Member

the lesser spotted -trail rat bike with gears fitted on the right

Mrs T-R`s race bike

puffer mode

epicsteve
    Free Member

Not that I race though:

It's had carbon bars and bar ends but was switched back to risers as I prefer it.

Built up from the spares bin (other than the wheels which were nicked from my Epic). 23.1lbs on my scales, despite the 26/36/48 Deore chainset and Deore hydros – both of which are not light!

njee20
    Free Member

Oh if we're doing weights too, the Pedal Force was 19.8lbs at BMBS1 with Rocket Rons, actually the lightest bike I've weighed this season, on a £200 frame! 🙂

Bar ends seem to be dying out, more and more people using risers now, interesting to see. I'm certainly not missing flat bars this season.

phildowling
    Free Member

Not the best picture but you get the idea, will be razzing it around at Mayhem for 24 hours solo

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Nothing mega flashy but it's light, super responsive and ideal for racing. Now upgraded everything except the front wheel (about to do this) and the mechs which just WILL NOT break!!

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Built up from the spares bin (other than the wheels which were nicked from my Epic). 23.1lbs on my scales, despite the 26/36/48 Deore chainset and Deore hydros – both of which are not light!

I can't see a pic, but I suspect your scales need calibrating.

trail_rat
    Free Member

haha me too kingtut – my merida as pictured was about 21.5. without its gears it was about 19

my missus bike is 24.6lbs – a saving of 10lbs over her previous scott contessa

epicsteve
    Free Member

I'll try again with the picture!

The scales are probably about right as most of the other bits on the bike are light – sub 3lb Dave Hinde M3 frame, SID Race forks, American Classic wheels with Speed King Supersonics.

I've also found my full-suss quicker overall. Comparing GPS traces for the same route shows my Epic (which is just short of 2lbs heavier) very slightly slower on the climbs but significantly faster downhill and slightly faster on flat sections. That's with the same wheels and tyres and similar forks (SID Teams on the Epic).

Coleman
    Free Member

Carbon – Yes
    Bar ends – Yes
    2 x 9 – No (but never use granny – honest!)

njee20
    Free Member

Bar ends should be at the same angle as the stem, looks wrong otherwise!

KINGTUT
    Free Member

trail_rat
    Free Member

nick – if i put my bar ends at the same angle as stem they would be pointing down !

Coleman
    Free Member

njee – you are of course correct.
    Photo taken at initial build. Steerer since cut down, seat higher and more importantly bar ends now line up with stem!

njee20
    Free Member

Good good, well done!

I'll forgive you Terry, that is the only instance when it's excusable!

PiknMix
    Free Member

njee20 – Member

Bar ends should be at the same angle as the stem, looks wrong otherwise!

Or where they are most comfortable for the rider?

njee20
    Free Member

Or where they are most comfortable for the rider?

WTF!? Who cares about comfort? It's what it looks like. Surely no one on here actually rides their bike!?

trickydisco
    Free Member

sub 3lb scandium frame. 2×9 middleburn and now sporting 2.1 racing ralphs

weighed in on some non calibrated scales at around 21 lbs (with pedals*)

*before anyone asks i have 1 set of pedals that i swap between bikes and when i took the photo they were on my enduro

njee20
    Free Member

Saddle angle!?

Sorry, I'm obviously in a critical mood today!

xc-steve
    Free Member

Pretty box standard, couldn't be doing with a long stem so a little bit more sit up and beg then the usual!

bol

No carbon, bar ends, 2×10 or even anything particularly light, but quick, fun, comfortable (for a HT) and a smudge under 24lbs including pedals. It's what I'll be aiming for mid-field on this year. 😀

oddjob
    Free Member

That Hinde thing up there ^ is minging

trickydisco
    Free Member

Saddle angle!?

yep.. it's fked in the pic.. Now completely level you'll be glad to know 🙂

epicsteve
    Free Member

That Hinde thing up there ^ is minging

The Dave Hinde transfers look like they've been cut out and stuck on by a 4-year old and the paintjob isn't great either. It's a nice frame though – I used to have one exactly the same except blue and badged as a Terry Dolan, and it looked a lot nicer.

donsimon
    Free Member

Now with Carbon flats and bar ends, shorter stem and Time pedals. I'm also in the process of looking at 2X9 as the granny is never used.

Great bike and only quick in the right hands, which unfortunately are not mine! 😥

njee20
    Free Member

Ooo, nice, don't see many Orbeas.

2×9 is the way forward, good to see several on this thread!

P20

Not technically a hardtail and i've never raced it, but i think it qualifies.

Barend – yes
    Carbon – Yes (time atac carbons)
    2X10 – its a P20??? 😆

donsimon
    Free Member

njee20 – Member

Saddle angle!?

Sorry, I'm obviously in a critical mood today!

njee20 – Member

Ooo, nice, don't see many Orbeas.

Phew! Thanks, not really sure why, but it took a while to get used to and now I'm more comfortable with it, I love it.

Not sure if I can justify the cost of 2X9 just yet, see whether I get back racing again.

njee20
    Free Member

Hardly any cost, a couple of TA Chinook rings and some short bolts. £50 at most.

trail_rat
    Free Member

2×9 is soooo 2 years ago …..its all 1×1 now

njee20
    Free Member

Actually 2×10 appears to be the way forward!

By the way, the 1930s called… they want their singlespeed gearing back!

trail_rat
    Free Member

did you take their number ?

epicsteve
    Free Member

I'm tempted to give 2×9 a go on my Epic, given I never use the granny ring anyway. What size chainrings are folks running?

trail_rat
    Free Member

used to run 29:42 – these days id* run 28:40

donsimon
    Free Member

trail_rat – Member

2×9 is soooo 2 years ago …..its all 1×1 now

You mean like this…

I have considered racing it, perfect excuse for not finishing top 10. 😆

What size chainrings are folks running?

I'm going to start a new thread on this so the OP can have this one back. 😉

njee20
    Free Member

I did 32/44, then 30/42, then 28/40. 28/40 was the best IMO.

ZaskarCarbon
    Free Member

Well, seeing as it wasn't specified what type of racing the hardtail was for, here's one of my Zaskar Carbon Team Issues which I use for 4X, and generally hooning about on (saddle up in pic because it's a damn sight easier to ride!).

MRP chain device, X0, Hope Team Green Pro IIIs and Tech X2s. Bombproof – 25lb. And for sale (again) soon after the last buyer messed me about.. Grrrrr!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 90 total)

The topic ‘Show me your: Race Hard Tails’ is closed to new replies.